PDA

View Full Version : OS Specific Software

Black Mage
September 24th, 2007, 03:14 AM
How long on average does it take for software to become OS specific once an OS is upgraded, like for mac or windows?

I can't really use Mac because they use Linux and with each new edition, most of the software as worked for the newer versions of the OS. So lets say for windows Vista. How long does anyone think it will take for Vista only software to be avaibable?

Sef
September 24th, 2007, 03:46 AM
I can't really use Mac because they use Linux

Mac is based on BSD, not Linux.

So lets say for windows Vista. How long does anyone think it will take for Vista only software to be avaibable?

Depends on the software makers, but for now most software will be compatible with XP.

Frak
September 24th, 2007, 04:43 AM
How long on average does it take for software to become OS specific once an OS is upgraded, like for mac or windows?

I can't really use Mac because they use Linux and with each new edition, most of the software as worked for the newer versions of the OS. So lets say for windows Vista. How long does anyone think it will take for Vista only software to be available?

1. OS X is barely BSD based, most of it is re-engineered.
2. As for the question of OS specific apps coming to the latest, it should be instant, but MS were total idiots and didn't release the API until just a couple months before Vista was released, so only very large companies could develop in time.

Give it two years. Seriously.