PDA

View Full Version : Going out of my mind!!!

Freddy
September 21st, 2007, 07:50 PM
Hi all.

I just bought myself a new "build myself" computer and got the parts today. I had no problems putting all the stuff together but when trying to boot the computer for the first time it went on and off again.
All the fans start and 2 seconds later it went down again (this happens every time I try to boot it), I checked all my cables (including panel cables) and made sure that all the cards were secured.

It's just on and off again =(, I refuse to believe that this is a hardware failure...but then again...maybe?

If anyone can come up with some ides of what can be wrong, you would make me a very happy man. By the way, I don't get any messages through the internal speaker or the keyboard led.

Thanks

angryfirelord
September 21st, 2007, 08:04 PM
If nothing comes on the screen or the LEDs don't change color (they stay green), then I believe it's a power supply issue. Disconnect everything except for the CPU (unless you have some extra thermal paste lying around) and keep the power supply plugged into the motherboard and power button. Then, begin adding components one by one.

Also, post the specs of your computer so we can get a general idea of how much power your computer is trying to draw.

Freddy
September 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks and it was a PSU issue. I took one from my other computer and the computer booted. So thanks a hole bunch.

Yoooder
September 21st, 2007, 09:49 PM
A great way to test a standard ATX power supply is...

0) Accept that if anything blows up I am not at all liable (but nothing should, I've done this dozens of times)
1) Unfold a paper clip into a U-shape
2) Grab the power-supply's motherboard connector (the 20 or 24 pin connector)
3) Stick one end of the paper clip into the connector's 1 green wire (well, the hole of the connector for the green wire)
4) Stick the other end of the paper clip into any of the black wires (grounds).

This will turn the PSU on, just as if it's connected to a motherboard that has been powered on. The PSU's fan(s) should spin, and you can grab your Fluke (or multimeter of choice) and test each pin of the PSU.

Anthem
September 21st, 2007, 10:38 PM
A great way to test a standard ATX power supply is...

0) Accept that if anything blows up I am not at all liable (but nothing should, I've done this dozens of times)
1) Unfold a paper clip into a U-shape
2) Grab the power-supply's motherboard connector (the 20 or 24 pin connector)
3) Stick one end of the paper clip into the connector's 1 green wire (well, the hole of the connector for the green wire)
4) Stick the other end of the paper clip into any of the black wires (grounds).

This will turn the PSU on, just as if it's connected to a motherboard that has been powered on. The PSU's fan(s) should spin, and you can grab your Fluke (or multimeter of choice) and test each pin of the PSU.
Fascinating.

I assume you hold the paper clip with rubberized pliers?

angryfirelord
September 22nd, 2007, 02:49 AM
Fascinating.

Well, the paper clip should stay in place so you wouldn't need anything.

Here's the tutorial with pictures: http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-power-supply-psu.html

southernman
September 22nd, 2007, 03:04 AM
edited - duh... read first then post!

regomodo
September 22nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
glad you sorted your issue out. I had exactly the same problem when i bought a ELSA nV 6800GT. Computer would not boot. I had to let the PSU warm up for ~1min then retry.

In the end i bought a xilence 550W to replace the cheapo 500w

Fascinating.

You can't electrocute yourself on that unless you're dripping in sweat