PDA

View Full Version : Change ubuntu

yorkie
September 20th, 2007, 10:11 PM
What`s the first thing you change after you installed Ubuntu?.
Wallpaper
Default Apps
or something else.

Bothered
September 20th, 2007, 10:31 PM
1. Move the toolbars into my preferred locations
2. Update
3. Install restricted drives
4. Add universe, multiverse and third party repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list
5. Install software
6. Run through the preferences and administration menus
7. Configure programs on applications menu, and make custom edits to /boot/grub/menu.lst and some files in /etc.
8. Restore backups of personal files

jnorthr
September 20th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Depends on what you want to change. It is not necessary to change anything at all if you are happy with the themes, fonts, colors, etc and the applications have what you need.

yabbadabbadont
September 20th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Command line only install, ubuntu-standard and ubuntu-minimal are the meta-packages. Then I remove anything dealing with wireless networking as I have none. Next I replace all upstart related packages with good old sysvinit. Then I add Xorg and dev tools and libraries. I then build Fluxbox from SVN source. Finally, I add in e-mail client, browser, and various multimedia applications.

Nano Geek
September 20th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Command line only install, ubuntu-standard and ubuntu-minimal are the meta-packages. Then I remove anything dealing with wireless networking as I have none. Next I replace all upstart related packages with good old sysvinit. Then I add Xorg and dev tools and libraries. I then build Fluxbox from SVN source. Finally, I add in e-mail client, browser, and various multimedia applications.Man! You're a REAL Linux geek.

;)

yabbadabbadont
September 20th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Man! You're a REAL Linux geek.

;)

Thanks... I think. :lol:

n3tfury
September 20th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Depends on what you want to change. It is not necessary to change anything at all if you are happy with the themes, fonts, colors, etc and the applications have what you need.

perhaps you need to re-read the first post.

jrusso2
September 20th, 2007, 11:12 PM
First thing I change is to install KDE. Then I change the wall paper and widgets and colors to something more acceptable to my eyes.

hessiess
September 20th, 2007, 11:14 PM
install gpu drivers
install blender
edit the panels
remove unnesoserry main menu itioms
remove unwanted programs

rsambuca
September 20th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Hmmm... let's see. I think it is usually something like this:

nVidia drivers - dual monitor setup
codecs - mp3's, dvd...
swiftweasel32 with flash and java plugins - web browsin'
ntfs-3g - I still need XP
vlc - handy media viewer, plays just about anything
audacity - great for fixing/resampling music files
avidemux - video editor, just for our homemade videos
gramps - genealogy program
tuxpaint - drawing program for kids
skype - for gabbin'
bluefish, jalbum generator, nvu, and gftp - web design
wallpapers and themes constantly change.

aimran
September 21st, 2007, 01:11 AM
First thing I change is to install KDE. Then I change the wall paper and widgets and colors to something more acceptable to my eyes.

May I ask why not just install kubuntu?

For me I install the ati driver... or at least i think - since it says it's installed but i still get huge cpu spikes when moving windows.

p_quarles
September 21st, 2007, 01:16 AM
I just did this today, actually. I've grown fond of KDE, and installing it on top of the default Ubuntu installation just left my system too bloated and buggy.

Aside from the time-consuming process of transferring my files from the backup server, the most important changes were:
1) Installing my web site administration tools (SciTE and Filezilla)
2) Setting up the keyboard shortcuts and bash aliases
3) All that proprietary stuff that's hard to get by without (Flash, DVD codecs, Java, etc)
4) Making it pretty (Beryl, AWN, custom themes, wallpaper, etc.)
5) Installing the latest version of OpenArena

Nakkis
September 21st, 2007, 01:54 AM
Install better themes.
Get rid of esd or arts and set up dmix.
Customize the user interface.
Install krita when using KDE.
Customize the appearance some more. ;)