PDA

View Full Version : windows to be unbundled.

quinnten83
September 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I came accrosst this today:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Windows-Will-Be-Unbundled-66490.shtml

This is great news if you ask me, and a chance for linux to break into the Desktop Market.
what are your thoughts?

LookTJ
September 25th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Good, now the user has their own choice to choose what OS they want on their systems. Too bad this isn't happening in the USA

SunnyRabbiera
September 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM
yeh but this could hinder linux in the long run rather then help implement it

LookTJ
September 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM
yeh but this could hinder linux in the long run rather then help implement itTrue, because you would need Internet to download the OS of choice.

SunnyRabbiera
September 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM
right, so people are probably going to buy MS anyhow as been the standard for so long.... plus its in the retail stores while a lot of linux is not.

n3tfury
September 25th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I came accrosst this today:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Windows-Will-Be-Unbundled-66490.shtml

This is great news if you ask me, and a chance for linux to break into the Desktop Market.
what are your thoughts?

you want thoughts?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=558841

quinnten83
September 25th, 2007, 12:08 PM
right, so people are probably going to buy MS anyhow as been the standard for so long.... plus its in the retail stores while a lot of linux is not.

well not necessarily,
the thing is, you now have choice. And the hardware vendors can preinstall the OS of your choice on the computer, prior to delivering it.
So yes, MS has bigger market share and will maintain that for a long time,but this is a great window of opportunity. The linux community just has to play it smart, so they can become more established.

mostwanted
September 25th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Good, now the user has their own choice to choose what OS they want on their systems. Too bad this isn't happening in the USA

It's just suggestion, doesn't mean anything is going to happen yet. To make a European-wide law you need sizable majorities in both the council and the parliament, or complete agreement in the council. The commissioners themselves just propose laws and act as executives of the trade laws.

marco123
September 25th, 2007, 12:45 PM
It's just suggestion, doesn't mean anything is going to happen yet. To make a European-wide law you need sizable majorities in both the council and the parliament, or complete agreement in the council. The commissioners themselves just propose laws and act as executives of the trade laws.

Let's hope most of those people have used Windows ME and Vista.:)

yorkie
September 25th, 2007, 02:15 PM
If this was implemented 1,MS would have to lower Windows/Vista prices to make them more attractive to customers could make MS products more popular.
2, PC/Laptops would be sold with or without Vista therefore offering choice to customers getting around new laws.
Unless more manufacturers install Linux on their products so customers can see Linux working I can`t see it making any difference at all.

mostwanted
September 26th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Let's hope most of those people have used Windows ME and Vista.:)

Obviously, politicians don't use computers. Otherwise, things would have been very diferent... >_>