http://clan.gwos.org/images/stories//cluster1.gif

macgyver2
August 10th, 2005, 07:37 PM
My Ubuntu Data Center...dont laugh.
Why would anyone laugh? Looks good!

kvidell
August 10th, 2005, 07:40 PM
My Ubuntu Data Center...dont laugh.
What's the extremely bright thing on the right side of the image? Another monitor?
Much brighter than the other one, hehe.

Looks good though :)
- Kev

somuchfortheafter
August 10th, 2005, 07:50 PM
yea at least you have a "data center" all i have is a workstation, laptop, and a bench beside them with a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and an active network cable *yes its a repair bench.

Brunellus
August 10th, 2005, 07:52 PM
What's the extremely bright thing on the right side of the image? Another monitor?
Much brighter than the other one, hehe.

Looks good though :)
- Kev

Looks like sunlight to me. cue music:

The sun is a mass of incandescent gas,
A gigantic nuclear furnace--
Where hydrogen is built into helium
At a temperature of millions of degrees!

The sun is hot, the sun is not
A place where we could live--
But here on Earth there'd be no life
Without the life it gives!

KingBahamut
August 10th, 2005, 07:55 PM
The Bright light is an Eclipse lamp I got from Thinkgeek dot com.

Link -- http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/3903/

KingBahamut
August 10th, 2005, 07:57 PM
The Proliant 1600 is for sale by the way. Dual 300 Procs , 512 mem, 4 13.4 gig Scsi drives. You pay to ship it though the !@#$er weighs 85lbs.
=)

KingBahamut
August 10th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Heres a better shot of the other half. the very small 1u rack, just a single 1u I got from Penguin Computing, is in the closet to the right.

Most of the now defunct boxen you see on the floor were part of my Rocks Linux Cluster. When I perfect Clustering with Ubuntu Ill put em back up. Anyone had success with OpenMosix?

http://clan.gwos.org/images/stories//cluster2.gif

nocturn
August 11th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Man, and I thought I was bad... you don't have much living space left.

Off course, my wife is there to control my expansion ;-)

benplaut
August 11th, 2005, 08:22 AM
ddaaaaammmmnnn... you really make my single Thnkpad T40 look lame :roll:

KingBahamut
August 11th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Dont even mention my wife.....Geeze, im stuck down in that crevace of a room. When I told her I was getting a Rack, she was all "Your NOT PUTTING THAT IN OUR HOUSE.....". Took a long time of coaxing to get her into the idea......ah well, Ce La Vie.

Lord Illidan
August 11th, 2005, 02:17 PM
I thought I was bad, having 2 pcs...You got about 20 there, buddy!!!

nocturn
August 11th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Dont even mention my wife.....Geeze, im stuck down in that crevace of a room. When I told her I was getting a Rack, she was all "Your NOT PUTTING THAT IN OUR HOUSE.....". Took a long time of coaxing to get her into the idea......ah well, Ce La Vie.

Unfortunately, we do not have a spare room. so my machines are in the living room.
I'm now using a laptop, so that saves some space.

A rack would be cool...

KingBahamut
August 11th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Wow....this thread kinda exploded....didnt expect such a positive response.....its like Ive said something good on /. and they decided not to rip me up about it.
=)

I have this room that ajoins to my datacenter area , its a closet almost really. I put the rack in there and the measley 1u into it. My gameclan members think its cool when I host the big LAN Party of the year , really more like 4 but I do one big one.

ubuntu_demon
August 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I would really like a clustered Ubuntu system :-D

I like your geek lamp dude :)

KingBahamut
August 11th, 2005, 04:45 PM
My little slice of heaven - aka the boxes that live there.

Bahamut - My Box - Ubuntu 5.04 - Currently Running on only one Proc
Dual AMD Opteron Processors - 3400
3GB PC3200 DDR Memory
Integrated 10/100/Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Five Available PCI Slots (One 32-bit/33Mhz, Two 64-bit/100Mhz, Two 64-bit/133Mhz)
BigTech 5500 AGP 256 Overclock Nvidia

Tiamat - Webserver - Fedora core 4, upped from 2 to 3 to 4.
Duron 900 - 256 megs of ram - Quad NIC
This is my only bad vice, yes...I admit it...Ive maintained an non Ubuntu Box.

Smaug - Ftp server - Ubuntu 5.04
1.5ghz Celeron Proc - 512megs Ram - Quad NIC
2 250gig Drives

BigDuo - App server/ClusterHead - 1u in the Rack - Ubuntu 5.04
Single IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4
2GB RAM
Dual Integrated Gigabit NICs
One 100Mhz PCI-X Slot
Integrated ATI Rage XL Video

Tarrasque - BF2, UT2004, Legends, and Nexuiz server - Ubuntu 5.04
Dual Intel 300s - 512 megs of RAM - 4 14.3 SCSCI drives.
Proliant 1600. It Truely is the Beast, I can never move the damn thing without causing a hernia.

Node boxes are not in use , ClusterHead is a bare App server.
Grundle - Cluster node box - 100mzh - 32 megs RAM
Scatha - Cluster node box - 133mzh - 64 megs RAM
Glaurung - Cluster node box - 166mzh - 128 megs RAM
Ancalagon - Cluster node box - 266mhz 64 megs ram
Rhindle - Cluster node box - 100mzh - 32 megs RAM
Yorgle - Cluster node box - 266mhz 64 megs ram

Fafnir - Teamspeak2 Server - 500hmz - 128megs RAM

Hacker Box - Usually put him on the DMZ and let people have at him.
Unpatched, Vanilla install, I never update it either.
KingGhidorah - Hack up box / Attack box. 266mhz 64 megs ram - Ubuntu 4.10

The rest are spare parts and so forth

dannysauer
October 26th, 2005, 09:10 PM

At least you're still on the main floor. I had to move almost all of my stuff to the basement. Though I've only got, wait, lemme count the names 'cause I can't do it in my head (midnight, zipper, stain, cloud120, cloud233, stinky, router, lappie, pyro, onyx, busey, wheels, mccloud) 13 active machines (ignoring the two unused Macs, the unused water-cooled 6-node 486 cluster in a VCR cart (built in 1999), and a few PCs worth of parts). Strangely, I still don't think that's really a lot of machines. Stranger still - for someone whose day job is Linux cluster testing and setup - I continue to refuse to run the same distro across all nodes...

KingBahamut
October 26th, 2005, 09:13 PM
A man after my own heart. Really..... =)

mlomker
October 26th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I only have one laptop right now, but that's because I had to make room for the Cisco lab. I love Ubuntu, but Cisco pays the bills:

http://mlomker.typepad.com/michael_lomker/images/rack_1.JPG

xequence
October 26th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I thought at first the shiny thing was a computer case. Someone has to make a computer case thats shiny like that.

dannysauer
October 26th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I only have one laptop right now, but that's because I had to make room for the Cisco lab.[/IMG]

I'm not sure that IOS counts as an operating system... ;) Besides, what good's a fancy network without any computers, or at least a couple of VOIP phones? :D

mlomker
October 26th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Besides, what good's a fancy network without any computers, or at least a couple of VOIP phones?

It would help with testing certain things, I agree. I'm thinking about getting a new desktop and run VMWare GSX server on it so that I can have a variety of operating systems available to plug in.

dannysauer
October 26th, 2005, 10:46 PM
VMWare's awesome for that - add another 4-10 nodes to my network if you're counting virtual systems. :) When I set up netbooting a while back, for example, it was *way* easier to nail things down on a small network of virtual machines than it would've been to use a physical network in its place. [Nearly] Every embedded system I build gets tested in VMWare first, then just change a couple of kernel drivers and you're good to go. Usually. :D

vayu
October 26th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Here's my set-up I use a lot of windows for work purposes, but I have two instances of Breezy (that includes the one on my almost 5 yr olds computer, he loves penguin racer) and three of Hoary. I'm just starting with Linux, I'm hoping I can use Mono-develop for the ASP.NET programming I have to do.