PDA

View Full Version : I Like to Type or: How I Came to Love the CLI

suupaabaka
September 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I installed Ubuntu oh, about a month ago, with the intention to replace Windows once and for all. It's done that admirably.

However, there has been a disturbing development.

I find myself opening up a terminal and typing in random commands just for the fun of it. I use various apt-get update at random, "just because". I use the CLI to open files because it feels better to use tab-complete and wildcards than mouse clicking. I open up programs with "<command> & disown", even though it'd be far simpler to expend a single click of a mouse button on an icon in the launcher.

Is this a contagion? Has anyone out there experienced such anomalous behaviour? Do you share my plight?!

(Ubuntu will probably prove extremely detrimental to my performance at university)

dscherry
September 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Think about it...
Anything you 'click' had to be programmed, so as long as you want to do whatever the programmer intended, the mouse is incredibly efficient.

But if you want to do something that involves combinations that weren't programmed for, then the CLI gives you a shot at it.

Wait 'til you start scripting! And be ever so cautious around sed, awk, grep, etc. if you're susceptible to CLI addictions ;-)

ahhhh, feel the power!

Dan