PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between a game and a sport?

beercz
September 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM
We recently had a long debate in the office about this, without reaching a real conclusion. Over to you guys if you are bored and want something to talk about.

Mr. T
September 21st, 2007, 11:59 AM
The way I see it, a game is played mostly for enjoyment, for fun, and any competitive part to it isn't really taken too seriously. A sport can be enjoyed, but sports are generally much more competitive and focus strongly on the competitive nature. Sports also are taken more seriously - you have medals and awards in sports. Or something like that.

Oh, and with sport you have things like practice, regular practice, training and so forth. Games generally do not require dedicated preparation and work.

WakkiTabakki
September 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM
So, world class chess is a sport then :popcorn:

beercz
September 21st, 2007, 12:37 PM
Also, should the 'Olympic Games' be renamed 'Olympic Sports'?

Spr0k3t
September 21st, 2007, 12:50 PM
Also, should the 'Olympic Games' be renamed 'Olympic Sports'?

I think the Olympics should be just "Olympics" or "Olympic Competition" and nothing to do with sports or games.

A sport is a media driven annual event with a fan base. A game is an event of the sport which happens within a single period of time. At least those are my views.

Circus-Killer
September 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM
I think the Olympics should be just "Olympics" or "Olympic Competition" and nothing to do with sports or games.

A sport is a media driven annual event with a fan base. A game is an event of the sport which happens within a single period of time. At least those are my views.

i disagree. the way i see it is that a sport is a game. but game is not always a sport. sports are particularly are active in nature (athletics, soccer, rugby), where as not all games are. so this would come to my point as chess no being a sport, but rather just a game.

i've had this debate before, and no real conclusions will ever be made because them meanings of the two words vary from person to person. but this is just my opinion.

ddrichardson
September 21st, 2007, 12:58 PM
How about:

Game - "a single play of a sport or other contest; "the game lasted two hours""

Sport - "an active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition"

So, logically, a game would be a subset of sport - i.e. a single game of a sport.

beercz
September 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
i disagree. the way i see it is that a sport is a game. but game is not always a sport. sports are particularly are active in nature (athletics, soccer, rugby), where as not all games are. so this would come to my point as chess no being a sport, but rather just a game.

i've had this debate before, and no real conclusions will ever be made because them meanings of the two words vary from person to person. but this is just my opinion.
In the UK darts and snooker are considered sports.
Ice skating is considered a sport. What about ballroom dancing?

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 01:55 PM
Is golf considered a sport?

I think if something is competative in nature, it is called a sport, and many games are competative, thus sports.

Minesweeper is a game, Chess can be a sport.

beercz
September 21st, 2007, 02:16 PM
Is golf considered a sport?

I think if something is competative in nature, it is called a sport, and many games are competative, thus sports.

Minesweeper is a game, Chess can be a sport.
What about things like quizzes - they can be competitive. Are they a sport?

Businesses are competitive!

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 02:37 PM
What about things like quizzes - they can be competitive. Are they a sport?

Businesses are competitive!

I don't think there is a clear answer to this, it seems things are sports when they are called that by the players/competitors.

Some marketing people believe it is a sport.

argie
September 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Some fellows claim that Rock-Paper-Scissors is a sport, so I guess there isn't a real definition as such.

Miguel
September 21st, 2007, 04:00 PM
I do consider pro golf a sport. Although in the past you could succeed in golf without being in top form, you will see most pros today are quite fit for a sport in which you are only supposed to walk.

Regarding chess, a friend of mine is IM (International Master) and has a GM norm. If you see him playing a tournament, well, you will feel the tension. In that case, even if lifting a pawn is no physical exercise, it might still be considered a sport.

And regarding ice skating... have you ever skated before?

reyfer
September 21st, 2007, 04:08 PM
Lets put it this way: Baseball is a sport, but you go to the stadium to watch a baseball game. Same with soccer and what you americans call football (never understood why, if they carry the ball on their hands). They are sports, but you go to watch a game. :lolflag:

ThinkBuntu
September 21st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Pain and sweat :^)

jviscosi
April 1st, 2008, 09:14 PM
In the UK darts and snooker are considered sports.
Ice skating is considered a sport. What about ballroom dancing?

Competitive ballroom dancing is a sport. Social ballroom is a hobby and can be a good form of exercise, especially if you do a lot of samba, quickstep, cha-cha, or Viennese waltz. ;-)

clanky
April 1st, 2008, 09:22 PM
Chess is a game, but not a sport

Football (proper football with a round ball) is both a game and a sport

Kayaking is a sport, but not a game.