PDA

View Full Version : How good is your memory

PartisanEntity
September 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
The other day, I saw a short documentary about a man who had a form of brain cancer. The treatment lead to memory loss.

Not wanting to put up with that he began to train his memory and is now a memory champion in possession of several medals.

How good is your memory? Do you know anyone with exceptional memory?

My memory is pretty average I would say.

OffHand
September 25th, 2007, 01:02 PM
What was the question again?

ukripper
September 25th, 2007, 01:05 PM
i only remember what i tell my brain to remember.. so i guess very limited one

conehead77
September 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM

LOL

i heard hypnotism helps with memory...

kerry_s
September 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM
my memory sucks. i know just how that guy felt, i fell 3 stories and lost have my memory to brain damage, to this day i'm still trying to learn those things i can't remember, i lost years of schooling, army training, can't remember people, it just sucks.

Nano Geek
September 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
The other day, I saw a short documentary about a man who had a form of brain cancer. The treatment lead to memory loss.

Not wanting to put up with that he began to train his memory and is now a memory champion in possession of several medals.

How good is your memory? Do you know anyone with exceptional memory?

My memory is pretty average I would say.I personally believe that, why I have a short memory, because some… people out there in our nation that don’t have memories, and I believe that our brains, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should… our brains over here in the U.S., should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.., for our children...

:)

ukripper
September 25th, 2007, 01:20 PM
For effective memory use DDR3:guitar: Next generation memory still bloody expensive though

PartisanEntity
September 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I personally believe that, why I have a short memory, because some… people out there in our nation that don’t have memories, and I believe that our brains, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should… our brains over here in the U.S., should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.., for our children...

LOL! I didn't expect this. Nice one, sitting here in the office cracking up :)

ddrichardson
September 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM
One guy I work with, you can pick up a book and open it to a random page - show it to him and put it down. Then he starts repeating the text verbatim. Blows my mind.

Psychologically speaking, the theory for short term memory is the "magic seven" - that up to seven items are stored at one time, althought the average appears to be five. Personally I have terrible short term memory - I will typically only remember three things at once.

What's even more interesting is when you consider sensory memory, which should be independant of other senses, there are however cases of people who are capable of intermingling their senses - such as musicians who can see colour when they hear sound.

LaRoza
September 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM

I was going to say that...

My memory is better than most. I am a very fast learner, but I think that is because I enjoy it, and want to.

I am very good at remembering information, although I do have trouble remembering social things, especially if I am not paying attention.

Most of my memory is visual, I "see" the sounds, tastes, scents, textures I remember. I see program layouts, when looking at my code.

plb
September 25th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Depends....I'm always forgetting where I put stuff but can remember odd crap for no apparent reason....

ddrichardson
September 25th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Depends....I'm always forgetting where I put stuff but can remember odd crap for no apparent reason....
Actually in itself quite interesting. The only way to remember things for most people is to keep them in short term memory long enough to pass to long term memory. I am forever losing things that I put down simply because I usually put things in the same place, so there is no need to remember where I put them each time, the problem arises when I don't out them in their normal place.

Spent half an hour in a panic yesterday because I misplaced my car keys - only to find them in the leftpocket (I normally keep them in the right).

plb
September 25th, 2007, 02:39 PM
lol I blame stuff like that on stress :)

mridkash
September 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Our brain is configured to store image data more effectively than textual or logical. Imagine early man's enviornment, sights, sounds, feeling only, no books or computers!

People who have exceptional memory usually (maybe) have found a way to associate things to be remembered with images sounds etc.

Thats why we remember songs well than answers. or sometimes we remember the place we've seen but can't remember its name.

I'm no scientist but read that stuff in a book some time ago, I may be wrong!

LaRoza
September 25th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Thats why we remember songs well than answers. or sometimes we remember the place we've seen but can't remember its name.

I can't "remember" lyrics at all, I see music, not hear it (so to speak), so I can not write out the lyrics to my favourite songs. I could "see" my violin was out of tune.

Memory is extremely complex, and there are ranges of types and abilities.

ukripper
September 25th, 2007, 04:55 PM
i got different issue with my memory..I remember people faces but tend to forget their names...

v8YKxgHe
September 25th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Pah, my short-term memory sucks!

I can be coding away then I think of something I need to lookup on the net, so I rotate to another workspace with Compiz, open up Firefox and my mind just goes blank. I'm like "Wtf, what am I suppose to be looking at?"

I'm sure that cube is playing with my mind!

ddrichardson
September 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Our brain is configured to store image data more effectively than textual or logical. Imagine early man's enviornment, sights, sounds, feeling only, no books or computers!

People who have exceptional memory usually (maybe) have found a way to associate things to be remembered with images sounds etc.

Current thinking suggests that its more complicated than storing images, more that memory can be defined as three entities - short term, long term and sensory. Sensory memory appears to be what works best with those with so called photgraphic memories.

Sensory memory is pretty cool - if you say "door" to someone then an image instantly appears in their mind of their perception of a door. In my wife's case for some wierd reason she visualises a window. Explains why her version of mince and tatties tastes so unlike my mothers I guess.

jviscosi
September 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM
This week's New Yorker contained a very interesting (and long) article about a man who had a brain infection that left him with a memory span of only seconds. It's available from The New Yorker's web site (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/09/24/070924fa_fact_sacks) if anyone wants to read it.

One thing I found particularly interesting in the article is that people with amnesia such as this are able to practice a skill, such as dancing, and even though they don't remember that they've practiced, they are still able to recall and use the skill. (The patient in the article is a musician and retains the ability to read and play music even though he's forgotten everything that happened to him since 1968.)

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 05:15 PM
not as bad as i pretend it to be.

phenest
September 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I was going to say something ...........

Damn!

LaRoza
September 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
What was this thread about again? Something about KDE, right?

Nano Geek
September 25th, 2007, 05:19 PM
What was this thread about again? Something about KDE, right?What's KDE?

LaRoza
September 25th, 2007, 05:21 PM
What's KDE?

Stay OT, we are discussing Intel and AT&T syntax. (I think)

KDE is a DE.

Nano Geek
September 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM

KDE is a DE.Sorry, I forgot. So, where do I go to learn python?

LaRoza
September 25th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Sorry, I forgot. So, where do I go to learn python?

My wiki, see link in my sig.

mysticrider92
September 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I personally believe that, why I have a short memory, because some… people out there in our nation that don’t have memories, and I believe that our brains, like such as in South Africa and the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should… our brains over here in the U.S., should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future.., for our children...

She will never live that one down...

I would say my memory depends on how much sleep I have had at the time. I sometimes have trouble remembering the most basic things, and sometimes I am fine. Or maybe the computer affects my memory...

happysmileman
September 25th, 2007, 05:42 PM

KDE is a DE.

Intel FTW.

And thanks, I was wondering why KDE kept flashing up when I turned on my... erm... thingy in corner of room.

But back on topic: My pockets contain a phone, my keys, and €3.20

LaRoza
September 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Intel FTW.

AT&T is better.

Why do I feel this thread is OT?

Arwen
September 25th, 2007, 05:50 PM
I could say I have a very good memory,I very rarely forget sth I have to do but what has helped me the most is remembering numbers:birthdays or phone numbers or anything that I need,with a bit of self-concentration.None of my friends can complain about my forgeting their bday :-)

ukripper
September 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM
This thread is about word association!

ahaslam
September 25th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I purposely try to not remember a lot of things. I have limited storage space & it's already pretty fragmented.

Nano Geek
September 25th, 2007, 11:43 PM
My wiki, see link in my sig.Sorry, I thought we were kidding by posting random forgetfulness.

ukripper
September 26th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Sorry, I thought we were kidding by posting random forgetfulness.

You must have good memory to remember your username or do you write it down ?

Kowalski_GT-R
September 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM
....last page....

what was the question? :)

plb
September 26th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Pah, my short-term memory sucks!

I can be coding away then I think of something I need to lookup on the net, so I rotate to another workspace with Compiz, open up Firefox and my mind just goes blank. I'm like "Wtf, what am I suppose to be looking at?"

I'm sure that cube is playing with my mind!

lol I do that all the time...I go to do something and forget a minute later why I was there