PDA

View Full Version : Does it have a copy right???

hockey97
September 20th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Hi I just wanted to know if anyone heard of Whateverlife.com.

some 17 year old girl made it, and I searched the U.S copyright dpartment.

for the records of the copyright of Whateverlife.com and could not find it.

I just want to know legal stuff, can you just slap a Copyright logo on your website when you have not really copyright it, but yet you made the site yourself??

and also How do you go about's registering your own business name.

Whateverlife.com was made by a 17 year old girl and is now a millionare

she makes layouts for myspace, well for user's that use myspace.

but the thing I was doing searches and stuff to find an tax id or somthing cant find one.

she claims her company name is Whateverlife, Inc

I am just curious, on how this girl could make millions, and yet I havent heard if she registered her companies name or has a tax id.

does anyone know??

her site is Whateverlife.com
see it if you haven't.

I am just surprised becuse I have been wroking on my own website and also looking into how to register a business name.
trying to make a site in a legal way.

any thought's ideas on this subject??

lisati
September 20th, 2007, 05:28 AM
I'm not an expert on international copyright law, but......
Just 'coz something doesn't show up as registered for copyright, it doesn't mean that it isn't. In some circumstances, there's an "assumed" copyright once something is published. It's probably best to play it safe, particularly if details are sketchy.

reyfer
September 20th, 2007, 05:47 AM
There is no need to "register" your copyright. The moment you create something and publish it, you have copyright over it:

Under the Berne Convention, copyrights for creative works do not have to be asserted or declared, as they are automatically in force at creation: an author need not "register" or "apply for" a copyright in countries adhering to the Berne Convention. As soon as a work is "fixed", that is, written or recorded on some physical medium, its author is automatically entitled to all copyrights in the work, and to any derivative works unless and until the author explicitly disclaims them, or until the copyright expires. The Berne Convention also resulted in foreign authors being treated equivalently to domestic authors, in any country signed onto the Convention.

In the United States, copyright has been made automatic (in the style of the Berne Convention) since March 1, 1989, which has had the effect of making it appear to be more like a property right. Thus, as with some forms of personal property, a copyright need not be granted or obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape or a letter), the copyright holder is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

hockey97
September 20th, 2007, 05:13 PM
oh, I see, well What I was told you had to registere with the U.S Department, for your copyrights otherwise it's not protected by law.

So if I made my own website I should be able to slab a copyright logo wiithout registering at the U.S department for copyrights???

well I also didn't see her issuing a id tax for her business.

but I found out that she made the site like a week ago, and she is making millions off the google ad's, but the law state's that you have 6 month's to register for a business ID tax after your first revenue.
well like once they got a first money transation.

but right now that girl is going to Ny, on some tv show talking about her site.

she would be the youngest riches girl in America the local news said.

and she started in my state, Michigan.

I have been working on my website, but what slowed me down was I was looking for info on getting a business tax id and also registering my business name.

But I never knew that you can just slab on a copyright logo I thought that logo belongs to U.S copyright department.

Also if I wanted to use let's say a famouse song made by some artist,
and want to use it in my website or use it in my business promotions,

how would I find who own's the copyrights??
and how to do it so I can legally use that song in my ad's ect.

I am also in college, taking accounting, and computers ect,
so I don't have much time working on the website ever since summer.

LaRoza
September 20th, 2007, 05:22 PM
That has to be the worst homepage I have ever seen! It violates almost every rule of usability, and is completely garbage.

The MySpace crowd (in general) is quite...never mind, I already made a thread on it a while ago.

argie
September 20th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I...I don't think you should buy layouts from this person. Just...a feeling.

LaRoza
September 20th, 2007, 05:29 PM
I...I don't think you should buy layouts from this person. Just...a feeling.

"Its more than a feeling"

RJARRRPCGP
September 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM
It appears that it don't require registration like patents do.

Steveway
September 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Everything you write or draw or compose, build... is under your copyright.
You don't even need to put a copyright logo somewhere, it is under your copyright.

hockey97
September 20th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I don't plan on buying layouts from her, lol I can make my own I know php and html ect.

I just was surprised hearing that a 17 year old girl made millions in like a week, I mean for me I didn't realize that making millions would be that easy since you have to pay taxes and also business expenses.
ect

she own's 7 apple computers.

I just wanted to see what you guy's think of this.

I saw it last night on our local news, the the story names was called look out bill gates.

lol...

50words
September 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
As for forming a business entity, just look up your state's Secretary of State. Usually registering an LLC (typical for small businesses) is a pretty simple matter. This is an area, though, where it is good to consult with an attorney to make sure your business type meets your needs, and you get the appropriate tax forms filled out. It isn't that expensive, and well worth the money to make sure you are actually getting the liability limitations you think you are.

jgrabham
September 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I had to do a report on "legislation of ICT". You dont need to register anything for it to be copyrighted, just so long as you can prove you wrote/drew/designed/whatever it is.

hockey97
September 20th, 2007, 09:31 PM
well I am planning to register my business name and also get an irs tax id becuse I looked at wholesellers and legit ones ask for a business name and tax id.

so that's why I was kinda interested in this news becuse I can't fully imagine someone within weeks make millions, becuse of lot's of laws you would need to know or at least look out for ect.

I just posted this to find some answers to my questions which I did got my answers thanks.

but mostly posted this to see what you guy's think of the person website and also think of how a 17 year old girl could make millions within weeks making simple stuff, while people like me , we are going to college and trying to learn business and business laws and knowing alot about computers we can't do the same...lol

but mainly thought people should hear the news this news might get all the way up to cnn I don't know .

eljoeb
September 20th, 2007, 10:12 PM
but mostly posted this to see what you guy's think of the person website and also think of how a 17 year old girl could make millions within weeks making simple stuff, while people like me , we are going to college and trying to learn business and business laws and knowing alot about computers we can't do the same...lol

Good for her. Some here may not think what she did is any good, but that isn't what you need to do to make money. You need to supply something people want. That takes a unique person to be able to do that.

Selling a good product and selling a product well are two different things. Doing both is skippy, but I'll take the latter if I could only have one.

Nano Geek
September 20th, 2007, 10:37 PM
It's so girlie!
It burns ussss, Precious! :)

hockey97
September 21st, 2007, 05:42 PM
ya I agree it's so girly lol.

now some roomers, are going around saying that myspace might sue,
the only reason she made millions was that she used google ad's thingy, and promoted her site on myspace, illegally, like she spammed people with message's to go and check her site out.

lol, I would lmao, if this is true, lol

well I am working on my site, trying to make somthing simular to myspace, but mainly for gamers, and I will make games 3d games and have it on the site, and plan to do some contest where you have to play my games which had multi-player meaning networking games, some might be fighting games and contest would to beat the heck out of each other.

my aim is for the gamers.

I hope it get's popular....

Obor
September 21st, 2007, 06:12 PM
There is a huge difference between copyright, patent and a trademark. Once you look into what each one of those means/represents it will make much more sense, IMO.