PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new computer

Perfect Storm
September 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Yes, it's time to get new gear. So far I have found this;

XPS 710 Dell
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Core QX6600-processor (2,4 GHz, 1066 MHz, 8 MB cache)
Dell™ Sort 22" fladskærm i bredformat (E228WFP
SINGLE 768 MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX-grafikkort
4096 MB Dual Channel DDR2-hukommelse 677 MHz [4x1024]
500 GB Seriel ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x250GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
16x dvd+/-rw
16x dvd-drev
Integreted HDA-lydkort with Dolby Digital 7.1

It's been awhile since I've been looking on the market, so a little advise will be appriciated.

Going for Ubuntu 64-bit, so I can make alot of game guides to for 64-bit.

Thanks

regards
A.I. Dude

Greg Shallard
September 25th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Looking at your ram, wouldn't you go for 800Mhz, not the 667 Mhz?

bonzodog
September 25th, 2007, 10:51 AM
AI, dude, have you thought about building a custom box yourself?

Go to somewhere like Komplett (http://www.komplett.dk/k/k.aspx) and order from there.

I built my machine from them, an AMD 64 3000+ with an MSI nforce Motherboard and Nvidia Geforce GPU. It rocks.

And the entire thing Just Works.

aristotlewilde
September 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I have to second bonzo dog's statement.

I built my first PC a couple of years ago and was scared. It is really not hard though, and you get exactly what you want.

Another perk is that you can re-use some of the components from your old PC (optical drives, hard drives, any add-on cards, etc...).

I just picked up a dual core AMD 2.2ghz CPU w/ motehrboard combo at Newegg for $117usd. It's socket 939, so it is a step back from current gen, but it's not running Windows, so it is WAY more than solid for an Ubuntu build. Toss in 2gb of RAM for $100, and a 160gb hard drive for $29, and I've got the makings of a solid box that can do all I throw at it with ease (I salvaged an Nvidia 6600gt from teh wife's box).

NOW....

When looking at the machine you picked out there, you may do well buying it as a package deal as you are pretty much buying on the cutting/bleeding edge.

That's a lot of machne! I know that you can never have TOO MUCH machine, but you may end up overpaying for buying all the shiny shiny.

**edit
I looked on Dell's website and couldn't even find that model. I didn't look that hard though. I was able to configure one that was very similar though and the price was outrageous. I'd seriously consider a DIY build if you have the stomach. I just tossed some random components together on Newegg and came up with a similar machine for about $2k.

Nano Geek
September 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM
If I were you, I wouldn't get an quad-core. I've heard that they don't give you much of a performance gain over the Core 2 Duo, and they cost a lot more.

notwen
September 25th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Whatever you decide on and go for, post your final specs and let us know how getting everything installed/working goes. =] Wish I could afford to get a new machine w/ specs remotely close to that. =]

Bannor
September 25th, 2007, 03:22 PM
keep in mind that dell and hp etc are all just names on the box ... don't pay extra for those models. Names like acer lenotov are cheaper for the same stuff (cpu,ram,etc) and many warrenties will be immeadiatly void if you add another operating system. as with all things computer go to www.newegg.com

Perfect Storm
September 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all the good advise, people.

Looking at your ram, wouldn't you go for 800Mhz, not the 667 Mhz?

any notable diffrence between the two?

Go to somewhere like Komplett and order from there.

Thanks for the link I'll check it out.

I looked on Dell's website and couldn't even find that model. I didn't look that hard though. I was able to configure one that was very similar though and the price was outrageous. I'd seriously consider a DIY build if you have the stomach. I just tossed some random components together on Newegg and came up with a similar machine for about $2k.

It's an offer I saw on dell.dk (Denmark): http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/3x_dt_cat3?c=dk&cs=dkdhs1&l=da&s=dhs&redirect=1

Nothing is set, I'll examin what's on the market first.

Roger Mudd
September 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
AI,
Just built a custom machine myself that matches up well with the specs you posted for approximately $1,100 US. Purchased via Newegg. This build was sans monitor and keyboard and included only one DVD-R/W optical drive. I opted for a 640mb 8800GTS while picking up a 2.66 C2D processor. I advise at least looking into the DIY route. It can save you money.
That said, I have no problem if people want to support Dell as they've done some good things in pushing open source to the forefront. Also, while often underpowered at their price point, these big-name towers are usually designed very well. There is something to be said for good heat/sound management.
A lot of first-time DIY rigs end up soudning like hovercraft. I know mine did as I just cobbled together the fastest components I could.

hessiess
September 25th, 2007, 06:49 PM
dont get the quad unless you are doing 3d rendering or video encoding, as 99% of programs are single thredid, and wont make any use of the extra cores

ive just buld a computer with the q6600, i do 3d work, the quad dramaticly improves render times:) goes from 1/2 an hower on my old computer, 1.66 dual 2 gig ram, to 10 munites q6600 gig ram

chicoicho
September 25th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Yes, it's time to get new gear. So far I have found this;

XPS 710 Dell
Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Core QX6600-processor (2,4 GHz, 1066 MHz, 8 MB cache)
Dell™ Sort 22" fladskærm i bredformat (E228WFP
SINGLE 768 MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX-grafikkort
4096 MB Dual Channel DDR2-hukommelse 677 MHz [4x1024]
500 GB Seriel ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x250GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
16x dvd+/-rw
16x dvd-drev
Integreted HDA-lydkort with Dolby Digital 7.1

It's been awhile since I've been looking on the market, so a little advise will be appriciated.

Going for Ubuntu 64-bit, so I can make alot of game guides to for 64-bit.

Thanks

regards
A.I. Dude

Dude this computer is greath, and how many cost ???

Perfect Storm
September 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM
16.890,- DKR (danish crowns), around $3.203

Siph0n
September 25th, 2007, 07:30 PM
$3,000 US seems like a LOT for a computer :( Did you try looking at all the pieces seperately on newegg.com or another side?

Perfect Storm
September 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Not yet, but it have to be a company/shop in my country. It would be a bad idea buying it from US as it will get taxed beyond dreams. (25% last I checked).

igknighted
September 25th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I would hold off long enough to see what the new ATI drivers are like. It might be worth getting an HD2900XT card instead if the OSS drivers and FGLRX 8.42.X turn out to be the real deal (which seems likely). I am upgrading my card soon and will go with either an 8600 or HD2600XT, but I'm waiting for 8.42.X to be sure.

Greg Shallard
September 29th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Not yet, but it have to be a company/shop in my country. It would be a bad idea buying it from US as it will get taxed beyond dreams. (25% last I checked).

When I put the 800 Mhz DDr2 in my box I noticed a substantial increase in performance of the 667 Mhz!