PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu?

Pandemic187
September 21st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Why did you guys pick Ubuntu as your main distro?

I have to say that personally, I like the simplicity of it. Which is kind of counterintuitive, since for me Compiz Fusion almost a necessity nowadays. But the reason I don't like PCLinuxOS and other KDE-based distros is that I just don't like KDE very much. It's supposed to be better looking, perhaps more convenient and easy to use - but personally, I don't believe that to be the case. For me, the system panel is just too cluttered, with too many icons. And the fact that it has two rows for applications is just strange, especially since Linux has multiple desktops. I dunno, I just think GNOME is a better desktop environment. Of course I am aware of the existence of Kubuntu and such, but Ubuntu is originally a GNOME-based distribution.

Thoughts, anyone?

- Pan

karellen
September 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM
well did you choose ubuntu because of gnome? why not fedora or opensuse as they have both default gnome installations?
I've chosen Ubuntu because of three things:
Synaptic
the community
Canonical - predictive 6 month release cycle

Gremlinzzz
September 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Why ubuntu==cause you get to configure your system the way you want it too be.
:guitar:

el_ricardo
September 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM
as a gnome user i agree with you about the uncluttered factor, but the difference really lies in the "customizeability" with KDE. You can make it uncluttered with little effort, and with a little more effort make it just as aesthetically pleasing as gnome, but there ofcourse lies the difference, KDE relies on your input for it to be a useful user experience, gnome has that right out of the box!

people might argue that kde is better because it's so customizeable, it does use less resources from what i've heard, and there are a lot more utilities designed to integrate with it, but as they say, each to their own!

if you like simplicity, i'd give xfce4, and enlightenment a go, these are very simple desktops that can be quite attractive, and also very low on resources

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM

Try Arch if you want that.

I use Ubuntu because I don't have an Internet connection at home, otherwise, I'd probably use Arch.

I use Fluxbox, no clutter on my desktop. Actually, it is blank, a pure black desktop. I wrote my own theme, and made my own menu.

PmDematagoda
September 21st, 2007, 05:40 PM

Not wishing to undermine my support for Ubuntu, but as karallen said, you can use Fedora and OpenSUSE as well, which I believe do allow you to make the system the way you want.:)

FuturePilot
September 21st, 2007, 05:48 PM
It works the best for me.

rustybronco
September 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM
The look and feel of it (simplistic yet powerful), easy to add programs to it or remove programs I don't need, community support, it is the distro that i always return after trying others (I like to try to be a distro whor...) also because it has worked (sometimes small issues) on about every machine I have put it on, but MOSTLY because I can easily do what the heck I want to with it!

Gremlinzzz
September 21st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Used suse awhile back didn't care for it.Didn't use Arch will check it out.But always seem to go back too ubuntu as main system.

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Used suse awhile back didn't care for it.Didn't use Arch will check it out.But always seem to go back too ubuntu as main system.

If something works, there is no reason to change, but trying new things is fun, I think.

mostwanted
September 21st, 2007, 06:04 PM
Initially, because I had never tried out Gnome properly except for the lousy Gnome that came with Mandrake 8.

But also because it was only one CD (biggest plus for me) and because it had a different philosophy... back when Warty was released I remember it had some publicity on osnews.com about its crazy free CD scheme (which essentially had no limits or control checks back then).

Perpetual
September 21st, 2007, 06:13 PM
Just getting my feet wet with Ubuntu but I changed due to...

1. Community.
2. Predictable release schedules.
3. Wanted to get back to Gnome, didn't care much for OpenSuSE when I used it and chose Ubuntu out of the other major distros using Gnome.
4. Future advancement.

karellen
September 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM

and why not gentoo, arch, slackware?

Gremlinzzz
September 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM
Initially, because I had never tried out Gnome properly except for the lousy Gnome that came with Mandrake 8.

But also because it was only one CD (biggest plus for me) and because it had a different philosophy... back when Warty was released I remember it had some publicity on osnews.com about its crazy free CD scheme (which essentially had no limits or control checks back then).

Gods who promote violence should be put in jail!

malspa
September 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM
It isn't my main distro, but the reasons for trying Ubuntu:

- I like the "Ubuntu" concept.
- Free CDs.
- Wanted to learn about Gnome.
- Wanted to see how the LTS thing would work out.

Pandemic187
September 21st, 2007, 06:35 PM
well did you choose ubuntu because of gnome? why not fedora or opensuse as they have both default gnome installations?

openSUSE is actually the first distro I tried, about 3 years ago. When I first heard of Linux, the person who told me about it said SUSE would be a good bet. I tried 9.3 and 10.0 and wasn't too thrilled, although I am considering trying 10.3 when it is released. But I'm confused - doesn't SUSE have KDE by default?

Also, I've never tried Arch or Fedora, but I can't imagine them beating out Ubuntu for the sake of Ubuntu's community support as well as the synaptic. Who knows though. Actually, the distros I've tried are:

- openSUSE
- Debian
- Sabayon
- Ubuntu
- Mint
- PCLinuxOS

Of course, some I have used more extensively - probably Ubuntu and Linux Mint getting the most usage. Debian discouraged me when I found out how complicated it is to configure an Intel 3945 card on, plus its lack of up-to-date packages. I dunno, maybe I should still try more distros!

tmahmood
September 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Package Management System.

I hated fedora's crappy Package management system and still hate it. It was the only thing kept me back from using Linux.And I loved everything about Linux.

Now I'm using Ubuntu for over 1 half years, And very happy :)

mostwanted
September 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Gods who promote violence should be put in jail!

mkay?

Nano Geek
September 21st, 2007, 06:50 PM
I switched from Suse to Ubuntu for a few reasons.

I loved all of the packages that came in Synaptic
GNOME--I had used GNOME Fedora Core but I just didn't like it all that much
It just felt right

dizee
September 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM
Ubuntu was my first distro cos it was recommended for newbies. Since then I've tried out a lot of live cds and there are a few I like but I have no reason to change, Ubuntu does everything I need. As nice as elive is, for example, my wireless doesn't work on it, and I don't see the point in taking the time to figure it out all over again.

Skorzen
September 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM
I chose Ubuntu as my main distro because of its simplicity and because it was the first distro I used and... I like it! That's all.

siralphred
September 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM
being a former SUSE user,first i wanted to see what the noise was all about cos i couldnt be on the internet without running into the word "ubuntu" but i stuck with it for:
1. New release every 6 months (betas being available months before release)
2.Best community support in my opinion
3.Synaptic

Amazona aestiva
September 21st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Really good community support
Synaptic package manager
I prefer GNOME's desktop