PDA

View Full Version : Advice for fileserver case needed

tom-ubuntu
August 9th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Hi guys

Hope this is the right forum for this:

I am intending to replace my current fileserver with a new one. Here are the requirements:

- silent (the old one was way too loud, do not need redundant powersupply
- space for 9 disks (SATA) und 1 cd/dvd-drive

As this is for private purpose only, it shouldn't be any very expensive thing. I am planning to add a raid5 with 8 disks, 1 disk for the OS and a dvd-drive, that's it. As this server is staying in my office, it should be as silent as possible. the current one is way too loud. specially the 2 powersupplies. But one is enough, this is no critical environment where I loose money when it is down ;)

Any advices? Looking forward to your replies :)

WildTangent
August 11th, 2005, 08:04 PM
the antec sonata, besides looking awesome is very quiet, has a good antec PSU, and has space for many hard drives, that are even mounted on rubber buffers to eliminate vibration noise

EDIT: only has 4 HDD bays, so youll have to stuff some in the 5 1/4 inch bays, and the floppy bay :P

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15138

-Wild

tom-ubuntu
August 14th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Cheers, WildTangent, will put it on my list. If you find another nice case for 8 disks, just let me know :)

bjweeks
August 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM
The Antec P180 has room for 8 HDD and is also silent but cost a lot more and does not have a psu. This proves that Antec it the best! :razz:

Slugger
August 14th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Yep Antec is the best cant wait to build my own computer

tom-ubuntu
August 14th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Just browsed the Antec webpage. They have really great cases. Are they really that quite as the claim to be?

The P180 looks nice, price is ok. But together wie the Neopower 480 it is getting almost twice as expensive. But if it is really quite, it is definitally worth it.

Thanks for all the links!

WildTangent
August 18th, 2005, 05:08 AM
yes, most of them are very quiet. and they got real big ones too :P

-Wild

ben72
August 29th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I bought an antec sonata and thought it would be really quiet. But I don't think it is that quiet.. But maybe you need the extra noise isolation kit for it.. My old Fujitsu Ergo Pro is much more quiet! I can't hear it unless I'm 10 cm from it! :)

Please let us know what you got in the end. I'm always looking for quiet not too expensive cases..

Just browsed the Antec webpage. They have really great cases. Are they really that quite as the claim to be?

The P180 looks nice, price is ok. But together wie the Neopower 480 it is getting almost twice as expensive. But if it is really quite, it is definitally worth it.

Thanks for all the links!

bjweeks
September 1st, 2005, 07:44 PM
Yes, I found that the Sonata is not a quite as they make it seem but I have a Antec Super Lanboy and a Neopower 480 and its a lot more quite than my Sonata.

xmastree
September 3rd, 2005, 04:32 AM
Who needs a case? (http://www.bordergatewayprotocol.net/jon/media/images/cheapo_hdd_rack.jpg) :razz:

bjweeks
September 3rd, 2005, 06:46 AM
LOL. Thats great. :smile: