PDA

View Full Version : Unnofficial Ubuntu Starter Guide

shoelessmike
November 20th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Dear Friends,
I've been running Linux for about a year and Ubuntu about a month. I'm in love: as soon as my PocketPC is lost/destroyed/stolen and I can afford an ATI 3D card, I'm deleting my Windows partition and living happily ever after in a single-boot Ubuntu system. Until then, I wanted to give something back to the community.
One thing I believe would be useful to the Ubuntu and Linux community as a whole is an unnofficial, step-by-step, picture-laden manual for getting up and running, tips and tricks, etc. Unnofficial because then it could include a) How to play DVD's b) how to play mp3's c) a bunch of fun, step-by-step hacks.
I've looked and haven't seen anything like this that is also a) easy to read, b) comprehensive or c) fun to use. I'm a terrible programmer (I know JAVA, C++, and a bit of python but my programs always seem to cause more problems then they're worth), but an award-winning writer and trained ediitor. Is there something like this that exists, Ubuntu for Dummies? Is this something that there is interest in? Let me know your thoughts, or e-mail me mpm36 -- AT -- cornell --- dot ---- edu

TravisNewman
November 20th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Subscribe to the ubuntu-doc email list:
http://lists.ubuntulinux.org/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-doc
They can get you going and tell you exactly what's available and what isn't, and maybe figure out a way to implement your ideas into their work, or vice versa.

jiyuu0
November 20th, 2004, 05:44 PM
http://kitech.com.my/ubuntu/4.10/index.html

TravisNewman
November 20th, 2004, 07:15 PM
You dated it December 20th. It's still Nov.

zenwhen
November 20th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Hes from the future.

I think I'm going to do one of these aimed towards the intermediate user, specifically those switching from Slackware.

jiyuu0
November 20th, 2004, 08:29 PM
You dated it December 20th. It's still Nov.

](*,) don't know why... but i've made the same mistake many times... can't wait for new year i guess

corrected the date... and links are up

dataw0lf
November 20th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Or maybe he just saw the director's cut of Donnie Darko! Donnie Darko owns you.
dataw0lf

TravisNewman
November 21st, 2004, 05:10 AM
I need to see that movie. I've heard good things about it.

Anyway, have you tried asking the doc team for resources, ideas for publishing, etc? I like where you're going with it.

jiyuu0
November 21st, 2004, 07:33 PM
Or maybe he just saw the director's cut of Donnie Darko! Donnie Darko owns you.
dataw0lf

Never heard of Donnie Darko b4

adbak
November 21st, 2004, 08:35 PM
It's such a good movie.

Have you heard Gary Jule's rendition of "Mad World" (originally by Tears for Fears)? This movie made that song a hit.

Also, if you do watch it, which you should, try and look for deeper meanings. You can appreciate this movie just by itself, but to look deeper is worth it.

jiyuu0
November 22nd, 2004, 03:04 AM
I think it didn't reach my country... maybe have to source around elsewhere

Bentwolf
November 24th, 2005, 01:52 AM
K, I'm almost a total Ubuntu newb, {almost meaning i can turn the computer on}. I basically got Linux because I was sick of the crap I was getting from windows xp. I got Ubuntu because a friend of mine said he highly recommended it. So anyway here it goes.

I don't know how to use the terminal or command line to get programs to work. I don't know how to cd to another directory or folder. I downloaded Cedega so I could play SWG on Ubuntu but I'm not sure if its installed or not.

BTW, how do I install programs? How can I get it so that as soon as I download a program, I could just double click the icon and have it do its thing? A friend of mine told me about the program but I forgot to ask about where to get it or what's it called. I also need to know how to find out if I installed the right drivers for my video card on my computer. {I like copy/paste}

Other than that, I guess I'm doing alright.

Thanks,
Bent