PDA

View Full Version : Need little help with a Linux presentation.

hellmet
September 24th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I've to give a 30 minute presentation on GNU Linux/Unix in 9-10 days from today at school. I'd like to make this one really powerful presentation. One that would really keep viewers glued in , and make them want linux cds at the end of it. I've a few ideas, but I'd like to know what you guys would prefer in a presentation.

It has to be li'l non geeky. Viewers are students of Compu. Science. But their knowledge about Linux is almost nill, except for a few basic commands they learnt in Under-Grad. By the end of the presentation they oughta be able to understand the value of open-source and the ill-effects of closed source too. What Linux has to offer.. etc.

ExSuSEusr
September 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Show the power of Linux by some how using this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9FgLr9oTk

That'll keep 'em glued.... well for at least 2:41 minutes!

FuturePilot
September 24th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Show the power of Linux by some how using this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9FgLr9oTk

That'll keep 'em glued.... well for at least 2:41 minutes!

Just make sure you don't knock over your microphone like that guy did:lolflag:

Yeah, just demonstrate Compiz Fusion. That will keep anyone glued to their seat. Or show them the insanely fast boot time.:guitar:

hellmet
September 24th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Thanks guys. I do intend to use ubuntu for the presentation, but I'll have to present a presentation :D . That is, I need to put up a few slides with info. Also, I don't think videos are allowed in the class though.

zanglang
September 24th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Here's how I'd do it: Ask rhetorical questions on how they're using their computer, and if their OS is doing what they really want to do. Present cold hard facts about security, how complacent recent society has become in security. Dip a little into Linux architecture, and provide neutral viewpoints on the benefits, drawbacks. Don't try to be a evangelist, people are just going to reject it. Show them how we are growing evey day, that we are still immature, but definitely gaining strength. All in all, aim not to convince outright, but simply ease them into the idea that there are alternatives out there.

Look up some of the old IBM Linux presentations on Youtube... I find some of them really inspiring. :)

hellmet
September 24th, 2007, 07:14 AM
All in all, aim not to convince outright, but simply ease them into the idea that there are alternatives out there.
Yeah.. That I'll do. I never try to push things down people's throat. :)

Good points.. thanks.