PDA

View Full Version : Linux os being the majority for desktop users... what would happen?

Puppy fam
September 25th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Right now most desktop users use Windows Because of this there are lots of viruses and stuff that attack Windows computers. But what would happen if Linux became the majority for desktop users? For one thing there would probably be a main distribution for most people that was really simple.

So what do you think would change if Linux became the majority for desktop users?

Could someone answer this one question about this idea? Would there be viruses and stuff if this happened? Because like in Windows you don't need a pass word to get into the stuff viruses get into, but in Linux (for the most part) it is pass word protected. So would there be viruses and stuff? Or is this more complex then I think?

-Puppy fam

Rupertronco
September 25th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Sure, there could be malevolent programs, but with the permissions system in Linux you would have to authorize the "virus" to do its harm.

The real problem could start when people start suggesting to others "su root then rm -r /" or "hey just "sudo rm -r /" or other commands that would cripple a system.

Essentially in Linux, if you're going to mess up your install, you're going to have to give yourself permisson to do so first.

bimmerd00d
September 25th, 2007, 02:14 AM
This is why i like the fact that Linux is not the most prevalent system in use today. If it got any easier, then it would be much more popular and people would come ask me to fix their screw-ups on it as well as Windows. :lolflag:

starcraft.man
September 25th, 2007, 02:21 AM
Three words.

Global Total Annihilation.

:p

aysiu
Read these two threads:
The day after (what happens after we win?) (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=391333)
Ubuntu/Linux/Windows and Viruses/Malware (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=323028)

s3a
If you're smart enough to deny the virus access to your system, you should be ok. If you're not sure about running something, there is the Clam Antivirus (apparently....I haven't seen it, does anyone know how to start it or is it not installed by default?)!

So, if you take these precautions, you should be protected from malware! And, when Ubuntu will be popular (if that ever happens), there will be more support for hardware, etc! So, rise in popularity will be nothing but good if you're a smart user and protect yourself!

BoyOfDestiny
September 25th, 2007, 02:54 AM
Right now most desktop users use Windows Because of this there are lots of viruses and stuff that attack Windows computers. But what would happen if Linux became the majority for desktop users? For one thing there would probably be a main distribution for most people that was really simple.

So what do you think would change if Linux became the majority for desktop users?

Could someone answer this one question about this idea? Would there be viruses and stuff if this happened? Because like in Windows you don't need a pass word to get into the stuff viruses get into, but in Linux (for the most part) it is pass word protected. So would there be viruses and stuff? Or is this more complex then I think?

-Puppy fam

I wouldn't worry too much, due to the nature of Linux, security measures (some "to be" I'm sure), and much of the GPL software and drivers... There will be variety, and other OS and likely new ones will benefit. Not to mention other Open Source type OS's...

Anyway, I think this article hit the nail on the head.

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS9351245770.html

"Then, starting in the mid 1890s, Mr. Boll Weevil arrived and almost completely destroyed the cotton crop, and the South's economy along with it. With only one cash crop, this bug destroyed not only crops but hundreds of thousands of people's livelihoods."

See the parallel here with Windows? If there was one Linux distro, one IDE, one terminal interface, one DE, one major kernel with all the same patches, etc... Then I'd start worrying ;)

colllin
September 25th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I think that most businesses will have to convert to ubuntu before most individuals(employees) will use it. Which brings up another interesting scenario: the business world using ubuntu.