PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen a tornado?

ComplexNumber
September 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
this is mainly(but not only) for UK residents following on from the spate of tornadoes that we had here around 6-7 this morning. around 3am the rain was really fierce. link here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7010172.stm).

i know that places such as the american mid-west, and to a less extent, places such as bangledesh get them frequently and regularly. but the UK has the 2nd highest (reported) frequency of tornadoes in the world (after holland) per square mile, yet i've never ever seen one. the UKs high frequency may well be due to the fact that UK is densely populated.
i find them quite fascinating forces of nature. they are made all the more fascination by the fact that i still have never seen one.

so if you have seen a tornado, what are your experiences?

LaRoza
September 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Yes, although I live in the mountainous region of the US, small tornados have occured.

I saw one (small) across the valley from my high school.

bimmerd00d
September 24th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Living in north Texas, tornadoes aren't really an uncommon sight around here. A couple of months ago I found myself on a backroad with nowhere to go except through a field. If it weren't for the beautiful invention of 4 wheel drive, i'd have been sucked straight up.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM
I used to live in Texas, but the only thing I got was hurricanes. I lived in League City, by Houston.

bimmerd00d
September 24th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I used to live in Texas, but the only thing I got was hurricanes. I lived in League City, by Houston.

Ahh yes, i spent some time in Baytown during Katrina....that wasn't a pleasant time.

fuscia
September 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM
mrs. fuscia saw a water spout off the carolina coast a few years ago. i've been fortunate enough to avoid them, though i did sleep through one, about ten years ago, that was just down the street (couldn't have been much of a tornado).

jrusso2
September 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I saw a tornado at sea which is called a water spout. It was a big one though. Glad it was a couple miles away from me.

Sunflower1970
September 24th, 2007, 06:00 PM
I've been through a few of them before in my lifetime...never have seen one though since I'm usually hiding in a basement somewhere.

(although I wouldn't mind seeing one from a very far away distance of course...)

FurryNemesis
September 24th, 2007, 06:11 PM
I saw a small one crossing a field in mid-northern France once. Apparently around that area they lose an electricity pylon every two years or so.

Shazaam
September 24th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Ditto on the basement :)
I have only seen one, off the San Francisco coast a number of years ago. But a few have come close to me here in Iowa. I don't mind the severe storms that come through during daylight hours but the ones that race through from 2am to 6am bother me. Nothing like waking up to sirens blaring.

Sunflower1970
September 24th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Ditto on the basement :)
I have only seen one, off the San Francisco coast a number of years ago. But a few have come close to me here in Iowa. I don't mind the severe storms that come through during daylight hours but the ones that race through from 2am to 6am bother me. Nothing like waking up to sirens blaring.

At least the midwest have sirens. Austin, TX has nada. I was told there used to be sirens but they were removed for a phone-type system years and years ago. The phone would ring with a warning about a tornado, but that didn't pan out..and the sirens never went back up

There are no basements here. So when one comes rolling along, and if your power hasn't gone out yet, one will know when there is a tornado, but if the power goes out...well you're SOL at that point...especially in the wee hours of the morning....it seems like the safest thing to do is to get in the car and drive as fast as one can the opposite direction of the tornado....

starcraft.man
September 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Nope, never seen no tornados here, have seen an Ice Storm though. That's about it, we don't get many things up here except ice and snow in the winter.

Damanther
September 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I have seen several. Living in Oklahoma and North Texas for most of my life. Fortunately I've been far enough away from all of them that I did not feel like I was in much danger. But I have seen the effects of many of them as well. You see some really strange things. Entire city blocks leveled, except for maybe one lone house still standing and almost untouched.

tcpip4lyfe
September 24th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Here in iowa I have seen probably 4 or 5 in my life. They were small and didnt do much damage. I'll tell you though its kind of scary to look up and see a funnel cloud swirling around trying to become a full blown tornado.

monsieurdozier
September 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Here in West Tennessee we have them often.

I remember a couple years ago, the town I'm in now was ravaged by seven tornadoes in a single night. I was on my way out of town when it hit, and I remember seeing a funnel cloud and the rain swirling. Freakiest thing ever.

I had a friend who's grandad's roof was ripped off his house.

I have played in several of the seven foot dust devils. Been picked up by one before, it was real fun.

Monsieur Dozier

ahaslam
September 24th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Only seen one in England, probably a good 15 years ago. It was pretty smalll, but I was fascinated watching it dance, kicking up dust in a harvested field.

PS. after reading later posts, this was most likely a dust devil, so I've not seen one :(

Nano Geek
September 24th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Even though I live in Texas, I have never seen a tornado. Although I have been pretty close to them a couple of times.

Just this spring, we were driving to a concert, and one was coming up behind us. We couldn't see it, but on the radio they were saying "If you are anywhere near [where we were then] then you need to take shelter now!"

We stopped in a police station and waited the storm out.

That's about the closest I've ever gotten to a one of those.

stoodleysnow
September 24th, 2007, 09:31 PM
There was a Tornado in Mytholmroyd, West Yorkshire a couple of years ago, and I thought I saw the cloud beginning to organise itself into a funnel when I was on my way home to Todmorden that evening. But as it's a hilly area, the damage was limited to a pub roof and a few trees. (Mytholmroyd is in the valley bottom). Our main concern around here is flooding, and more constant high winds in winter. Once I went up Stoodley Pike (wikipedia it for more info), and was nearly blown off the hillside by very strong Gales. Hasn't put me off though, I like the occasional blast of wind, it just feels so good...:)

yabbadabbadont
September 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Like most of the rest of Tornado Alley, here in SW Missouri, we figure that Spring hasn't officially started until the first tornado warning. :D

(Spring was a couple of days early this year. :lol:)

Edit: Oh, I forgot an on-topic reply. I've seen several in my life. Usually at a safe distance. I've been up close and personal with three.

forrestcupp
September 24th, 2007, 11:04 PM
When I was young, we had a small twister about 10 feet tall come through my Grandparents' yard. It picked up the dog pail and carried it one yard over. My uncle went chasing after it to get the dog pail back. I would love to have this happen again.

About ten years ago we had a huge tornado come through our area. Not only did I see it, but I was able to chase after it from behind to see the damage.

It seems like we have tornados coming straight through our area every year.

Nano Geek
September 24th, 2007, 11:09 PM
When I was young, we had a small twister about 10 feet tall come through my Grandparents' yard. It picked up the dog pail and carried it one yard over. My uncle went chasing after it to get the dog pail back. I would love to have this happen again.That sounds like a dust devil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustdevil) to me.

ComplexNumber
September 24th, 2007, 11:11 PM
That sounds like a dust devil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustdevil) to me.
i was thinking that. there are several types of tornado classifications - dust devil, funnel cloud(a tornado that doesn't reach the ground), a tornado, and a waterspout

derekr44
September 24th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Although I don't believe I've seen what can definitely be termed a tornado, I have seen quite a few heat-induced twisters here in Arizona. They can form pretty quickly without a cloud in the sky and tower up to a few hundred feet tall. About the only thing you can see is dust all over the place at the bottom.

Now watching a dust storm roll in front of an oncoming thunderstorm is another story. It's like watching a sandstorm blow in the Sahara. Just a big wall of dust 500 feet high blowing right at you.

Good times.

angryfirelord
September 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
I live in Pennsylvania, so it's very rare for a twister to come through. Usually one occurs every 10 years.

I do remember one night were a rather nasty set of storms came through. The lightining was insane, it almost looked like strobe lights just because of how much of it was there. I also saw some water seeping through the basement door because of the heavy winds and rain. Fortunately, only a small part of the siding and a few shingles came off.

Of course, the bad part about living up north is the snow. Winter doesn't play well on my skin and 2-wheel drive. :)

southernman
September 25th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I live in Mississippi, and tornadoes unfortunately a pretty common occurrence in these parts.

Back in '02 there was a one that ripped through Rankin County, where I lived most my life. My wife and I had just become proud parents a few month earlier. So we get the sirens and TV interrupts to be on the lookout. It was a tornado warning... not just a watch. I am watching, while standing in the door (mind you it's night time), but you can hear it very faintly in the distance. As the crow flies, it's about two miles from us. We can't really see the twister, but in the brief flashes from exploding transformers, you catch small/quick glimpses of it. It was very erie to say the least, knowing your that close to total and complete disaster. Luckily for us, we weren't in the path so we stayed put.

Tornado from Nov. 2002 (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jan/events/brandon2002.html) This one was ONLY an F4!

Tornado from less than 6 months later (http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jan/events/2003apr24/brandon1.html) This one was ONLY an F3

Wicked things they are! In the south, basements are very uncommon. The thing here is having a special storm cellar constructed, a concrete or steel box buried in a hole in the ground and recovered... or having a new home built with a safe room consisting of 2 layers of plywood with a steel plate in between... or retrofitting your home with a safe room. All good options, but IMO when it's your time, it doesn't matter what your in / where your at... it's just simply your time.

Que Sara Sara

Nano Geek
September 25th, 2007, 01:32 AM
i was thinking that. there are several types of tornado classifications - dust devil, funnel cloud(a tornado that doesn't reach the ground), a tornado, and a waterspoutFunnel clouds and waterspouts are actually formed the same way as a tornado. Dust devils, however, are created by updrafts during exceptionally hot temperatures, and they usually form on sunny days, and they do not create enough wind to cause any damage.

Gremlinzzz
September 25th, 2007, 01:49 AM
The wind began to switch - the house to pitch and suddenly
the hinges started to unhitch.
Just then the Witch - to satisfy an itch went flying
on her broomstick, thumbing for a hitch.
oh wait na never seen a tornado
:guitar:

ComplexNumber
September 25th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Funnel clouds and waterspouts are actually formed the same way as a tornado. Dust devils, however, are created by updrafts during exceptionally hot temperatures, and they usually form on sunny days, and they do not create enough wind to cause any damage.
i know.

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 02:54 AM
the most entertaining weather-like thing i've been subject to was the blowing of mt. st. helens. i was in spokane, wa. at the time. we heard about it blowing at around 9:30 that morning ( you know, "LOL! mt. st. helens blew." "that's nice. how are your folks?") and by 2:30 that afternoon, it was pitch black out. the saddest was hurricane 'fran'. there were so many trees down, it was horrible.

amazingtaters
September 25th, 2007, 02:59 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Tornado_Outbreak

Take a look at the wiki there. My dad was in Oklahoma City when the big one hit, luckily he was heading out to Norman (I think, panhandle anyway). I was in Owasso, and we had a funnel cloud pass over the neighborhood. That was nuts. I mean, the sky before the storm hit was the darkest shade of olive green I've ever seen in the sky. Now I get a little nervous any time the clouds get a green tint to them. Also, OK soil does not lend itself to basements, which I was used to from living in KC (they get a fair number of tornadoes too). We also had one within sight coming toward my elementary school in Owasso. Crazy thing to see something so deadly slowly advancing on you and knowing there's nothing you can do but hunker down and hope it misses or stops short.

lisati
September 25th, 2007, 03:03 AM
About the nearest I can manage is the hot air from all the MPs in Wellington NZ (I live about 15-20 minutes drive north)

Frak
September 25th, 2007, 03:06 AM
I've seen 12 tornadoes where I live, 5 have hit my residence. Though I have 2 storm cellars and a basement, so I'm safe.

Damn you May 5, 1999

fuscia
September 25th, 2007, 03:12 AM
I've seen 12 tornadoes where I live, 5 have hit my residence. Though I have 2 storm cellars and a basement, so I'm safe.

Damn you May 5, 1999

"ooooooooook-lahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plain..."

'wind'???

Frak
September 25th, 2007, 03:16 AM
For all you Okies out there: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z6cKPtcKcqs

Gary England's got you covered.

ComplexNumber
September 25th, 2007, 04:33 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_Tornado_Outbreak

Take a look at the wiki there. My dad was in Oklahoma City when the big one hit, luckily he was heading out to Norman (I think, panhandle anyway). I was in Owasso, and we had a funnel cloud pass over the neighborhood. That was nuts. I mean, the sky before the storm hit was the darkest shade of olive green I've ever seen in the sky. Now I get a little nervous any time the clouds get a green tint to them. Also, OK soil does not lend itself to basements, which I was used to from living in KC (they get a fair number of tornadoes too). We also had one within sight coming toward my elementary school in Owasso. Crazy thing to see something so deadly slowly advancing on you and knowing there's nothing you can do but hunker down and hope it misses or stops short.
66 occurred in 3 days. very surprisingly, the UK had an outbreak where 105 tornadoes were reported on the same day stretching from humberside to the south east.

Largest Tornado Outbreak

The largest tornado outbreak in Britain is also the largest tornado outbreak known anywhere in Europe. On November 23, 1981, 105 tornadoes were spawned by a cold front in the space of 5.25 hours. Excepting Derbyshire, every county in a triangular area from Gwynedd to Humberside to Essex was hit by at least one tornado, while Norfolk was hit by at least 13. Very fortunately most tornadoes were short-lived and also weak (the strongest was around T5 on the TORRO Tornado Scale) and no deaths occurred.http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/research/whirlextreme.php

Frak
September 25th, 2007, 04:40 AM
66 occurred in that one day. very surprisingly, the UK had an outbreak where 105 tornados were reported on the same day stretching from humberside to the south east.

http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/research/whirlextreme.php
Al Gore warned us about this when he raised up his mighty hands and invented the Entarweb ;)

ComplexNumber
September 25th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Al Gore warned us about this when he raised up his mighty hands and invented the Entarweb ;)
yeah, it must global warming caused by the release of CO2 from all the crap that Al Bore speaks :p

Frak
September 25th, 2007, 04:54 AM
yeah, it must global warming caused by the release of CO2 from all the crap that Al Bore speaks :p
I seriously think Global Warming is coming from the Hot Air that Al Gore pollutes into the air everyday.

Nano Geek
September 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I've seen 12 tornadoes where I live, 5 have hit my residence. Though I have 2 storm cellars and a basement, so I'm safe.Wow, you're prepared. ;)

P.S.
Check out the Tri-State Tornado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-state_tornado).

forrestcupp
September 25th, 2007, 01:18 PM
That sounds like a dust devil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustdevil) to me.

Yeah, it was a dust devil. If I remember right, it was a sunny day. I would love to see another one.

The second experience I talked about was definitely a massive tornado. It caused a lot of damage. We get a lot of those around here.

A couple of years ago one came through my brother-in-law's neighborhood. About a mile from his house, a whole row of houses were destroyed. His didn't get touched.

About 30 years ago, a tornado came through the area my aunt lived. She lived in a trailer out in the country. The tornado tore through her area, lifted up over her trailer, then set back down and continued to destroy the countryside.