PDA

View Full Version : Running banner adds independently of the web browser

riminicat
September 25th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Ok, I know its possible I just don't have the programming skills to do it. I was thinking that it would be really cool to take an Ubuntu banner ad and make it run without the web browser so that I could turn it into my application panel. Any idea's?

riminicat
September 25th, 2007, 03:54 AM
sorry, i meant ads

kostkon
September 25th, 2007, 04:47 AM
For what reason would you want ads on your panel?!

Actually, I am a bit confused; what do you mean by saying Ubuntu banner ads??!

Please, could you be more specific in order to help the people that will see your thread, to understand what you want to say?! :)

riminicat
September 25th, 2007, 05:03 AM
yes, there is a program that filters the banner ads on firefox so that they show some cool ones that have linux and ubuntu. I want to take that animated banner and use it as an applications menu so that my applications menu is animated.

riminicat
September 25th, 2007, 05:09 AM
there is a banner ad here that i can turn into my aplications menu:
http://www.impilinux.co.za/images/topstrip_01.jpg

The problem is some banner ads are animated.

riminicat
September 25th, 2007, 05:13 AM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_-keIPI3rNgc/RcSvDJ0H5eI/AAAAAAAAABc/YCjfVNGP62k/s1600-h/Linux-Revolution.gif

There it is, I want to save that image and use that as the design for my applications menu, the only problem is that I can't get it to stay animated

Ramses de Norre
September 25th, 2007, 10:10 AM
You'll need a gif-viewer, if you want it on your panel you'll need to write some sort of plug-in which is basically just an image viewer that sits on your panel. Which panel are we talking about? (Gnome, KDE, pypanel, ...)

riminicat
September 25th, 2007, 06:09 PM
I'm probably going to write it for gnome, I use gnome the most. I've been talking to my coworkers to see if they have any ideas because most of them fun ubuntu and had to take programming for the jobs they hold.