PDA

View Full Version : Ventrilo client for Linux petition!

abadtooth
September 22nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Please sign this if your interested in a Linux ventrilo client!
http://www.petitiononline.com/vent4Lin/petition.html

Please forward this petition to anyone you know who would also be interested!

Polygon
September 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
or you could not use vent and support linux voip programs, like Mumble or Teamspeak

edit: as ive heard the guy who made vent has stated he will never make a linux port of vent.

Swarms
September 22nd, 2007, 07:21 PM
Signed.

Polygon, too bad gaming groups like WoW guilds primary use this platform, and you can't demand a whole guild to change for one linux gamer's sake.

abadtooth
September 22nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
I'm sorry but please explain the "In development" status on there download plage http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php
Many corporations use ventrilo because it is simply more practical than the gaming targeted teamspeak client.

starcraft.man
September 22nd, 2007, 07:41 PM
I'm with polygon. Teamspeak is the only one I used and liked.

And Swarms, you can't get everything in life and voice chat isn't the end of the world. If it is, ya should be sure the guild supports your client and or just accept not having it.

Edit: Oh and polygon, Chuck Norris week is over. Don't make him come here and round house kick your avatar.

Polygon
September 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
@ starcraft.man: my bad.

and i dont see whats in ventrilo that teamspeak doesnt have. I mean... what more do you want then the ability to register users, have channels and talk over the internet? =P

misfitpierce
September 22nd, 2007, 07:51 PM
Signed and I agree that they should make ventrilo for linux

abadtooth
September 22nd, 2007, 07:58 PM

and i dont see whats in ventrilo that teamspeak doesnt have. I mean... what more do you want then the ability to register users, have channels and talk over the internet? =P

If everyone used TS then I wouldn't be posting this!
Many people prefer ventrilo over TS, so you might say it's personal preference.

Ebuntor
September 22nd, 2007, 08:29 PM
I signed it. Would be nice to have Linux version of Ventrilo. :) I never tried it but it is possible to run it in Wine?

abadtooth
September 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
I signed it. Would be nice to have Linux version of Ventrilo. :) I never tried it but it is possible to run it in Wine?

Yeah, but it's extremely buggy and doesn't work well at all.:(

Swarms
September 22nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
If everyone used TS then I wouldn't be posting this!
Many people prefer ventrilo over TS, so you might say it's personal preference.

You nailed it.

abadtooth
September 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
*Bump*

andraxion
September 28th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I prefer ventrilo because the sound is clearer and your ears don't bleed as bad when muntiple people talk at once. Easier on resources too imo.

Polygon
September 28th, 2007, 04:11 AM
the sound quality in ts and i think ventrilio is set by the sound codec which is chosen by the server admin or the guy who created the channel. Worse codecs = faster / less resource intensive... but sound bad, and for the good ones its the exact opposite.

GSF1200S
September 28th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Yeah, but it's extremely buggy and doesn't work well at all.:(

If you have a crap load of RAM and a spare copy of Windows lying around, you could install Windows on a VM and run Vent within it... You could still run WoW under WINE. Hell, you could down the ram usage of Windows to like 160 or somethin.. Thats what Id do if I played WoW again.

I have a life though :) , although I didnt at one point because of that damn game!

American_Outcast
September 28th, 2007, 06:04 AM
I have a life though , although I didnt at one point because of that damn game!

Hey, be nice. I have a life. I am a shadow priest.............. Oh wait :(

GSF1200S
September 28th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Hey, be nice. I have a life. I am a shadow priest.............. Oh wait :(

All feral druid baby... one sec you think your full on life, and 5 seconds later your dead from a sequence of kitty crits.. Ahhhhh, must.. stop........ thinking of ...... warcraft!!!!!!

Seriously though, the game is cool and all, but Ive seen it literally destroy relationships, friendships, and what little remains of many peoples social life. Its sad.. just dont let it get you there...

American_Outcast
September 28th, 2007, 07:07 AM
I do agree. It is a great game and a fun distraction from the insanity of this world but one should not let it take over their life. Part of their life? Ok, Yes. But not all of their life, lol. ;)

If we could only fight wars with games like this instead of real world warfare.....

abadtooth
October 1st, 2007, 10:19 PM
I do agree. It is a great game and a fun distraction from the insanity of this world but one should not let it take over their life. Part of their life? Ok, Yes. But not all of their life, lol. ;)

If we could only fight wars with games like this instead of real world warfare.....

Very true, just remember not everyone uses it for gaming :popcorn:
why do you think they offer 1000 slot servers for ventrilo...

American_Outcast
October 1st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Very true, just remember not everyone uses it for gaming :popcorn:
why do you think they offer 1000 slot servers for ventrilo...

Ventrillo or teamspeak for something other then gaming??????:confused::confused::confused: I am sorry, I don't understand........

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

abadtooth
October 1st, 2007, 11:42 PM
Ventrillo or teamspeak for something other then gaming??????:confused::confused::confused: I am sorry, I don't understand........

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

Like chatting with friend & family in a big "Room"
Large businesses use it for both support and conferences.
There are many many more uses for ventrilo than just gaming.

You can even see some of the applications on there site :P
http://www.ventrilo.com/applications.php

American_Outcast
October 1st, 2007, 11:44 PM
Like chatting with friend & family in a big "Room"
Large businesses use it for both support and conferences.
There are many many more uses for ventrilo than just gaming.

You can even see some of the applications on there site :P
http://www.ventrilo.com/applications.php

You say this but I don't understand what could be more important then gaming... There is more to life then WoW? ;) lol

phrostbyte
October 1st, 2007, 11:46 PM
I don't see the need for the petition, on the Ventrillo website is says they are currently developing a Linux client. Unless you think this will make it go faster.

andraxion
October 2nd, 2007, 06:35 AM
That notice for the linux client has been there for like 2 years and no further news on it.

abadtooth
October 4th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I don't see the need for the petition, on the Ventrillo website is says they are currently developing a Linux client. Unless you think this will make it go faster.

That notice for the linux client has been there for like 2 years and no further news on it.

Exactly andraxion.

If it we knew for a fact that it actually is under development, than there would be NO need for a petition, but since it's been there for sooo long.....

And for the record I don't play this WOW...

abadtooth
October 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM
*Bump*

theCoder
October 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Signed....

American_Outcast
October 20th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I only need Ventrillo for WoW. But since I can never get it working right with Linux I don't really care about that program anymore. Even if they did get it working with Linux I probably wouldn't even use it now. To many bad experiences and headaches with it in the past that has turned me completely off to that program.

Teamspeak is great and can be used with Linux, Mac and Windows (the way software should be.) Teamspeak is all I need. :guitar:

StitchJAcket
October 26th, 2007, 02:06 AM
I'm with polygon. Teamspeak is the only one I used and liked.

And Swarms, you can't get everything in life and voice chat isn't the end of the world. If it is, ya should be sure the guild supports your client and or just accept not having it.

Edit: Oh and polygon, Chuck Norris week is over. Don't make him come here and round house kick your avatar.

No see if you haven't used ventrilo and have only used teamspeak then of course you wont understand why people want vent. I personally have used vent, skype, and teamspeak. Skype is good but lacks the amount of user support that vent and teamspeak have. However teamspeak quality is nowhere near the quelity of vent or skype and requires many different codecs if you change channels often. Vent is great quality requires only the codecs it provides and can support multiple users. So yeah there is a "need" for ventrilo to be on linux. And i am about to sign the petition

Dlaw2006
November 12th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Hello, I am new to Linux, have been using Windows since 3.1, and am currently running a dual boot with Windows XP Performance (SP2) and PCLinuxOS on my Acer Aspire 3690 notebook with 1GB of ram, 60GB HDD, and an Intel video chipset. Under Windows, i run a game called Call of Duty (the original and expansion; United Offensive, not the newest releases for PC, 2 and 4: Modern Warfare).

Now, for the reason why i am posting this here, instead of the new members section. I am, as I said, new to Linux, and am completely baffled by how much you can do with it on such limited hardware (my notebook is actually pretty new, but the video card only has 32MB of vram). The only thing holding me back from completely removing Windows from my machine is that, of course, I cannot run Call of Duty, nor the voice chat software that my clan uses (Ventrilo). If any of you have ever been in a ranked clan for a first person shooter, as I am, you know that the more active you are, the higher the rank you will receive. I am a Captain (Cpt) in the all-PC-CoD-clan called Epic Variation ('eV). Our ranks are based on the ranks used by the US Marines, which means I am next in rank to a First Lieutenant (1Lt). Obviously, i am active in my clan, and as such need vent for my day-to-day work.

I know this is an Ubuntu forum, but all Linux is based on the same kernel, right? Anyway, i have used these forums many times to answer many questions, and i would really like to see a Ventrilo client for Linux.

[CPR]-AL.exe
November 19th, 2007, 12:53 AM
There's also another petition on official ventrillo support forums. Please, support us by signing it:

http://ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23937

happysmileman
November 19th, 2007, 01:24 AM
-AL.exe;3796601']There's also another petition on official ventrillo support forums. Please, support us by signing it:

From the official Ventrilo site

Client programs

Windows i386 - 32bit (Version 3.0.0)

Mac OSX 10.3 or higher - 32 bit (Version 3.0.0)

Linux - In development

So it's already being done, no need to continue to sign petitions IMO

Ands the server program is already released for Linux, BSD and Solaris

BrettA
November 27th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I eagerly await the native Linux Vent

Until then back to Teamspeak :/

Fred_E _krugar
November 27th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I am using Wine and the new Ventrilo with no problems at all.

abadtooth
December 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM

It has said "In development" for years!
I doubt there working on it...

abadtooth
December 6th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Guess what, after a while of searching I have found a host that was willing to add Mumble to there list of services!
You can now purchase Mumble servers!!!
http://www.xtremecybergames.com/

matthewcraig
December 6th, 2007, 10:23 AM
@abadtooth: That's awesome. I started a petition to get guilds to use Mumble, instead of petitioning Ventrilo. ;)

abadtooth
December 7th, 2007, 03:17 AM
@abadtooth: That's awesome. I started a petition to get guilds to use Mumble, instead of petitioning Ventrilo. ;)

I put a short piece about Mumble on my website and digg, if you guys woud be good enough, go digg it up :D
http://digg.com/pc_games/Mumble_a_new_voip_gaming_client

madsmeg
December 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM
will this link (http://www.ventrilo.com/dlprod.php?id=301) help? its a vent script?

abadtooth
December 13th, 2007, 05:22 AM
I don't believe that has anything to do with the client...

Torgas Prim
December 14th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I want Vent for Linux myself.
I use both in my gaming because there are so many guilds out there and each one has different preferences for VOIP when we do PvP and such.

Just because there is no native client yet does not mean we need to bash it.

Also, the link above to the official Vent forums for the Linux petition...it is deleted. So maybe that is our answer. Flagship does not want to make a Linux client.

Can anyone out there code a os client that can connect to Vent servers? That is probably the only way to get it native ;-)

bmbernie
December 29th, 2007, 06:05 AM
I dont play WoW but I would like to see ventrilo native to Linux. All of my friends use ventrilo to communicate online after work and what not and as it is I have to use a different computer.

If they just made it an open source project I think that many people would want to join it and contribute. I wouldn't mind working on it. Maybe they could just release the specs on the protocol they use...

cmat
December 29th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Eventually some bright open source developer will create a VOIP client that is compatible with vent. I rather see someone work on that then get a port.

bmbernie
December 29th, 2007, 06:09 AM

That link doesn't work for me.

I went to the official forums and there is a post from 2.5 years ago stating that when the Linux client is released he would open the forum... It does not look very promising for us.

asnd16
January 16th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Thank you!! I signed

soritong
June 5th, 2008, 03:06 AM
And still waiting.... :(

Although I do all my gaming on my Windows partition and talk on Vent through there, I'd love to be in contact with my friends while coding on Linux.

Icoer
June 22nd, 2008, 10:04 PM

The ability to set volume level per user logged in is a huge feature for many.

mrgnash
June 23rd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Get to the choppah! Get to the choppah! Get to the choppah!

Zorchenhimer
July 29th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but whatever.

The server is completely different from the client. The only reason they have a Linux server build is because the majority of the servers hosting games and voip servers are running Linux. Basically, if they want their software to be used, they need a Linux server. Unfortunately, the same is not true for the client.

And I highly doubt they guys over at Ventrilo.com are actively working on a Linux client. Its been "in development" for years.

Djinn Effer
December 13th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Per user settings...

You can make yourself, or other people louder or quieter individually. Where as with TS it's all global, that's why I refuse to use TS. Either everyone's blasting me out, I can't hear them, or it's likewise for myself.

Anonymous111
December 13th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Heres how to get vent working if you dual-boot ubuntu and windows (btw you need wine too):

-Install ventrilo on windows if you havnt already

-Boot into Ubuntu

-Go to Places-> computer-> [your windows partition]-> program files-> ventrilo -> ventrilo.exe

-Open it with Wine

this worked fine for me... it also works with other windows apps such as xfire

xx.canes.rites
January 28th, 2009, 07:45 PM
My advice is to stop using programs that don't support Mac/Windows/Linux. If they just support Windows or Just Windows and Mac, just don't use them. Why spend money on supporting people that do no have our best interest in mind? We are constantly spending money on entities that do not support us at all, i.e our Governments and crappy programs.

Put that money into somewhere that it will best be used. Go use TeamSpeak or something that supports what you are representing. If they have a drop in profits they will come around. If you keep supporting them though, they will never do what you want them to because there is no need.

kavon89
January 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Linux - In development

On Ventrilo's download page.

Honestly, I'm just waiting for Teamspeak3 to be released.

Also: Don't bump old threads :P

hoopz23
January 29th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Ah ventrillo. I remember when I used to use that a lot. Thank goodness that part of my life is over :lolflag:

ErsinG
February 11th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Well after all this time, i don't think they are really "developping" something for linux...

P.S: Running it on Wine is still so buggy and painful. I don't suggest you to try it..

daariil
March 3rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
I diont understand why they dont release the source code. If they would then they would probably get a free Linux version very fast. It cant be THAT much code in a app like vent. I dont know anyhing about programming but i cant imagine it being THAT much code so that now, like 4 years after they first said "Linux client: Under developement" still arent finished. Thats just a load of bull!

Ben Crisford
May 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Eventually some bright open source developer will create a VOIP client that is compatible with vent. I rather see someone work on that then get a port.

I believe his name is Michael Sierks :D.

There is a project in development.

See: www.spuxproject.net
Or: #spux on irc.freenode.net

dark magshin
August 11th, 2009, 01:10 PM
spux looks like it's going to be pretty awesome. in the meantime, the wine appDB reports that the client is running well under wine with a few workarounds. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9832