PDA

View Full Version : How do I replace a CPU fan and heatsink?

lefen
September 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Hay guys, I hope this is the right area of the forum to ask this.

Basically, I've never had to replace a processor fan and heatsink before, so I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

The fan makes horrible grinding noises, so it definitely needs replacing. So I thought I'd replace with a whole new cooling fan/block.

I have no idea about the nature of the thermal compound that was used so I'm a bit worried about damaging my processor (Intel P4, socket 478 ) if the compound has set. So I'm wondering how to go about this job without damaging my processor. Also, I tried Googling for an answer, but I couldn't find a decent "How To" on this subject - does anyone know of one?

I suppose I could just replace the fan and keep the heatsink, but I've been drooling over some of the sexy new blocks that are far superior to the one I have right now :>

Thanks for the help (^.^)

LaRoza
September 20th, 2007, 02:44 PM
They usually comes with instructions, and may even have the the thermal compound already applied.

(Your fan should be replaced, and you should not use your computer until you have a functioning fan in there.)

Replacing the fan should be easy, just be careful of ESD.

Kowalski_GT-R
September 20th, 2007, 03:02 PM
just be careful removing the old one.

I once damaged the mobo circuitry trying to remove a Titan heatsink/fan with a spanner......

just go to You Tube and search for "building a PC", lots of useful Vids.

hope this helps, ciao,

Andre

mips
September 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I have no idea about the nature of the thermal compound that was used so I'm a bit worried about damaging my processor (Intel P4, socket 478 ) if the compound has set.

I have found that the compound is softer when it is still hot, when it cools down it's like dry clay. So I remove mine while the cpu/heatsink is still hot.

slimdog360
September 20th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I have found that the compound is softer when it is still hot, when it cools down it's like dry clay. So I remove mine while the cpu/heatsink is still hot.

yep I agree with mips, set fire to the CPU and the compound will come off quicker.

LaRoza
September 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM
yep I agree with mips, set fire to the CPU and the compound will come off quicker.

I think "warm" would be a better word.

stalker145
September 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Replacing the fan should be easy, just be careful of ESD.

I've never found ESD to be that much of an issue. I repair/replace components down to the microminiature level on circuit cards on a daily basis and have for the last 9 years... maybe it's that injection that the military gave me to remove all static-conducting properties from my body...

But seriously, just stay off the carpet, unplug your case from all connections (power, LAN, etc), and make sure to grab on to the power supply (to ground yourself out) before tinkering around inside your box.

You could always let it cool off and grab the hammer and chisel :lolflag:

LaRoza
September 20th, 2007, 04:12 PM
ESD is an issue, and humans need 3000 volts to feel it (amps matter, for damage). So a small shock to us, is about 3000 volts. A computer, however, uses only 5 volts. One can easily damage CPU's, and DIMMs without realizing it. The damage usually isn't "severe" enough to cause the device to fail completely, but after a while, after repeated ESD, it will. In the meantime, the device could do anything, and degrade with time.

An electrostatic wrist strap ("Geek bracelet") is a good thing to get, they are usually cheap, but save your hardware.

mips
September 20th, 2007, 04:22 PM
ESD is an issue, and humans need 3000 volts to feel it (amps matter, for damage). So a small shock to us, is about 3000 volts. A computer, however, uses only 5 volts. One can easily damage CPU's, and DIMMs without realizing it. The damage usually isn't "severe" enough to cause the device to fail completely, but after a while, after repeated ESD, it will. In the meantime, the device could do anything, and degrade with time.

An electrostatic wrist strap ("Geek bracelet") is a good thing to get, they are usually cheap, but save your hardware.

My experience with ESD is this, if you live in an area with high humidity then I would not bother with a esd strap. Areas with low humity or dry air I would use a ESD strap as I have shocked myself a few times which is annoying.

LaRoza
September 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM
My experience with ESD is this, if you live in an area with high humidity then I would not bother with a esd strap. Areas with low humity or dry air I would use a ESD strap as I have shocked myself a few times which is annoying.

Probably true, but the weather where I live changes, it can be very hot, or very cold with various types of weather, so I find it hard to imagine a place where the weather stayed the same. :D Probably does make it easier though.

stalker145
September 20th, 2007, 04:33 PM

I don't disagree that static discharge can be a problem. I'm merely giving my experience with many more sensitive items than the typical CPU/RAM module. Static is the enemy, which is why I also gave a layman's way of equalizing charges before doing anything.

Spot on. Same with the fact that a piece of notebook paper has a heinously high concentration of electrons on its surface... never set anything remotely ESD sensitive on paper.

mips
September 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM
... so I find it hard to imagine a place where the weather stayed the same. :D Probably does make it easier though.

Come live where I live, constant humidity ;) In winter there is less humidity but still no need for a ESD strap unless maybe your are indoors in a airconditioned environment. And I've worked on electronic equipment costing the same as a car or a house :)

I suspect conditions will be similair in Florida, southern Texas, Coastal Asia etc

LaRoza
September 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Come live where I live, constant humidity ;) In winter there is less humidity but still no need for a ESD strap unless maybe your are indoors in a airconditioned environment. And I've worked on electronic equipment costing the same as a car or a house :)

I suspect conditions will be similair in Florida, southern Texas, Coastal Asia etc

I used to live in Texas, but that was a while ago, I am used to here.

Here, temperatures range from +100 degrees Fahrenheit (+37 centigrade) to -10 (-23 centigrade) degrees, but those are extreme temperatures. It can be very dry or very humid. Recently, the weather has been weird, but nice.

fenian
September 21st, 2007, 01:50 AM
You will need to clean the old thermal grease off the processor before you attach the new heatsink/fan.I use isopropyl alcohol and a foam swab (q-tip with foam tip instead of cotton) to clean electonic parts.