PDA

View Full Version : Little known Ubuntu CD feature

FuturePilot
September 20th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Well at least I think it's little known. So last night just for giggles I decided to stick an Ubuntu CD in a Windows box. I guess I have a thing for doing random things when I'm up at 2:30 AM. So anyways to my surprise Something pops up on the screen

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/1089/surpriseyv7.th.png (http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=surpriseyv7.png)

It actually contains 5 open source programs for Windows. Firefox, Thunderbird, Abiword, Blender, and Clamwin

It also has a little tour of Ubuntu

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8426/tourmz5.th.png (http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tourmz5.png)

Pretty interesting. I was totally surprised all this was on the Ubuntu CD
:guitar:

LaRoza
September 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM
That is in the "autorun" feature, which I disabled, like most people with some sense of security.

It is a neat feature, but it is known, at least to me. (Quite cool, isn't it?)

notwen
September 20th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Kinda neat the disc has it's uses working in both OSes. =p

Nano Geek
September 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I find it funny that they include Blender but not the GIMP since the GIMP is better know.

LaRoza
September 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I find it funny that they include Blender but not the GIMP since the GIMP is better know.

Maybe one is easier to use, I don't know, I don't use either of them.

Kingsley
September 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM
That's funny. I would think it's common because the first thing Windows users might do with their Ubuntu disc is load it up on Windows. That's what I did when I first discovered Ubuntu.

Nano Geek
September 20th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Maybe one is easier to use, I don't know, I don't use either of them.Blender is for advanced 3D graphic work, and it is not easy to use.

The GIMP is more like Photoshop, which seems like a program more users would want.

LaRoza
September 20th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Blender is for advanced 3D graphic work, and it is not easy to use.

The GIMP is more like Photoshop, which seems like a program more users would want.

Interesting, maybe whoever made the package likes Blender better than GIMP.

r76
September 20th, 2007, 05:37 PM

I'm sure it used to be on there in the past, blender certainly didn't.

FuturePilot
September 20th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Blender and Gimp are two totally different programs. Gimp is an image manipulator/editor. Blender is for making 3D animations.

I do agree this definitely would help new users to get started.

hessiess
September 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Blender and Gimp are two totally different programs. Gimp is an image manipulator/editor. Blender is for making 3D animations.

I do agree this definitely would help new users to get started.

if you learn to use the technology to your advantage, blender can be used for 2d image work(mostly texture making) it is a verry powerfall pacage

it also has a verry good compositor and a video sequence editor(although the later eats ram :( )

jgrabham
September 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I knew you could do that, because I found a CD with no label, shoved it into the nearest PC I had (which happened to be xp) and that started. Cool

p_quarles
September 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I imagine that the GIMP is omitted because the Windows version is dependent on Gtk+. AbiWord instead of OOo Writer probably for a similar reason (though I imagine most Windows users already have a JRE installed).

SuperDuck
September 20th, 2007, 06:48 PM
It can also be used as a coaster. Keep your table looking its newest!

p_quarles
September 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
It can also be used as a coaster. Keep your table looking its newest!
Isn't that what the pop-out cupholder on my PC is for?

az
September 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I imagine that the GIMP is omitted because the Windows version is dependent on Gtk+. AbiWord instead of OOo Writer probably for a similar reason (though I imagine most Windows users already have a JRE installed).

In earlier versions of Ubuntu both openoffice.org and abiword were included. So was the Gimp. In fact, that's how I installed it on my father-in-law's Windows XP computer.

There were many other apps (they are from theOpenCD) but as Ubuntu took more and more space, those windows apps no longer had room on the cd.

SuperDuck
September 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Isn't that what the pop-out cupholder on my PC is for?

Yes, but if you've ever accidentally closed the cupholder while a styrofoam cup (filled with Tab) was in there you can see the wisdom in the coaster.

Nano Geek
September 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM
if you learn to use the technology to your advantage, blender can be used for 2d image work(mostly texture making) it is a verry powerfall pacage

it also has a verry good compositor and a video sequence editor(although the later eats ram :( )I agree that Blender is a very powerful tool, but new users would have trouble using it, especially if all they wanted to do was edit some family photos.

Lord Illidan
September 20th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Yes, but if you've ever accidentally closed the cupholder while a styrofoam cup (filled with Tab) was in there you can see the wisdom in the coaster.

That's cool!

p_quarles
September 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM
lol . . . Now I have a mental picture of my mom trying to use Blender to remove the redeye from a vacation photo.

It is a great app, but it's in the "if you know how to use it, you probably already do" category.

the_forc3
September 20th, 2007, 07:21 PM
lol i agree blender and GIMP are completely different from what i know.. im a newbie :D

hessiess
September 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM
lol . . . Now I have a mental picture of my mom trying to use Blender to remove the redeye from a vacation photo.

It is a great app, but it's in the "if you know how to use it, you probably already do" category.

i suspect its completely possible to do red eye removal with blender.
i expect you can replicate most of gimps filters with the compositor

p_quarles
September 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM
i suspect its completely possible to do red eye removal with blender.
i expect you can replicate most of gimps filters with the compositor
I don't doubt that at all. It would just be kind of excessive to load Blender for a task that simple.

nikoPSK
September 23rd, 2007, 03:59 AM
I found that out about a year ago when I popped in the 2.0 beta ubuntu cd for vmware. I kind of dismissed it and continued.