PDA

View Full Version : atx 1 on atx 2 motherboard?

WildTangent
August 10th, 2005, 04:27 AM
i wasnt really sure this belonged in one of the hardware forums, as it doesnt directly involve ubuntu, or linux at all.

my question is if and ATX 2.0 (24 pin power socket) equiped motherboard will work with an older ATX 20 pin power supply. the reason i ask is, i finally have enough money for a major upgrade, but i forgot about the power supply.

-Wild

poofyhairguy
August 10th, 2005, 04:37 AM
i wasnt really sure this belonged in one of the hardware forums, as it doesnt directly involve ubuntu, or linux at all.

my question is if and ATX 2.0 (24 pin power socket) equiped motherboard will work with an older ATX 20 pin power supply. the reason i ask is, i finally have enough money for a major upgrade, but i forgot about the power supply.

-Wild

If you are going to do a big upgrade, better get a new power supply too. 450W+

WildTangent
August 10th, 2005, 05:47 AM
If you are going to do a big upgrade, better get a new power supply too. 450W+
thats sorta why i dont want to get an atx 2. because i recently bought a 430 W PSU, which should be more than adequate, but its the older standard

-Wild

WildTangent
August 10th, 2005, 10:25 PM
bump

NightwishFreak
August 11th, 2005, 09:12 PM
bump
this is what you need dude. a 20pin to 24 pin adaptor.

http://www.cellarcomputers.com/index.php?mod=catalog&dept=com&cat=W

cheers!

ps: check the 2nd item on the page =D

WildTangent
August 11th, 2005, 11:12 PM
thanks, ill have to look around to see where i can get one locally, if not ill order online. one question though...doesnt the mobo need those extra 4 wires for something?

-Wild

gil-galad
August 13th, 2005, 01:28 AM
The extra four wires are to provide extra power to the graphics card, you do not need them, nor do you need an adapter. I am running an atx2 board on a atx1 power supply with no problems.

WildTangent
August 13th, 2005, 03:13 AM
ah, thanks. i hope i dont need the extra power for the geforce 6600 im getting though...

-Wild