PDA

View Full Version : Sorry guys, making the move to Gentoo today!

bimmerd00d
September 24th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Just kidding :) Testing my linux skills at installing Gentoo. Learning a lot of stuff i didn't know about file systems! Ubuntu lives on permanently for me though! I figured i'd play around with an alternative. What do you guys think, is this a decent way to learn some more skills? I know my way around Ubuntu pretty well, but i'm still not too familiar with all the backend stuff that makes everything tick.

LaRoza
September 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Learning and using new distros is a good thing. Don't apologize if you change!

bimmerd00d
September 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Learning and using new distros is a good thing. Don't apologize if you change!

Ahhh i could never leave Ubuntu at this point. It's where i started, and the support here is AWESOME. The only bad thing about Ubuntu at this point is that there is no real difficulty to installing it. It's so easy, a lot of the backend stuff gets done in the background and you learn nothing from it really. I suppose an idea would be to have an "ubuntu from scratch" install. That would be cool. The alternative disc kind of shows you a bit more, but it's still 80% masked by the installer. I suppose i'm at the point where i know how to get around Ubuntu and do most things, but I wnat to understand "why" it works the way it does.

LowSky
September 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Chicken....or should I say Penguin...lol

Anyhoo... good luck with the install. I hear Gentoo can be a great distro if you know what your doing.

bimmerd00d
September 24th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Chicken....or should I say Penguin...lol

Anyhoo... good luck with the install. I hear Gentoo can be a great distro if you know what your doing.

thanks, i don't really know what i'm doing yet, but i've found a great guide at gentoo.org that's walking me through a lot of it.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

matthew
September 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I think Gentoo has the best documentation I have seen. I've been known to read it when I have problems I can't figure out.

kanem
September 24th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I think Gentoo has the best documentation I have seen. I've been known to read it when I have problems I can't figure out.
Indeed. This was one of my first distros (and the first that kept me from going back to Windows). The documentation was so good that despite the fact that I didn't know what any of the commands I was typing meant, I still managed to get it installed. If one knows how to read and follow directions, they can install Gentoo. And their explanations of each command are great too.

tom-ubuntu
September 24th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Gentoo is a very good Distro to learn a lot about Linux. I used it for 2 years. Then i got tired of doing everything by myself und switched to the 2nd release of Ubuntu. I do not have to time to 'play around' with my system. Just want it to work. This is what I like about Ubuntu.

Have fun with Gentoo and enjoy learning!

tehet
September 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM
You'll learn that linux is linux and that APT rules all ;)

Arwen
September 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Enjoy emerge ;-) Gentoo really is heaven for experimenting..

RageOfOrder
September 24th, 2007, 05:21 PM
You'll learn that linux is linux and that APT rules all ;)

I've gotta say, Portage is by far my favorite package manager.
Us Gentoo users don't need to wait until someone compiles a binary for us, straight from source will do just fine :D

And installing Gentoo really is a great way to learn about linux. I've been using it for over a year now and love it.

bimmerd00d
September 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM
just configured my kernel :) Extra hardware support? We don't need no stinkin extra hardware support.

aaaantoine
September 24th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I am somewhat tempted by the challenge of Gentoo, but I figure I should at least give Ubuntu enough time to be comfortable with it.

notwen
September 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Give yourself to time install it should you run into any issues, but just read the documentation and it's a breeze. I've installed Gentoo successfully a whopping two times, both were relatively painless, because I had the documentation available throughout the whole process, either in-hand or on my laptop. I guarantee you'll look at Linux in a different light after your Gentoo install. Have fun w/ it and good luck. =]

rsambuca
September 24th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Give yourself to install it, but just read the documentation and it's a breeze. I've installed Gentoo successfully a whopping two times, both were relatively painless, because I had the documentation available throughout the whole process, either in-hand or on my laptop. I guarantee you'll look at Linux in a different light after your Gentoo install. Have fun w/ it and good luck. =]

I just installed gentoo on another partition from within my ubuntu installation so there was no computer downtime. The guide is by far the best I have seen. You just let everything compile away in a terminal window in Ubuntu, and in the meantime you still have a fully function computer.

I am a linux idiot, so if the guide is written well enough for me to setup gentoo via a chroot environment from Ubuntu, then pretty much any monkey with a keyboard can do the same!