PDA

View Full Version : If you can play all PC games in Linux would you completely abondon Windows?

icett
September 21st, 2007, 06:03 PM
Yes thats the question I have for everyone here. If you could play all PC games in Linux without any problem and easily would you completely abondon Windows? My answerto this question is YES! I would not use that OS for the rest of my life. What is yours?:popcorn:

PmDematagoda
September 21st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Yes, definitely!! The only reason I use Windows is because Linux doesn't support a lot of games.:):guitar::lolflag:

Kzap333
September 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
I've put yes but I would probly have to still us M$ for work.

marco123
September 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM
I suppose, yes, because I play them on my XBox360. Therefore I don't need or use Windows. I think that PC gamers are a small percentage overall though.

karellen
September 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM
as I'm not a gamer the question is pretty irrelevant to me...:)

rapolas
September 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM
At home I already completely abandoned windows. But at work, I'm using only windows, because I need asp.net, c# and vb.net.. I tried at home with mono, but it was too complicated..

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM
I only play games that are found in Linux and DOS. I don't play Windows specific games.

I wish SuperTux were available for Windows...

voided3
September 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
Games and the occasional need for something windows only (once I needed IE to activate my Comcast modem... that's about all I can think of) are the only reason XP is on my comp. I use open office and neo office on my desktops and Macbook Pro so I don't need MS Office (i'm sure my teachers can't tell the difference when I hand in a paper) and Linux in general I think is the better yet woefully under-developed-for gaming platform. Oh well, I still have Quake 3/4, UT2k4, Nexuiz, and a bunch of other stuff, but I wish there were some awesome racing games for Linux; I play Flatout 1 & 2 a lot on windows as well as Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Trackmania Nations. I've tried games like TORCS and Trigger, but they remind me more of Need for Speed IISE from '97 (which I can play in a Win98 VM in Ubuntu using VMware :-) ) and though they still are fun, there just isn't as much there.

reyfer
September 21st, 2007, 06:25 PM
If games are an absolute necessity for you, over stability, choice, productivity and security, I guess you'll answer yes. Me? I have been windows free for two years now. For gaming, I have both a PSP and a Wii :)

Crashmaxx
September 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
I have practically abandoned windows anyway. Even when I only used XP, I only had a few games, and after I play them at first almost non-stop, I just don't bother anymore.

Too much of an arms race with PC gaming. Always have to get better hardware to play the newest games, and get the newest games to make use of your expensive hardware. So if I'm going to play anything, it will be my friends' consoles against them.

I wish I could completely stop having to use windows though. But my problem is that the school runs XP so any time I go in a lab I have to use it. And particularly for engineering, there are a lot of proprietary apps I can't get in Linux. Had to fire up XP the other day for EES, and I know I'll need it for SolidWorks.

But all these proprietary apps will come with more market share, or open-source alternatives will replace them. Dell is doing a great job pushing for open-source drivers, so I can see Linux growing a lot more very soon. All these catch-22 issues will go away once we get over the hump and Linux is common enough.

Nano Geek
September 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM
Although I use Windows for some games, the main reason I still use it is because I have programs that I need for school that only run on Windows.

starcraft.man
September 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM
All I have to say is people seriously overate the gamer base, there are far more non-gamers than gamers in the computing world.

argie
September 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Wouldn't make a difference, I use Ubuntu already. The only reason I would want to have that happen is so that all those "I pirated the latest game!" guys would shut up.

lundish
September 21st, 2007, 07:02 PM
yes, but also i'd like to be able to buy ms office 2007 and not to have to emulete it under wine.

Dragonbite
September 21st, 2007, 07:04 PM
as I'm not a gamer the question is pretty irrelevant to me...:)
+1

although most of the games I've been playing have been open source ones at this point (FreeCiv is addictive :) )

Skorzen
September 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Of course, yes. At least, at home. At school, I use Windows-only programs and the PCs are not mine so I don't care about the O.S. they use but at home I try to always use Ubuntu, and I don't play any game also.

Technophobia
September 21st, 2007, 07:11 PM
YES I would. windows would be dead to me if Steam Source games and WoW moved over.

Lord Illidan
September 21st, 2007, 07:11 PM
I don't play Windows games, however when Starcraft 2 comes out, I might even consider installing Windows to try it out - unless it is supported by Linux.

regomodo
September 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM
gaming and decent photo-editor apps on linux and then i'm happy and will switch. Until then, no.

hessiess
September 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM
lost interest in gaming ages ago, just ocatinaly play some against my brother

RageOfOrder
September 21st, 2007, 07:59 PM
No. I can't replace windows (sadly) until I find an proper linux app to replace Nero Vision (Basically I need a good DVD authoring program). That and games are the only things I ever use windows for.

tcpip4lyfe
September 21st, 2007, 08:02 PM
There aren't really any computer games that are catching my eyes these days. Last one I played was WOW about a year ago. If they did, I probably couldn't play them anyway because I still use an AGP graphic card. My computer is for movies, music, email and the web. I have a Wii which is way more fun then playing games on the computer.

aysiu
September 21st, 2007, 08:03 PM
There are a couple of flawed assumptions here:
1) That people have not already abandoned Windows
2) That people even play or care about PC games

These poll options would be better:
Yes, I would abandon Windows
No, I wouldn't abandon Windows. I use it for other reasons than games.
I have already abandoned Windows.
I don't play PC games.
I used to play PC games, but they weren't important enough to me to keep Windows around for.
I play PC games on Linux with no problems.
Other

ahaslam
September 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM
A definite 'yes' here.

I never used to have the hardware for games so nothing stopped me from going MS free a couple of years ago. When I got the hardware a few (maybe six) months ago I started playing games like Nexuiz, Quake4 & Doom3. Unfortunately that's about as far a Linux would take me. I'd played Oblivion in Wine but it just didn't live up to my expectations & Wine just can't play games such as FEAR or Bioshock because of their use of the .Net framework.

I've since purchased a second hard disk, installed XP and a selection of games on it, no AV or anything else, just games. Ironically, now I know my rig can play Bioshock at the highest levels, I just don't play. I've left FEAR at 3/4 and Bioshock after the 1st level for no real reason, they're both great games. The only real reason for this is rebooting, even if I'm not doing anything, my computer's often doing something for me, (data transfer, video encoding, music riping, compiling, whatever else takes time) damn C2D eh?

I wouldn't mind playing FEAR now, but I'm streaming a really good radio program. Guess I'll have to settle for Nexuiz, this trance music really makes me feel like fragging.

;)

PS. Good options there Aysiu, it would've had to allow multiple selections for me ;)

joecool362
September 21st, 2007, 08:46 PM
If I could play all of my windows games on ubuntu I would never put any microsoft:mad:operating system on my computer and delete my current one.

joecool362
September 21st, 2007, 08:49 PM
No. I can't replace windows (sadly) until I find an proper linux app to replace Nero Vision (Basically I need a good DVD authoring program). That and games are the only things I ever use windows for.

I'm sure if you looked long enough and hard enough you could a program that would do that. Google DVD authoring programs for linux see what it gets you.

Dark Hornet
September 21st, 2007, 11:01 PM
If all of the same games where on Linux--then YES!!!! That is the ONLY thing that I have a windows box for right now. I do everything else on my Ubuntu box--and have fun doing it! :guitar:

RageOfOrder
September 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM
I'm sure if you looked long enough and hard enough you could a program that would do that. Google DVD authoring programs for linux see what it gets you.

Do you know of anything?
I've got "tovid" which is a command line app to convert from avi to VIDEO_TS and burn, but it doesn't allow menu creation.

I've seen nothing that will convert an avi to dvd format and let me create a simple (background picture, music and a play button is all I need) and then burn it all within the same app.

Google has pointed me at Nero For Linux, Gnome Baker, toVid, and a few others, but nothing does was Nero Vision does. I've also seen this complaint on several other forums.

So if you know of something, let me know. Please.

regomodo
September 21st, 2007, 11:55 PM
Do you know of anything?
I've got "tovid" which is a command line app to convert from avi to VIDEO_TS and burn, but it doesn't allow menu creation.

I've seen nothing that will convert an avi to dvd format and let me create a simple (background picture, music and a play button is all I need) and then burn it all within the same app.

Google has pointed me at Nero For Linux, Gnome Baker, toVid, and a few others, but nothing does was Nero Vision does. I've also seen this complaint on several other forums.

DeVeDe or Transcode with mplayer (cli based)?

TBH i tried both back in Edgy and thought they were crap due to sound issues so i haven't bothered since

Mr. T
September 22nd, 2007, 01:07 AM
I used to think yes, but then there's still plenty of commerical software in Windows that aren't games which I'd prefer not to give up just yet.

Nano Geek
September 22nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
gaming and decent photo-editor apps on linux and then i'm happy and will switch. Until then, no.*cough* gimp?
*ducks and covers*

akiratheoni
September 22nd, 2007, 02:19 AM
I voted Yes, but regretted my decision. Granted, I would pretty much ditch Windows at my house, but I would still use it because it's essential for my tech classes at school.

NeutrinoX
September 22nd, 2007, 02:22 AM
Probably not. I solve Windows issues for thrills and excitement. ;)

Now seriously- definitively yes. Maybe there are a couple ******* of apps that might not run in WINE as they're strictly dependient on Windows. But I have a Win2k VMware virtual machine handy for them. Oh balls- that's not completely abandoning Windows anyway. :(

k99goran
September 22nd, 2007, 02:28 AM
I voted Yes. Though I would like to add another criteria: Creative X-Fi drivers. It's a great sound card, but there is not Linux drivers for it yet and using it has left me somewhat spoiled; I can't use he on board sound card anymore.

Linux wouldn't have to support all the games for me to switch, just a select few ones. I find Ubuntu to be a much friendlier environment than Windows XP, which feels sort of cold and sterile in comparison (if that makes sense).

regomodo
September 22nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
*cough* gimp?
*ducks and covers*

I used gimp for almost 2 years (it was my first photo editor). I switched to Photoshop and loved it. When i found Linux last year i returned to gimp and just hated it. I've kept trying to adjust to it but i can't

ahaslam
September 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Do you know of anything?

Tovid will do even more than that, upgrade & look at their wiki ;)

K.Mandla
September 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM
If you could play all PC games in Linux without any problem and easily would you completely abondon Windows?
I only play games in Linux, so I've already abandoned Windows. MS-free for almost two years now. ... ;)