PDA

View Full Version : Is this software available for Linux?

Bart_D
September 24th, 2007, 01:45 AM
These guys

http://www.mackichan.com/

offer in their "Products" section, a software called Scientific Word. I tried it out for Windows and liked it. I was wondering if there is a Linux version available? If not, is there an equivalent piece of software that Linux offers.

I've found that it is faster than using LaTeX (for me atleast). I would want to be able to produce TeX documents and was able to do this with a snap using Scientific Word so would really like to be able to do this with Ubuntu/Xubuntu. I am open to using something else, if it exists in Linux, as long as it doesn;t bog me down the way LaTeX did.....cause I wasted hours upon hours formatting in notepad to make it look the way I wanted it to.

matthew.lns1
September 24th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Try to run it with WINE. Sometimes that works.

ingolemo
September 24th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Have you tried LyX? Is that the kind of thing you're after, or are your needs more specific?

Bart_D
September 24th, 2007, 02:55 AM
It certainly appears that LyX would do. HOWEVER, I don;t have access to my Ubuntu box right now so can't check Synaptic but http://www.lyx.org/download/ says that it is only available for Windows/Mac?

Frak
September 24th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Go for the official mirrors, not the ports, also try

sudo aptitude install lyx
May work

Bart_D
September 29th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Ok, I'm going to give this is try soon but from the LyX website, I read that certain OTHER packages are required to install LyX. It goes through a bunch of stuff listed as "Required Software"...all free but my question is whether I require all that software in Linux------>Ubuntu Fiesty?

Frak
September 29th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Ok, I'm going to give this is try soon but from the LyX website, I read that certain OTHER packages are required to install LyX. It goes through a bunch of stuff listed as "Required Software"...all free but my question is whether I require all that software in Linux------>Ubuntu Fiesty?
Those "other" software are called Dependencies, and they are automatically installed with it if you install via apt-get or aptitude.

Compiling from source can be a pain-in-the-***, if you don't have much experience with it.

Bart_D
September 29th, 2007, 05:28 PM
So, should

be sufficient to get everything needed? I am quite new to Linux.

Frak
September 29th, 2007, 05:31 PM
So, should

Yes :)

We're all new, no matter how much time has passed. I think only the dev's actually fully understand how Linux and Ubuntu work.

lennartack
September 29th, 2007, 05:35 PM
So, should

Yes, that will do everything. Alternatively you van run the program "Synaptic" from the system menu, search for it and install it. If you want to install a program, also try to find it in synaptic first.

Bart_D
September 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty comfortable doing that. I guess I;ll try one of these 2 methods.