PDA

View Full Version : A tested and proven way to spread Ubuntu/Linux

samb0057
September 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I recently put an ad on craigslist in my area, in the free section, saying i was giving out free copies of linux.

I got tons of responses, much more than expected.

I urge everyone who reads this to put an ad up on craigslist.org in their area, in the free section, for a free copy of linux.

All you have to invest is one blank cd and a few minutes of your time. You can have the person come pick it up, or meet them somewhere in the area.

Think about it, there are 388,000 people registered on these forums. If just 1/4 of us were to give away one linux cd, that's almost 100,000 cds.
If only half of these people convert to linux, thats 50,000 new Linux users! What if they recommended it to their friends and family? When I did this, I would give people who seemed very interested 4 or 5 cds and tell them to pass them out to their friends.

Think if each of us were to give out 2 cds, even 5 cds!

I have done this and I am glad knowing that I have probably converted a number of people to Linux, and the ones that didn't convert, I atleast introduced them to it.

potrick
September 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM
This is a good idea. But I wonder about the use of the word "conversion." It sound as though we are trying to spread a religion. I know we all take Linux pretty seriously, but it is an operating system we're spreading, not salvation. Don't mean to insult just wondering how appropriate the use of the language is and how it reflects on Linux users as a whole.

samb0057
September 24th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah i was actually thinking about that when i was writing it but either way, i am helping them out by introducing them to a better option than Windows, which is good.

FriedChips
September 24th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah i was actually thinking about that when i was writing it but either way, i am helping them out by introducing them to a better option than Windows, which is good.

amen brother!!!:guitar:

:lolflag:

nhydra
September 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM
So, what we are going to do? Shall we try to start this?
I am curious about the post expenses, but I can send 3-4 DVDs for free.

sr20ve
September 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Hmm, I think that sounds like a good idea, although, instead of me actually giving them CDs, I'll just link them to the Ubuntu site where they can order some.

Lord Illidan
September 24th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Personally my method is to see a user who has problems with Windows, and then introduce him to Linux.

p_quarles
September 24th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Personally my method is to see a user who has problems with Windows, and then introduce him to Linux.
I agree. Part of my concern about this is that anyone who's going to install something that they got from a random stranger on Craigslist is a bit . . . credulous. If I saw that ad, I'd figure the poster was looking to expand a botnet or something.

I prefer to introduce people to the OS and guide them through the process of downloading, burning, backing up and installing. I've given out a few disks after I've been asked.

Lord Illidan
September 24th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Giving out cds left right and centre reminds me of the Jehovah Witnesses passing out leaflets. Everyone takes one, but then everyone throws them in the nearest dustbin.. (No offense to them, but that's how it is in Malta, at least).

p_quarles
September 24th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Malta must be new to the JW phenomenon then. Here in the US, we generally ask them if we could still sacrifice goats after converting. :D

samb0057
September 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM
We need to give these out locally. One of the many things holding linux back is that it is not a tangible product to most people, only available through the internet, etc.

Linux has been available online and for mail order for years, this idea is good because it will expose our local communities to Linux.

People will not throw the CDs away, we are not passing them to random people on the street. We give them to people who see our ad on craigslist and want to come pick one up.

Some people may not trust a CD form a stranger but as i just said, the only people we're giving them to is people who want them, so they aren't too likely to throw them out. A professionally created ShipIt CD might help in this department.

Again i cannot emphasize enough that the uniqueness of this idea is that we give them out locally. If you don't want the person to pick them up at your house, meet them at a coffee shop or something.

I urge everyone to give out just 1 CD. All it will take is about 10 cents and a few minutes of your time. If everyone were to participate we could have quite an impact.

Note: Business owners and it technicians could even use this idea as a business promotion. Offer free copies of linux and then offer tech support to those people.