PDA

View Full Version : Who does 64 bit best?

slimdog360
September 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
After a very disappointing install of 64 bit kubuntu I have been trying to find the best distro that does 64 bit. Well Kubuntu is automatically ruled out and hence so is Ubuntu and xubuntu. I tried Arch, which for the most of it worked well but after a frustrating time of setting it up correctly Ive decided to try another distro.

miggols99
September 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM
I've heard mepis is very good with 64bit. Maybe you could give that a try.

Pancetilla
September 22nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
Sabayon (http://www.sabayonlinux.org/mod/mirrors/) looks impressive...but I only tried Live CD, didn't do the install...flash and all, everything is right from the start if you don't want to mess.

rsambuca
September 22nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
I have tried many 64bit distros. Perhaps if you let us know what you find 'disappointing" with kubuntu we can steer you in a different direction.

RedDwarf
September 22nd, 2007, 08:06 PM
The only distro with x86-64 I have tested for a long time is openSUSE. I think the problems are very common between distros:
- OpenOffice.org: I think it is available in 64bits since enough time ago for every distro to have the x86-64 version.
- Wine: Right now it is available only in x86... it's the same for every distro and no a problem.
- Flash: It is available only for x86, but at least openSUSE installs ndiswrapper automagically so you don't need to know there exist a problem at all.
- openSUSE separates libraries in "lib" and "lib64" directories. I think everybody but Debian does the same... and I don't know how Debian does it.
- openSUSE has "XXXXXXX-32bit" packages for compatibility. They allow to have the same packages installed at the same time for x86 and x86-64 since the "-32bit" packages haven't the data files and so there are no file conflicts.
- win32codecs: MPlayer isn't able to use 32bits codecs with a 64bits binary. There was some discusions in the mailing list to allow this. Anyway is a problem that affects every distro, and since the codecs that are only available for windows are few and are little used this isn't a big problem.

slimdog360
September 23rd, 2007, 03:49 AM
I have tried many 64bit distros. Perhaps if you let us know what you find 'disappointing" with kubuntu we can steer you in a different direction.

I randomly got a black screen.

fistfullofroses
September 23rd, 2007, 04:30 AM
When 128 bit processors are out I will install a 64 bit OS.