PDA

View Full Version : What makes Ubuntu Ubuntu?

drndrw
September 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Hey guys. I'm not too familiar with what makes an operating system, but I thought it was pretty much just the Kernel and the Desktop Environment. If this is true, what makes Ubuntu so special? Is it just taking these two pieces of programming and putting a name on it? Or is it something more than that? Thanks.

ThinkBuntu
September 22nd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Popularity.

n3tfury
September 22nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
popular because it's easier to use than other distros for noobs and has a fantastic community built around it.

karellen
September 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
the community (because of the popularity)

Johnsie
September 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
It works on alot of computers and is easy to install

mostwanted
September 22nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Ubuntu is not the best at anything in particular, but it still does a really good job in all areas. That was the "missing" feature in Linux before Ubuntu appeared. It's not entirely accurate to call that feature polish - polish is too superficial - but it's probably the closest thing.

ThinkBuntu
September 22nd, 2007, 05:41 PM
As far as user-friendliness, hardware support, etc. Ubuntu really is about on par with OpenSUSE and Mandriva, and just ahead of Fedora, in my opinion. If I had to say what the most user-friendly distribution is, I'd say Ubuntu because of the active forums and community. But take that away, and I'd definitely recommend Mandriva.

Takmadeus
September 22nd, 2007, 05:43 PM
As an user who tried many distros without luck in the past I can say that Ubuntu is Ubuntu for:

Easy config: it just works, no complicated stuff

Clean layout: it is pretty obvious where goes what

Great comunity: enough said

Shipit

Just one CD: it make it good because even though you just have the core apps, you do not have to download tons of data in order to have the entire OS

and many more things, like the repos and frequent updates

SunnyRabbiera
September 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
popular because it's easier to use than other distros for noobs and has a fantastic community built around it.

well i said it before and I will say it again, to be honest I would not recommend Ubuntu right away to the new user.
The thing is that it might be confusing to the newcomer who is unfamiliar with the way linux runs.
This is why I personally recommend Mepis, PCLinux and even linux mint first then go to ubuntu.
Mind you I like Ubuntu but I honestly do think there are better beginner distros out there, Ubuntu is a linux I would recommend to slightly more experienced users.

bruce89
September 22nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Brown things and lots of non-free things (I class Firefox in with that).

Nano Geek
September 22nd, 2007, 08:32 PM
well i said it before and I will say it again, to be honest I would not recommend Ubuntu right away to the new user.
The thing is that it might be confusing to the newcomer who is unfamiliar with the way linux runs.
This is why I personally recommend Mepis, PCLinux and even linux mint first then go to ubuntu.
Mind you I like Ubuntu but I honestly do think there are better beginner distros out there, Ubuntu is a linux I would recommend to slightly more experienced users.How does Ubuntu run any different than any other distro?

SunnyRabbiera
September 22nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
well the thing is that Ubuntu isnt as media ready as the others I have mentioned, as Mepis, PCLinux and Mint all have media readiness in mind but Ubuntu honestly doesnt.
But honestly they all share similarities such as synaptic and apt so they all can be quite easy in the long run.
But people might be a little confused about tools that make ubuntu media ready such as automatix, Easy Ubuntu and of course ubuntu's native way of installing things such as proprietary codecs, plugins and apps.
But really I am not dissing Ubuntu, just saying it might not be as beginner friendly in some areas.

Kingsley
September 22nd, 2007, 09:54 PM
well the thing is that Ubuntu isnt as media ready as the others I have mentioned, as Mepis, PCLinux and Mint all have media readiness in mind but Ubuntu honestly doesnt.
But honestly they all share similarities such as synaptic and apt so they all can be quite easy in the long run.
But people might be a little confused about tools that make ubuntu media ready such as automatix, Easy Ubuntu and of course ubuntu's native way of installing things such as proprietary codecs, plugins and apps.
But really I am not dissing Ubuntu, just saying it might not be as beginner friendly in some areas.
Proprietary codecs not being installed by default doesn't mean Ubuntu isn't ready for media. Codecs are easily installed through other repositories. Ubuntu just doesn't include them for philosophical reasons.

perce
September 22nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
I really do not understand all the fuzz about media support. Is installing
ubuntu-restricted-extras so difficult? Does Windows plays all formats out of the box? no it doesn't: you have to install winDVD, realplayer, mabe even VLC for some formats.

bruce89
September 22nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
I really do not understand all the fuzz about media support. Is installing
ubuntu-restricted-extras so difficult? Does Windows plays all formats out of the box? no it doesn't: you have to install winDVD, realplayer, mabe even VLC for some formats.

Indeed, it doesn't even play my format of choice, Vorbis.

az
September 23rd, 2007, 01:15 AM
Is it just taking these two pieces of programming and putting a name on it? Or is it something more than that? Thanks.

Forgetting that there are many more pieces than just that, it all comes down to the fact that you get choice - a lot of choice - when you use free-libre open source software.

Let me use a simple example. Lets say tha you are in charge of IT for a company and it's your job to chose between all the different options for a particular program the company needs to run.

You are to chose between two different open source programs that do the same thing. To be honest, it's a crapshoot. You cannot look into a crystal ball and tell which program will be better supported, have more features and best serve your needs in the next few years.

The best you can do is look at where the software comes from. Who is writing or supporting it and why. In Ubuntu's case, the software is squarely aimed to increase the uptake of free-libre open source software on the desktop. It has a healthy community comprised of members who have varying reasons for being involved with the project (very few are paid directly, some are paid indirectly, some do it for fun, some do it to learn, some do it because it's good for their business, etc...)

If there was a small community which only had one narrow goal, that would probably mean that if your needs did not fall within the confines of that goal, it would not be a good choice for you in the long term.

So, to answer your question, the software itself comes mostly from upstream (the individual projects (ex, Openoffice, GTK+, all the way down to the command-line tools packages) but the distro as a whole is put together and maintained by a great community.

Hope that helps.

jimrz
September 23rd, 2007, 03:06 AM
hell, there are lots of good distros out there each a bit different in it's own way. For me it is ALL about community, specifically these forums and the folks who populate them. It really is "linux for humans", as described by the ubuntu motto and philosophy.

SunnyRabbiera
September 23rd, 2007, 04:11 AM
Proprietary codecs not being installed by default doesn't mean Ubuntu isn't ready for media. Codecs are easily installed through other repositories. Ubuntu just doesn't include them for philosophical reasons.

yes, but for the common user they wont care about philosophical reasons.
For these folks I recommend other distros to at least train them in the linux way of things.
Like I said I think that the tools for ubuntu like automatix, easyubuntu and others might deter new users instead of help.
like i said though its not like i am dissing ubuntu, it just might not be the best place to start for the newcommer.

drndrw
September 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
I see. But I am talking about the operating system itself. It's pretty much just the kernel and a DE with a new name on it, right? I know about the support, and it's great.

potrick
September 23rd, 2007, 04:39 PM
Break it down.

If you were to build linux from scratch with a gnome desktop, you would not have Ubuntu. Heck, if you took Debian and installed gnome that wouldn't be Ubuntu either.

Maybe that's the best answer we can give you: install vanilla Debian with gnome. The difference between that and a Ubuntu desktop is what makes Ubuntu Ubuntu.

Taino
September 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
(What makes Ubuntu Ubuntu?)

-Freedom-
-Fellowship-
-Nifty Software-
-Great Support-
-Regular Releases-

A Kernel and DE alone dont equal Ubuntu.. :KS

drndrw
September 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
I see. Well on top of those two things, Ubuntu includes alot of software upon installation, correct?

Skorzen
September 23rd, 2007, 06:39 PM
Well, I think that what makes Ubuntu, Ubuntu is the popularity, the great community, Synaptic, easy-to-use interface and because it's visually simple and clean.

It's just my favorite distro (from the ones I tried).

Naralas
September 23rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
You can ask what makes Ubuntu Ubuntu, but them someone will just go:

Nothing

then you go ... "oh, then how do I get a good mix of Linux"?

They will go:

Ubuntu

So Ubuntu is a good mix of Linux packages, wrapped around a good installer, nice logo, ugly theme (sorry had to say it)

Trying others is nice, you will feel a little more caged to the default install if your a n00b. Getting new stuff is much easier on ubuntu, skype provides an installer, or u can use add/remove etc...

dont even begin to say apt-get can compare to add/remove for new people..
Anyway, get behind the winner, we are on top cuz we are the best :)

az
September 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I see. Well on top of those two things, Ubuntu includes alot of software upon installation, correct?

No, it actually only officially supports a small subset of all the packages that are available in Debian.

When you install software, you are not only interested in what the software does, but what it will be able to to in later versions. A distro is much more about looking after what software will continue to be available and improve rather than being about the software that ships with the distro itself.

Think of the software as the fruit and the community that supports the distro as the farmers. Fruit is fruit, regardless of where it comes from. The distro, I guess, would be the grocery store. You want to make sure you pick a grocery store that is nice to its farmers, or they will run out of fruit.

Erunno
September 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
A good marketing team and the community which evolved out of it which reminds me of Apple sometimes.

julian67
September 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I think that "What makes Ubuntu Ubuntu?" is a brilliant question. There are so many aspects to the answers you get. I'd say look at the motivation and the philosophy behind Ubuntu:

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/philosophy

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory

and also look at http://www.fsf.org/

Although Ubuntu isn't the distro that adheres most strictly to the FSF ethos it is probably the one that carries the idea of freedom in computer use to the most people and liberates them from proprietary and (worse) unlicensed "pirated" proprietary software and all their associated problems (social as well as technical). The Ubuntu community is a fantastic example of what people can do and how people can be when they are free to share and co-operate.

What makes Ubuntu Ubuntu? For me it's ethics and freedom and technical excellence.

cknight
September 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I had a similiar question trying to understand what Ubuntu really is and how different distributions differ from each other. Basically it comes down to the artwork, choice of software, configuration of said programs/desktop environment/etc, support, installation procedure, community and probably lots of other things too. At its crudest definition, as a distribution it really is just a package of other 'things' like the kernel, desktop environment, etc. Anyway, check out this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=553354

angryfirelord
September 24th, 2007, 11:37 PM
What makes Ubuntu Ubuntu?

Debian. :)

RAV TUX
September 25th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Hey guys. I'm not too familiar with what makes an operating system, but I thought it was pretty much just the Kernel and the Desktop Environment. If this is true, what makes Ubuntu so special? Is it just taking these two pieces of programming and putting a name on it? Or is it something more than that? Thanks.

Q: What makes Ubuntu Ubuntu?
A: ubuntuforums.org the rest is commentary.

z0mbie
March 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Freedom/GNU
Bleeding Edge
Community
apt-get

justin whitaker
March 19th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Freedom/GNU
Bleeding Edge
Community
apt-get

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

simon_is_learning
March 20th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Well, the above posts are correct but I belive that something important hasn't been mentioned.

The fact that Ubuntu is an african word, and an african philosophy. You really can't understand ubuntulinux without the knowledge of the ubuntu philosophy,

The Ubuntu-philosophy has its roots in southafrica, and sourrounding countries. In tribal societies the group is very important. To be able to survive the tribes has to be able to cooparate. What is special with soutafrican philosophy (Ubuntu) is their special view on the individual and the role of an individual in a group.

Ubuntu can be translated into "I am what I am in the eyes of other people". An individual is nothing by themself (In contrast with western individualism where the highest good is independece of others). An Individual becomes an indvidual IN a group and his or hers identity is defined by the relations to others.

So there are two important things that Ubuntu is all about

1. The individual
2. The group (community)

What Mark Shuttlewurth (the southafrican founder of Ubuntu) did when i started ubuntu was taking the concept of "free software", in the form of the debian project and made a fork with another philosophy (Ubuntu). Thereby combining the best of two worlds: free software and community

The individual side of Ubuntu can be illustrated by visiting
http://planet.ubuntu.com

The community side are you already aware of becouse it is
http://ubuntuforums.org

The mantra of Ubuntu is Linux for human beeings, the Ubuntu community is simply individuals helping individuals (relationships) and the sum of all individual efforts is the ubuntu-community-linux-distribution whith tha goal to give non proffesional users a full desktop computer system.

/Simon

original_jamingrit
March 20th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Freedom/GNU
Bleeding Edge
Community
apt-get

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Necro'ed by a z0mbie...