PDA

View Full Version : The GNOME Devs Are Brainless

kadath
September 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM
It's been a massive pet peeve of mine that the GTK File Chooser (AKA "the open / save dialog") doesn't have a thumbnail view for images. This is a pain when trying to upload images with Firefox, in particular.

Well, just a few moments ago I ran across this on Ars Technica:

In GNOME 2.20, the file dialog now supports searching and displaying recently used files...

Although these new features are useful and tangibly improve usability, GNOME's file dialogs are still extremely weak in many respects. For instance, the file dialogs still do not support even basic file management tasks like renaming and deletion. The file dialogs also lack adequate support for thumbnail display. Dialogs in some applications will show a thumbnail for one item at a time, but the file dialog windows do not display thumbnails next to individual files in the list—a feature that can be found in both KDE and Windows. It's a serious deficiency that has long detracted from the general usefulness of GNOME's file dialogs. In many cases, when I use a file dialog in GNOME, I find myself opening up a Nautilus browser and navigating to the same path so that I can see thumbnails or perform file maintenance tasks before saving or loading.

The full article is here (http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/gnome-2-20-review.ars).

How clueless are the GNOME devs? They add a ****ing search feature but continue to ignore requests for basic things like a thumbnail view!

I use Xfce because of the GNOME devs' apparent lack of interest in users' feedback, but being based on GTK, even Xfce suffers from these inherited deficiencies.

If I didn't use so many GTK apps and love Xfce, I would've moved to KDE a long time ago :mad:

loell
September 25th, 2007, 07:59 AM
so, you are blaming Gtk now huh?

kadath
September 25th, 2007, 08:07 AM
so, you are blaming Gtk now huh?

Come again?

GNOME does maintain the GtkFileChooser, does it not? If so, then I'd say that they're to blame for shipping a fundamentally broken file chooser that doesn't even have a thumbnail view out-of-the-box.

Yes, I realize some GTK apps (GIMP for example) feature a thumbnail pane, but the fact is, it had to be added to that app's file chooser. The default file chooser doesn't have it.

So yes, some of the blame for Firefox not having a thumbnail pane for images goes to Mozilla for not implementing one, but most of the blame lays with GNOME for not making it a standard feature in the first place.

loell
September 25th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Come again?

GNOME does maintain the GtkFileChooser, does it not?

http://www.gtk.org/people.html

loell
September 25th, 2007, 08:26 AM
before trashing GNOME Devs and gtk development team

you should have read this,

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.12/GtkFileChooser.html

search for Adding a Preview Widget

its up-to the individual countless development teams of the countless gtk apps to implement it.

please be more careful on what you say next time, i wouldn't say brainless i can even say more of a common sense on their part.

kadath
September 25th, 2007, 08:39 AM
before trashing GNOME Devs and gtk development team

you should have read this,

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.12/GtkFileChooser.html

search for Adding a Preview Widget

its up-to the individual countless development teams of the countless gtk apps to implement it.

please be more careful on what you say next time, i wouldn't say brainless i can even say more of a common sense on their part.

So Firefox not having an image thumbnail pane is essentially entirely Mozilla's fault? If so, then I stand corrected and will fully admit to being a retarded loudmouth that jumped the gun.

Still, GNOME not including such a simple feature in its desktop by default is baffling.

loell
September 25th, 2007, 08:47 AM
So Firefox not having an image thumbnail pane is essentially entirely Mozilla's fault? If so, then I stand corrected and will fully admit to being a retarded loudmouth that jumped the gun.

Still, GNOME not including such a simple feature in its desktop by default is baffling.

perhaps in due time , i believe those default GNOME APPs have their respective developers and maintainers , if the App will be more useful having a preview widget in their filechoosers then we should march in their mailing list and/or forums requesting this feature :KS

mostwanted
September 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM
The GNOME Devs Are Brainless

There is such a thing as constructive criticism. You don't spend your spare time making software for free, so you should be humble, not taunting.

K.Mandla
September 25th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Let's call this discussion complete. If someone has a burning desire to add an extraordinarily pithy comment, contact a staff member to have this reopened.