PDA

View Full Version : Lightest web browser?

Sunnz
September 22nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
What is the most light-weight graphical web browser available?

I've got a home File Server which I currently simply have a big time display on its monitor letting it acting as a huge clock in my Lounge room while acting as a central storage on my LAN.

I thought it would be neat to write a web page that reports time, temperature, uptime, cpu load, etc... because I don't need to load a Desktop Environment in it that I could just start X and load a web browser...

Something that supports html, images, javascript would be nice.

chrisxp
September 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
well phpsysinfo can report temperature, uptime, cpu load, disk usage, network usage, load usage, system info etc, but the temp requires sensors and additional software.. i dont think this is possible without sensors...

anywhere, here is the link: http://phpsysinfo.sourceforge.net/

hope it helps

Sunnz
September 22nd, 2007, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the link!! :)

Though I was really looking for a web browser that would take the least resource for the server... after-all I do stream video and stuff off it!!

As for temperature... I was really supposedly write my own PHP script, which would just go grab whatever the room temperature is off the net for my town/city!! :p

smartboyathome
September 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
lightest weight web browser - you want it to have some good features still? If so, try seamonkey with browser only. Or also there is kazekage.

jrusso2
September 22nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
Dillo-
http://www.dillo.org/

Sunnz
September 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Dillo-
http://www.dillo.org/

Whoa, thumbs up!!

bruce89
September 22nd, 2007, 09:42 PM
GTK+ Webkit's reference browser (http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/libs/libwebkitgdk0d)

./usr/lib/WebKit/GdkLauncher

init1
September 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
Retawq is the smallest.
http://retawq.sourceforge.net/

kerry_s
September 22nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
i would say try links2, it can run with or without X, it has partial java script.
what i would do is just setup one of those mail home pages with all the little widgets and stuff and use that, i would probably use gmails one and add some of those games, just because i can. :) links2 can also use external app's.

bruce89
September 22nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
w3m actually thinking about it.

ssam
September 22nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
I've got a home File Server which I currently simply have a big time display on its monitor letting it acting as a huge clock

i bet thats using a thousand times more electricty than a normal clock.

init1
September 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
w3m actually thinking about it.
Retawq is smaller
132 /usr/bin/retawq
1152 /usr/bin/w3m

bruce89
September 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Retawq is smaller
132 /usr/bin/retawq
1152 /usr/bin/w3m

Depends what you need and what you mean by smaller.

init1
September 22nd, 2007, 10:37 PM
Depends what you need and what you mean by smaller.
I see what you mean by "Depends what you need". Rendering in retawq is not nearly as good as in links, or w3m. But how else could one determine which is smaller?

Bothered
September 23rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
Post deleted: Should read the post more carefully

mindtrick
September 23rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
Lightest one I've tried is K-meleon (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/). It's based on Gecko but last time I checked it was much lighter and faster than Firefox. Don't know why it's Windows only though. It's licensed with GNU GPL

init1
September 23rd, 2007, 01:04 AM
What is the most light-weight graphical web browser available?

I've got a home File Server which I currently simply have a big time display on its monitor letting it acting as a huge clock in my Lounge room while acting as a central storage on my LAN.

I thought it would be neat to write a web page that reports time, temperature, uptime, cpu load, etc... because I don't need to load a Desktop Environment in it that I could just start X and load a web browser...

Something that supports html, images, javascript would be nice.
Oh, OK. Dillo then. There's another one kinda like dillo, but I forget the name. I guess I didn't read carefully enough. Retawq is non graphical.

kerry_s
September 23rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
dillo don't support java at all.

rsambuca
September 23rd, 2007, 01:24 AM
Kazehakase is pretty light but still functional. It is in the repos.

init1
September 23rd, 2007, 02:03 AM
dillo don't support java at all.
You mean Javascript, right? Ok, I don't know then. eLinks supports JS but it's non graphical.

reacocard
September 23rd, 2007, 03:12 AM
links2 -g

technically not graphical, but with the -g option it does images and uses it's own window under X, and it can also use the framebuffer for the same thing in the console.

best non-graphical: wget :lolflag:

init1
September 23rd, 2007, 05:10 AM
links2 -g

technically not graphical, but with the -g option it does images and uses it's own window under X, and it can also use the framebuffer for the same thing in the console.

best non-graphical: wget :lolflag:
But links2 -g doesn't have JS.
wget? LOL, I've used that before. It's hard, but sometimes it's all you have :D

teet
September 23rd, 2007, 05:43 AM

Kind of what I was thinking.

But if he could have it display the weather, sports scores, latest headlines, etc it might be worth it.

-teet

Rhapsody
September 23rd, 2007, 07:30 AM
Kazehakaze gets my vote as well. Dillo is lighter, but it doesn't have support for JavaScript, which was listed as being required,

reacocard
September 23rd, 2007, 08:04 AM
But links2 -g doesn't have JS.
wget? LOL, I've used that before. It's hard, but sometimes it's all you have :D

ah, missed the bit about JS. Kazehakaze then, definitely. Just don't use the version from the feisty repos, it has a bug with form submission. Use gutsy's or build from source.

links2 -g is still danged impressive though

EDIT: hm, links2 has an -enable-javascript option :D

Sunnz
September 23rd, 2007, 09:17 AM

Kind of what I was thinking.

But if he could have it display the weather, sports scores, latest headlines, etc it might be worth it.

-teet

Ah no it is a file server, having it to display time and other stuff as well as serving files, is going to cost less to go buy a separate clock and stuff.

ssam
September 23rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
Ah no it is a file server, having it to display time and other stuff as well as serving files, is going to cost less to go buy a separate clock and stuff.

it does not need the monitor on to serve files.

Sunnz
September 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
Built-in monitor...