PDA

View Full Version : Russian School Systems Switching to LINUX

Hendrixski
September 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM
I JUST saw this on slashdot, it's the most amazing thing ever.
Russia is switching its school system over to Linux. It's not Ubuntu, but it's still really cool. I"M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/09/14/266177

kish
September 22nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
India will be next competitor for Russia in terms of linux usage at the classroom level.
:).

Duck2006
September 22nd, 2007, 10:45 PM
If i remenber there where Russians that came up with a linux called XP Linux, witch was a copy of fedora core 5, and to run it you hat to buy a pin number within 30 days of the install.

Hendrixski
September 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
India will be next competitor for Russia in terms of linux usage at the classroom level.
:).

:-) it's not a competition. Think of all those competent computer users who will be able to contribute back upstream to Linux, to make it better. EVERYBODY wins. Except of course Microsoft. :-)

Sef
September 22nd, 2007, 11:01 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

Macedonia is switching over too.

Hendrixski
September 22nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
Moved to Community Cafe.

k, sorry, didn't think where to post it, I was just so excited I clicked the first place I could to get it on here!

Macedonia is switching over too.

SWEET!!!

Omnios
September 22nd, 2007, 11:41 PM
Someone once said the Russians where smarter than us pertaining to computers etc. I disagreed. I know stand corrected.

prizrak
September 23rd, 2007, 04:42 AM
If i remenber there where Russians that came up with a linux called XP Linux, witch was a copy of fedora core 5, and to run it you hat to buy a pin number within 30 days of the install.

Never heard of that one. There is a Russian RH/FC clone that is called ASP Linux, which is a REALLY good distro. I used to use it back in college on my old school desktop. The coolest thing I did with it have a completely headless (no local GUI) server that would serve a GUI to remote clients. It was much easier to do with it than it is with Ubuntu. In fact I haven't found a way to do it yet (tho I don't really need it).

prizrak
September 23rd, 2007, 04:43 AM
Someone once said the Russians where smarter than us pertaining to computers etc. I disagreed. I know stand corrected.

Russians tend to be good programmers, it has to do with a heavily math and science oriented school system. I see alot of Russians in general IT jobs as well but I think programming takes the cake.

RussianVodka
September 23rd, 2007, 05:49 AM
Very good news. I heard about a month ago that some Russian politician was saying good things about Microsoft (like how they couldn't have gotten where they are if they didn't produce exceptionally good software). It's nice to hear that no one listened to him.

ALT Linux Team arose from IPLabs Linux Team, a Moscow firm subdivision, in 2001. The latter cooperated with Mandrake Linux and SUSE teams to improve localization (specifically Cyrillic) but at some point enough differences in its "Linux-Mandrake Russian Edition" became in fact distribution-specific and thus the decision was made to create ALT Linux project.

Damn, it's rpm based. :(

Edit:

advanced package management with APT and Synaptic

More good news! I should have read further before making conclusions.

Just wondering though, is it easy to take an .rpm based distro and turn it into an .deb one?

Edit 2:

Note: Alt Linux provides two commercial editions - Alt Linux "Junior" an Alt Linux "Master". While only Alt Linux "Junior" is available in the form of an ISO image, this can be easily upgraded to Alt Linux "Master" via the apt-rpm utility.

Never mind, jumped to conclusions again.

Although, does that package type even matter, as long as the distribution software is good?

23meg
September 23rd, 2007, 05:57 AM
In Soviet Russia, software frees YOU!!

Hendrixski
September 24th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Russians tend to be good programmers, it has to do with a heavily math and science oriented school system. I see alot of Russians in general IT jobs as well but I think programming takes the cake.

Lol, we've got two Pole's a two Russians on this thread so far. :-) amazing war hasn't broken out yet. Omnios, I like the polish flag with the smiley face icon, very nice.

prizrak, yeah, I guess you were in a kinda tech-ish major... but... I dunno, the other Russian guys I knew in college were all business majors... and all (two) of the Russian girls I dated in College were non-tech majors! Though, that could be saying more about women than about Russians, because the only girl I dated in a tech major was Asian. :-/

Dragonbite
September 24th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Considering some of the other options (Microsoft, Apple and Solaris) are USA based, it should not be too much of a stretch they would go with the more international Linux.

Is Russia still filtering content and controlling things? I mean are they as controlling as, say, China?

Forgive my ignorance, I don't get out much! ;)