PDA

View Full Version : oh man, this is bad!

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 02:50 AM
so, for some odd reason, i decided to give mpd a shot. well, before the novelty wore off, i somehow got it working. now, i'm loving ncmpc, but i don't trust this mpd thing one bit (i haven't been this paranoid since the last time i reinstalled windows ME).

rsambuca
September 25th, 2007, 02:54 AM
so, for some odd reason, i decided to give mpd a shot. well, before the novelty wore off, i somehow got it working. now, i'm loving ncmpc, but i don't trust this mpd thing one bit (i haven't been this paranoid since the last time i reinstalled windows ME).

Huh? Multiple Personality Disorder?

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Huh? Multiple Personality Disorder?

holy poop! is that what i've installed???

~LoKe
September 25th, 2007, 02:55 AM
MPD is beautiful. I almost cried when it stopped working for a couple weeks.

I suggest installing the "Sonata" front-end.

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 02:57 AM
MPD is beautiful. I almost cried when it stopped working for a couple weeks.

I suggest installing the "Sonata" front-end.

i took about a five minute look at sonata - didn't like it.

Tux Aubrey
September 25th, 2007, 03:08 AM
Myeloproliferative disorders (MPDs) are a closely related group of hematological malignancies in which the bone marrow cells that produce the body's blood cells develop and function abnormally. The disorders are progressive blood cancers that can strike anyone at any age, and for which there is no known cure. The three main myeloproliferative disorders are Polycythemia Vera (PV), Essential Thrombocythemia (ET) and Chronic Idiopathic Myelofibrosis (MF).

I think you are over-reacting, fuscia. That doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as Windows ME.

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I think you are over-reacting, fuscia. That doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as Windows ME.

dude, you're on crack. ME is the very best thing microsoft ever produced. it was almost as if they said "screw security attempts, just go out and have fun." (which is what i did.)

FuturePilot
September 25th, 2007, 03:21 AM
I have no clue what anyone is talking about. What is mpd?

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 03:29 AM
I have no clue what anyone is talking about. What is mpd?

'music player daemon' (i think. i don't really know wtf it's called).

FuturePilot
September 25th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Is it in the repos?

Frak
September 25th, 2007, 03:32 AM
'music player daemon' (i think. i don't really know wtf it's called).
No, you got it :)

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Is it in the repos?

yup. i also give my semi-stamped approval to ncmpc (which apparently has something to do with it) as well.

rsambuca
September 25th, 2007, 04:02 AM
It only took me about 12 posts to figure out what you guys are talking about.

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 04:19 AM

that beats me.

FuturePilot
September 25th, 2007, 04:29 AM

At least I wasn't the only one confused:lolflag:

sunexplodes
September 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Man, I love the MPD/Sonata combo.

I have a library of 4000+ songs, and my playlists and library load nearly instantly. It's fast as hell, resource-light, and feature-rich. What's not to love?

Tux Aubrey
September 25th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Hurumph! Fuscia recommends Windows ME (and, on another thread, Windows 95) - but I'm the one supposedly on crack.:confused:

potrick
September 25th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Not only that, but he compared MPD to ME.

What the hell is going on?

3rdalbum
September 25th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I figured out how to set up MPD... but it took me a fair while. I love the idea of a very lightweight music player that doesn't even need a GUI program running in order to continue playback; but my music collection is spread across multiple partitions and MPD doesn't seem to be able to handle this even with symbolic links.

I'm sticking with Exaile.

mcduck
September 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I figured out how to set up MPD... but it took me a fair while. I love the idea of a very lightweight music player that doesn't even need a GUI program running in order to continue playback; but my music collection is spread across multiple partitions and MPD doesn't seem to be able to handle this even with symbolic links.

I'm sticking with Exaile.

It IS able to handle that, at least it works for me. Just symlink all your music directories into separate directories inside /var/lib/mpd/music (or whatever the default MPD music dir was).

Actually it even works if some of those directories are on removable drives, just don't update the library if those drives are not connected. I have about half of my music in three separate directories on a removable drive, and the rest inside my /home. No problem there.. :D

jethro10
September 25th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Can someone explain this a bit more for a thicky like me?
I'm a bit lost.

especially the client side of it, can the client be elsewhere to the main server?
Are there hardware clients?
why is this different from DAAP or the uPnP servers out there?
Is there a Windows client?

Ta
J

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 12:23 PM
I'm a bit lost.

especially the client side of it, can the client be elsewhere to the main server?

Ta
J

there's a forum for it - http://www.musicpd.org/forum/

i don't really understand much of what i've read, so far (but, i had to look up daemon, finally).

mcduck
September 25th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I'm a bit lost.

Ta
J

Yes, the client can run on other machine. There are both Windows and Mac clients available. Also if you are running a web server on the same machine where MPD is running you can use a web-based client which allows you to control MPD from a web browser running on any machine (including mobile phones, PDAs and such).

The thing is that MPD is not a streaming server. Whatever you use to control MPD, the music is played by the computer that runs MPD. But if you want there are ways to use MPD with streaming servers.

wieman01
September 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Metropolitan Police Department? Multiple personality disorder? What the heck... ;-)