PDA

View Full Version : PyTube - A small python script for the use with YouTube

marcos.linux
September 25th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Hi, I made a small python script with uses certain programs to downlod, convert,extract audio out of youtube videos. I called it PyTube, If anyone has any tips, any suggestions, and would like to help me out(im a heavy noob) and would like to help me out making a GUI then talk to me :-)

http://www.bashterritory.com/pytube

pmasiar
September 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM
1)Nice blog :-)
2) Not bad code for a beginner. I didn't try to run it, just read it a little :-)

Couple of comments:
- Licence: GPLv3 is nice, but even better is "or any later version" - make it future-proof
- consider reading PEP8 about coding standards. Also google for "python idioms" and "python best practices". Wiki in my sig **might** have some links too :-)
- Coding standards suggest 4-space tabs, and some readability hints, like space after comma in import, spaces around = and ==, better function names, download() instead of op1() etc.
- use method chaining, accomplish more in one line

change_dir=raw_input("change directory? Yes/No: ").lower()
# is in 1 line instead of 2 line as in:
changedirq=raw_input("change directory? Yes/No: ")
changedirq=changedirq.lower()

- It is matter of taste, but consider using string interpolation when building complex commands:

# string interpolation is more readable that string concatenation from expressions
os.system("mplayer -dumpaudio %s -dumpfile %s.mp3 > /dev/null 2>&1" % (finalfile, finalfile)
os.system("mplayer -dumpaudio " + finalfile + " -dumpfile " + finalfile + ".mp3 > /dev/null 2>&1")

- You may want to try EsayGUI to add a GUI
- Wiki in my sig has many more training tasks. I recommend to look ar PythonChallenge too.

LaRoza
September 25th, 2007, 05:51 PM
For the download links, you might want to archive them, so you don't get code in the browser.

marcos.linux
October 4th, 2007, 01:57 PM
I wrote a GUI :-).

http://www.bashterritory.com/pytube

Anzan
October 4th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Congratulations!

Ramses de Norre
October 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM
DRY! (don't repeat yourself)

example:

Instead of this:

if os.path.isfile("/usr/bin/youtube-dl"):
print "/usr/bin/youtube-dl present :-)"
else:
os.system("zenity --error --text=Youtube-DL\ was\ not\ found.")
sys.exit(1)
if os.path.isfile("/usr/bin/mencoder"):
print "/usr/bin/mencoder present :-)"
else:
os.system("zenity --error --text=Mencoder\ was\ not\ found.")
sys.exit(1)
if os.path.isfile("/usr/bin/mplayer"):
print "/usr/bin/mplayer present :-)"
else:
os.system("zenity --error --text=MPlayer\ was\ not\ found.")
sys.exit(1)
if os.path.isfile("/usr/bin/ffmpeg2theora"):
print "/usr/bin/ffmpeg2theora present :-)"
else:
os.system("zenity --error --text=FFMPEG2Theora\ was\ not\ found.")
sys.exit(1)
if os.path.isfile("/usr/bin/oggenc"):
print "/usr/bin/oggenc present :-)"
else:
os.system("zenity --error --text=OGGEnc\ was\ not\ found.")
sys.exit(1)

You can write this clean, adaptable, short like this:

for i in ["/usr/bin/youtube-dl","/usr/bin/mencoder","/usr/bin/mplayer","/usr/bin/ffmpeg2theora","/usr/bin/oggenc"]:
if os.path.isfile(i):
print i+" present :-)"
else:
os.system("zenity --error --text="+i+"\ was\ not\ found.")
sys.exit(1)

markp1989
October 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM
a good idea, i used PyTube - Version 0.0.3 and it worked well, i will keep looking , to see how well this project develops, congratulations

marcos.linux
October 5th, 2007, 03:16 AM
I just released version 0.0.6 it has several new things :-) and also that code clean up suggested by Ramses de Norre (thanks).

Does anyone knows how to make a deb out of this type of files? I only know how to make a .deb if a ./configure && make is avaible at the top of the source directory.

Thnx

macaholic
November 7th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Hey does anyone have either a deb,rpm just the fodlers for the latest version? The website seems to have expired. I ahve version 0.0.11.4 and it says there is a newer version. Any help would be appreciated.

LaRoza
November 7th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Hey does anyone have either a deb,rpm just the fodlers for the latest version? The website seems to have expired. I ahve version 0.0.11.4 and it says there is a newer version. Any help would be appreciated.
I can find no hints of a later version, only: http://www.getdeb.net/release/3057

macaholic
November 8th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Oh, well thanks very much for that, couldn't find a deb anywhere (not sure how I forgot to check getdeb). I was using a i586 rpm package I foudn and had to unarchive and run the script through that (I run 64-bit). Weird why it says there is a new version, guess if one were so inclined one could rummage through the script and see why...

macaholic
November 8th, 2008, 03:53 AM
So the code for the latest version is as follows:
latestversion = str(urllib.urlopen("http://www.bashterritory.com/pytube/latestrelease").read()).replace("\n","")
print "Latest version: " + latestversion
print "Current version: " + self.pytubeversion
if latestversion > self.pytubeversion:
self.wTree.get_widget("versionlabel").show()
else:
self.wTree.get_widget("versionlabel").hide()
For anyone that knows basic prgramming/scripting principles it's pretty self-explanatory, basically the reason it's claiming there is a new version is because the site is not longer there, and is returning a false version value.

wildman4god
November 8th, 2008, 09:06 PM
It would seem the dude that was behind this has fallen of the face of the planet, if this is the case, would anyone else be willing to pick up this project to one fix the bugs and two make it even better, i would do it my self but I have yet to learn how to program, too busy getting my A+, Linux+ and MCSE certifications.