View Full Version : semantic web logic

cubytes
September 21st, 2007, 04:19 AM
I have figured it out................

the semantic web will be social driven by
user preference
user profiles
and the spread of information on social grids

the hard part will be getting all of this data to communicate with meta data in order to compare, in a way to produce information that will be more direct and precise.

the problem is getting the social networks to rise up to this challenge otherwise the social data will have to be composed collected and maintained on the browser level or computer level, if that is the case then I guess your privacy would be out the window

in order for the semantic web to produce viable results the computer or system driving the semantic web will have to know more about the user, the best way to get this information is by utilizing a social network and there are several that are giving out their API's at least I think so

the semantic web will be meta data driven also by
web developers tagging content and information
applying additional identifying information for content hosted on their web servers

so there will be a utilization of social data such as preferences biographies, and other content that will be compared to meta data such as tags or additional data added on to identify the content or information in order to provide precise and direct information either by search or by RSS

what do you think?

Wybiral
September 21st, 2007, 04:26 AM
Huh? Isn't that the internet? Or are you talking about MySpace?

I don't understand what you're getting to... What's your idea / question?

Oh yeah, can you try to punctuate next time you post an idea? I don't mean that in an offensive way either, it's just that it would be easier for everyone to read.

EDIT:

I think I get it... But I think feeds and XML are already making this possible right now. Just subscribe to some feeds and let the data come to you. I think any frequently updated site that doesn't have an RSS feed is living in the stone age. But this isn't a fixable problem, we just have to support it and hope everyone adopts it. If this isn't what you mean, could you elaborate?

cubytes
September 21st, 2007, 05:30 AM
ok here is a scenario:

-a user has a dig profile, a stumble profile, and a facebook profile, and any other social network that is willing to give out their API.

-A program grabs all of this information and caches it

-the user then wants to know something

-lets say the user wants to go on a vacation

-so the user enters the term "vacation" into a search prompt

-the results will come back with vacation ideas that are direct and concise to what would fit the user (i.e budget, children, location, and what not without having to input additional criteria)

so basically the search engine will capture input from users social profiles and what not to provide intelligent search results

the semantic web engine will grab information about the user from all kinds of accounts to generate information and search results that are intelligent

what do you think?

kostkon
September 21st, 2007, 06:18 AM
By saying meta data and tagging I assume you mean microformats, which they are supposed to help bring the semantic web a little closer.

Soarer
September 21st, 2007, 10:12 AM
what do you think?

I think it will bring you a stream of annoying adverts about holidays :)

Seriously, those people you mention are in it for the money. Only FOSS will bring the benefits that are possible.

pmasiar
September 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
I have figured it out...

what do you think?

I think that you have no idea (again) what you are talking about, and again your lack of knowledge would be cured by reading **one** page of wikipedia, which you (again) ignored.

<snip>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_web is something different. And metadata you mentioned is also something different. BTW smart people (ie **not** you) think about it for quite a long time, and they **already started** adding this "semantic information" (which is **not** metadata) in form of FOAF http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microformats

So if you tried to reinvent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIOC , you are (again) too late - try to learn what is there before "inventing" something existing.

<snip>

hod139
September 21st, 2007, 01:59 PM
I have figured it out................

the semantic web will be social driven by
user preference
user profiles
and the spread of information on social grids

<snip>

what do you think?

I think you need to realize that the semantic web is already taken, you need to find a new name. As pmasiar pointed out in the wikipedia article, the semantic web is an alive and well research topic. If you want all the gory details, you can check out Professor Jim Hendler's page (http://www.cs.rpi.edu/%7Ehendler/) (he's the one who started it in case you didn't know). He recently came to RPI and I was lucky enough to have my office right next to his during the spring. Interesting guy.

cubytes
September 21st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Fruition

What I propose is an entity that captures information about the user from social profiles, internet accounts, and other information available on the internet describing that user in order to provide intelligent search results

thats it

The first idea I had about the next generation of search engines required the user to describe the term and pick the content they want to include in their results

this idea will be able to figure that out for them

hod139
September 21st, 2007, 04:52 PM
<snip>

The first idea I had about the next generation of search engines required the user to describe the term and pick the content they want to include in their results

Sorry, this already exists too. They're called Oracles (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle).

I've got to ask, what level of AI experience (or even computer science for that matter) do you have?

Tomosaur
September 21st, 2007, 05:06 PM
Fruition

What I propose is an entity that captures information about the user from social profiles, internet accounts, and other information available on the internet describing that user in order to provide intelligent search results

thats it

This is exactly what 'targeted ads' are. People hate this, as has been proven time and time again. They don't want the computer to guess what they'd be interested in, they want the computer to get the best results when they explicitly TELL it what they're interested in. This is why Google is so popular.

The thing you're describing is what companies already do - sell your information between each other so that they can call you up when you get home from work and try to sell you something you have expressed no interest in.

Targeted advertising = bad.
Accurate / Relevant search results = good.

As relevant as Google's search results are - they are fairly easily manipulated (read up on Google bombing), and this is what we need to improve.

CptPicard
September 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM

Google and pals are hard at work at doing exactly this, trying to figure out stuff about you based on the information you give them, and then attempting to match you with ads.

Seriously, as a user concerned about my own privacy, the fewer "entities" there are on the net "capturing information" about me from all sorts of sources and correlating it, the happier I am. When I want to search for something, I go for it myself, instead of preferring some software making guesses for me based on my private information...

cubytes
September 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM
none really,
I want to take computer science classes when I finish my AS IT degree!!(I got 5 months left )

I would love to get a CS degree, that would be greatness, there is no telling what I could come up with then!!!

Speaking of CS
I have even come up with a project that could be extraordinarym I call it the "Zeus project", which is basically a DC powered computer system!!

The way it will work is that the power source will build an incredible amount of potential electricity, and when a capacitor or what ever starts losing its charge the power source will emit a tiny electrical discharge to refill the capacitor, actually the tiny discharges will occur about a 1000 times (or more) a second constantly recharging capacitors, or constantly sending power to processors and what not.

This project is for high-end non-volatile data storage systems, and it can be used for high-end processing systems as well.

The only problem I am guessing is that without a current
how would you move the data?

CptPicard
September 21st, 2007, 05:23 PM
I have even come up with a project that could be extraordinarym I call it the "Zeus project", which is basically a DC powered computer system!!

Ever looked inside your computer? The wires coming out of the power unit are DC...

Honestly, I won't dignify the nonsense with a rebuttal, although electrical engineering is not my strongest point...

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
I would love to get a CS degree, that would be greatness, there is no telling what I could come up with then!!!

...you're right, there is no telling, so please don't.

cubytes
September 21st, 2007, 05:26 PM
yeah your right privacy is everything

I don't want to be responsible for a huge entity that is basically spying on you to improve your search results, what is to keep this company from using this information to make money for targeted ads, I personally would not do it but as a businessman the only thing that would make sense is more money so yeah bad idea

pmasiar
September 21st, 2007, 05:32 PM
I want to take computer science classes when I finish my AS IT degree!!(I got 5 months left )

I assume AS is associate diploma in IT? **Some** achievement!

<snip>

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 05:36 PM
But it is so fun to respond to you, i guess nobody can resist.... :-/

Seeing the stuff you and others, and me now, write, I wonder if the OP actually reads or comprehends the responses.

cubytes
September 21st, 2007, 05:40 PM
I could make some viruses that infect cell phones, smart phones and PDAs, a sort of mobile device bot net, with the potential to deploy massive DDOS attacks unlike anything the world has ever seen, enough to bring down an entire cellular network. A virus that would be spread every time you make or take a call!!

How about spyware on cell phones, that monitors and collect your conversations on a server, or it will just basically run up your cell bill!!!

What if I created a worm that could maintain its life cycle on cell phones and replicate by bluetooth, hopping from cell-phone too computer!!!

or I could just make the security software for cell phones and mobile devices and make a fortune!!!

cubytes
September 21st, 2007, 05:44 PM
I did not care much in high-school............................

I am hoping the AS degree will be a bargaining pitch of some sort!!!

CptPicard
September 21st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Sorry, but it's toilet paper. They are a dime a dozen, even Bachelor's ones.

Even CS Master's degrees are pretty much watered down these days, unless you really make an effort to take the theory as it was intended to be. Like I did :)

cubytes
September 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
wow!!!

oh well I guess your glass IS always half empty,
with such a negative outlook
no wonder

lighten up, smile, laugh,

be happy with what you got

and feel free to trash my dreams as much as you want

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM
wow!!!

oh well I guess your glass IS always half empty,

I see a glass twice as big as it needs to be.

Don't underestimate yourself, but don't over estimate either.

cubytes
September 21st, 2007, 06:06 PM
don't worry about that my friend

I am modest with a lack of self-confidence

which is the main reason I am still talking about my ideas................

I am working on that though, I got this new sales job and so far I have made a significant increase in my confidence and my communication skills!!

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 06:12 PM
I am working on that though, I got this new sales job and so far I have made a significant increase in my confidence and my communication skills!!

Try:

How to Win Friends and Influence People (http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671723650)

and

How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People By Public Speaking (http://www.amazon.com/Develop-Self-Confidence-Influence-People-Speaking/dp/0671746073/ref=sr_1_1/104-3934035-2515111?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190394682&sr=1-1)

Great books, low cost too.

cubytes
September 21st, 2007, 06:19 PM
thanks I am going to check them out as soon as I get off from work tonight!!

thanks for all of the advice and criticism, and yeah Ubuntu forum users are awesome!!!

Remember That............................................

hod139
September 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM
I assume AS is associate diploma in IT? **Some** achievement!

Sorry, but it's toilet paper. They are a dime a dozen, even Bachelor's ones.

What's with all the associate degree hate! I'm guessing the posts of cubytes have caused most of the negativity, but still, no one should trash an associates degree. There are many times when one can simply not afford to go to a 4 year college, or are getting an associates with the hopes of moving on to a 4 year degree, etc. Without knowing their personal situation, comments like these are very callous. No one should ever be rdiculed for trying to further his or her education.

aks44
September 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM
O...M...G...

I could make some viruses that infect cell phones, [...] massive DDOS attacks unlike anything the world has ever seen, [...] collect your conversations on a server [...] hopping from cell-phone too (sic) computer!!!

What achievement would that be? Millions of teenagers can do that with a few google searches and a few hours of work... Would you be proud of being called a "script kiddie"? I guess not...

or I could just make the security software for cell phones and mobile devices and make a fortune!!!

Then DO IT, instead of just bragging! We already told you numerous times: DO IT. Someone else already quoted Linus Torvalds in another thread, but I'll repeat *again*, in case you didn't get it: "talk is cheap, show us the code!"

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 06:25 PM
What's with all the associate degree hate! ... Without knowing their personal situation, comments like these are very callous. No one should ever be rdiculed for trying to further his or her education.

Probably due to over reaching, not AS bashing.

People with AS are often in a better place than higher degrees after graduation, depending on the program.

aks44
September 21st, 2007, 06:28 PM
What's with all the associate degree hate!

<OT>

Pardon my ignorance... but what is exactly an "associate degree"?

Please keep in mind that I'm french, so please explain using someone's age and/or "normal" cursus.

This is just out of curiosity.

FWIW I only have the "baccalauréat" ie. something you normally get at about 18 y.o., I made no "superior" studies, no university (I think you call it "college")
So I guess I only have a high school degree (please correct me if I messed it up ;))

</OT>

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM

FWIW I only have the "baccalauréat" ie. something you normally get at about 18 y.o., I made no "superior" studies, no university (I think you call it "college")

Associates Degrees take about 2 years to get.

Bachelors degree s take about 4 years to get.

Masters degrees take 5-6 years to get.

Universities and colleges sometimes refer to the same thing. In USA, Universities are collections of colleges. Universities are bigger in general.

hod139
September 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
<OT>

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associate's_degree: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associate%27s_degree:)
"In the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) and, more rarely, Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada), an associate degree is equivalent to the first two years of a four-year college (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College) or university (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University) degree. It is the lowest in the hierarchy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchy) of postsecondary academic degrees offered in these countries."

Edit: Interesting, a copy and paste from the wikipedia article preserved the links. How about that.

pmasiar
September 21st, 2007, 06:34 PM
No one should ever be rdiculed for trying to further his or her education.

I agree and apologize to all other AS degree holders -- <snip>. One thing is to advance your education by any means available to you, which is always commendable. Something other is to claim "visionary" inventions, like DC-powered CPU - after almost getting AS, one would expect him to know how CPUs are powered?

I still think that cubytes is a troll, but rather clever one. Not easy to ignore, making lots of noise, lots of baits, someone would bite. And cubytes has competitive advantage: he does waste time on **reading** our responses, just shoots another bait for us. Very clever indeed. Our community is I guess powerless against this kind of a troll. Is there any recourse?

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
I still think that cubytes is a troll, but rather clever one. Not easy to ignore, making lots of noise, lots of baits, someone would bite. And cubytes has competitive advantage: he does waste time on **reading** our responses, just shoots another bait for us. Very clever indeed. Our community is I guess powerless against this kind of a troll. Is there any recourse?

A harmless troll if one.

hod139
September 21st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Universities and colleges sometimes refer to the same thing. In USA, Universities are collections of colleges. Universities are bigger in general.
Universities do active research, whereas colleges are focused on teaching. That is, universities offer advanced degrees (masters and PhDs) whereas colleges only offer bachelors (4-year) degrees.

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM
Universities do active research, whereas colleges are focused on teaching. That is, universities offer advanced degrees (masters and PhDs) whereas colleges only offer bachelors (4-year) degrees.

Universities contain colleges, but I don't know if that defines them.

aks44
September 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associate's_degree: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associate%27s_degree:)

I guess I should have known better than asking head first, and I should have researched it first. My bad. :oops:

Anyway it seems that "AS" is what we'd call "BAC+2" here, so there's no need to be ashamed of it. Many very competent people don't even have such a degree.
Granted, many of the *very* competent people are self taught, and from what I've seen when recruiting youngsters, the more degrees, the less competence (in general, YMMV).

Edit: Interesting, a copy and paste from the wikipedia article preserved the links. How about that.

Looks like your browser is quite smart. :)

hod139
September 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Universities contain colleges, but I don't know if that defines them.
This is not always true, but yes at many universities it is, and only adds confusion to the terms. In general though, universities do research and grant advanced degrees (in addition to the 4 year degree), colleges focus on teaching and grant 4 year degrees.

For an interesting read on the terms, see: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=761724

aks44
September 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM
Universities do active research, whereas colleges are focused on teaching.

Funny, in France there is no distinction. We call it "university" and they do both research and teaching.

FWIW, here the word "college" is the school for 11 to 15 y.o....
Next there is the "lycée" (16 to 18 yo)
Then universities or other "superior studies" institutions (preparatory classes, ...)

EDIT: messed up the ages... :oops:

LaRoza
September 21st, 2007, 06:54 PM
FWIW, here the word "college" is the school for 10 to 14 y.o....

Yes, the use of the word "college" cause some schools to change to the name "univerisity" to avoid the problems.

CptPicard
September 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
Hmm. My impression of an Associate's has been something I did in Statistics as part of my CS Master's in perhaps about two weeks total. :) So perhaps the US version is a bit more demanding...

Anyway, the point is that if you're in computing/IT and you're serious about it, you should at least be a hobbyist up to some lower-level degree level. Honestly, my CS B.Sc. was something I easily could have picked up on my own, and pretty much did. The only things I needed to be taught in was some of the Master's level stuff. As aks pointed out, people without degrees can be remarkably competent in this field.

If I were hiring people to actually get something done, I would be very suspicious of someone with just a low-level degree and not much else to show for it. At worst, they are so-called "code monkeys"...

aks44
September 21st, 2007, 10:47 PM
If I were hiring people to actually get something done, I would be very suspicious of someone with just a low-level degree and not much else to show for it.

Whenever I had to recruit someone, I always was like "wow, (s)he's got such an awesome resume, let's call him(her)!!11!!!".

But most of the time, the better the resume, the worst the real person. :(

From *my* experience (YMMV), self taught people are (most often) the best. Just because they're the least lazy when it comes to learning new stuff.

I've seen myself rejecting numerous so-called "engineers" ("do you know how to make a server?"... "Yes!"... "what about multithreading / concurrency?"... "Huh?????"... "ok, here is the door...").

So, in my current POV, degrees are worth nothing. What you *really* *know* is all what's worth.

CptPicard
September 21st, 2007, 11:09 PM
So, in my current POV, degrees are worth nothing. What you *really* *know* is all what's worth.

Oh, I wouldn't go as far as saying that degrees aren't worth anything... I do very much value my own education, although I willingly admit that in general practice I probably lose in actual real-world experience to some person who has been in industry for the years I've spent thinking about data fusion in sensor networks, support vector machines and the like :)

This is a field where being able to self-teach is important, and this is why I do not give much weight to low-level degrees in particular. You just simply do not need to go to school for that. You should be able to get up to that point on your own, and then some. I have been self-teaching myself in the "practical matters" all the way through university in order not to fall behind too much while I've been involved with pencil and paper... I've never held a "real job" but have rather been coding freelance for this one too-rich friend of mine who is more dependent on my theoretical skills than my coding skills. :p

CS education starts becoming genuinely useful only at a later phase... that's when it really starts to educate you in an academic sense... making you actually see things in a broader perspective, and giving you the ability to really solve problems generally from a theoretical perspective. But for that, you really must go for a Master's, IMO. And no, it doesn't make you neccessarily a good programmer...

pmasiar
September 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM
I agree with both of you :-)

It is fairly easy to get basics, so low-level diploma means nothing. But also, I seen very smart kids from high school (no college) which know current stuff, and know it well, but lack understanding where it all fits in biger picture. In a sense, just very skilled monkeys. It was funny experience when this kid, which we hired after high school (when he was not accepted in his first choice of school and did not want any other, worked for us couple years, then got hired by our language vendor, it was PROGRESS 4GL BTW) was training us on new version of language we were going to switch, and was obvious where he confused new features with common features of OOP which he had no clue about. It was kind of painful too.

So yes, good education is important, at least it will help you to develop better "gut feeling" where you encounter something new - you will have clue how it fits in bigger picture, maybe. :-) Of course practical experience beats theorethical any time.

CptPicard
September 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Of course practical experience beats theorethical any time.

I have heard enough horror stories from my friends about "skilled monkey" coworkers trying to solve (efficiently) known NP-hard problems with mere sleight of hand, or (poorly, or weirdly) reinventing known algorithms that I am not all that certain of this :)

But that's probably what I would try to sell myself with if I really had to go out and do it... I am by no means a bad programmer, am fast learner enough that I am going to get the experience in a few years, and I can hit the library in search of an algorithm should we need one and I didn't have one in my toolkit already... and I will be able to tell when some approach is obviously doomed.

cubytes
September 24th, 2007, 01:50 AM
I would like to add that my ideas are just visionary, and not really backed by any knowledge/experience other then that they just sound really good, and the fact that a lot of my ideas are already out there is evidence to me that I am on the right track or at least I have the right mindset!!!

I am starting to come out of my shell so to speak and a lot of my self-confidence is coming back, but the problem is I don't know where to start to get funding for my projects, especially the one that I haven't told you guys about which is the only idea I seriously plan on pursuing!!

Wybiral
September 24th, 2007, 02:00 AM
... but the problem is I don't know where to start to get funding for my projects ...

Learn to code already!

lol

cubytes
September 24th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I think I should try hardware design first.......
anyone interested in my hardware designs?
besides the Zeus project, which is a crazy idea and I meant to say (ED) instead of DC, ED meaning Electrical Discharge based computer system!!

CptPicard
September 24th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I am starting to come out of my shell so to speak and a lot of my self-confidence is coming back

Oh no. Does this mean that in the future we'll have to listen to even longer rants about your ideas with even less actual substance to back them up, just your increased self-confidence? ;)

And funding should be no issue, you were supposed to buy Novell, no? Or did your backing venture capitalist buddies run away? :)

pmasiar
September 24th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I would like to add that my ideas are just visionary, and not really backed by any knowledge/experience

Of course, anyone who read any of your "visionary ideas" can tell that none of them are backed by **any** knowledge or experience - it is complete industry-grade ***! Sadly, SCO is bankrupt, you could have good position there. :-) But fear not, SCO-like company will emerge again, and they will need your lack of skills!

> other then that they just sound really good,

Exactly. They **sound** good for other people with complete lack of technical skills <snip>

<snip>

aks44
September 24th, 2007, 06:48 PM
... but the problem is I don't know where to start to get funding for my projects ...
Learn to code already!

+1

Even if your goal is not to become a programmer but rather some kind of manager, you'd better be able to understand what your future employees will do. If you don't understand their job, you won't have any control on them...

You want a feature they don't want to implement (because of lazyness, ethics, code "harmony" or whatever)? You won't have it, they'll just serve you some mumbo-jumbo tech talk and you won't have any way of telling if this is true because you just won't understand a single word. Believe me, I once worked in a small company where the boss was so clueless that we could afford to behave like this when we didn't like his decisions.

Moreover, even if you find funding for your projects, a non productive person in a startup company is the best way to head for failure.

So... you'd really better learn to code... ;)

Wybiral
September 24th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I think I should try hardware design first.......

Right... Then beg others to write your drivers? How are you going to interface this hardware to test/develop/deploy it? You'll still need to know how to program. Grab some tutorials and dive in. You aren't going to accomplish many of your goals unless you do this.

It doesn't take a ton of time (certainly no more then it would to keep up with the hardware industry) and it can apply to SO many of the areas of ideas you've been spewing out to all of us.

If you enjoy paying large sums of money to have people do the work that you could learn to do yourself... Fine. But programming doesn't take a genius, you just have to be willing to learn.