PDA

View Full Version : Bug #1: Microsoft has a majority market share

SKLP
August 9th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Look what i found: https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/1

What if it get FIXED, and ubuntu gets plagued by viruses because of it's big market share?

:roll:

EDIT: Kinda funny bug to submit IMHO :)

N'Jal
August 9th, 2005, 10:49 PM
It may well happen but inherently linux is more secure than window's anyway, since linux was designed to be networked and window's wasn't

I seem to remember Bil Gate's once said "The Internet? Who would want that?"

SKLP
August 9th, 2005, 11:44 PM
GNU/Linux might be a LITTLE better in terms of secure design, but not much AFAIK.

Even with SELinux etc, there will still be flaws.

N'Jal
August 9th, 2005, 11:55 PM
I never said there weren't flaw's hell i've submitted a couple of bug's myself, but i meant from a networked point of view Linux will be more secure by literally design.

Juergen
August 9th, 2005, 11:58 PM
You can even mount your /usr-partition read-only. Try this in windows...

Otherwise you can only hope that by switching to Linux, the awareness of 'security' being also a user thingy is awakened in the new Linux-users.

This also involves that threads here like 'I want to be always root' are handled carefully.
And because of this, those threads tend to get very long - sooner or later someone stumbles in and just says 'do a, b, c' without mentioning the dangers...
...and then the flaming begins (with Ubuntu not so much flaming ;-))

SKLP
August 10th, 2005, 12:12 AM
I never said there weren't flaw's hell i've submitted a couple of bug's myself, but i meant from a networked point of view Linux will be more secure by literally design.I meant network/security flaws.
And i'm not saying GNU/Linux is not more secure than windows.
I'm saying there will always be SOME flaws the virus/trojan/worm makers can exploit.
And the bigger the market share the more people will try to write viruses for it.