PDA

View Full Version : Share Your Computer Virus stories!

Bungo Pony
September 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM
In light of the re-ocurrance of the Stoned virus, I think it would be cool to share some computer virus infection stories.

Stoned (not sure which variant) was the first virus that I got infected with. It was a pretty popular virus, since I got re-infected with it numerous times when bringing floppies home from school and borrowing from friends. I remember running Microsoft Anti-virus and scanning all my floppies to try and get rid of it. Remember when Microsoft made Anti-virus software? :)

I also remember very well when the Loveletter worm hit pretty much all of the computers at work. Hey, my co-worker sent me a love letter! It had to be funny! Ooops, new mail is arriving in droves. NEAT! Lets click on it again! (It didn't originally occur to me that it was a virus - I thought it was just a dumb joke script or something). Lots of people at work clicked on it, and my inbox was flooded with loveletters. Then my computer froze. Eventually, I discovered all my .jpgs were changed to loveletters. After that incident, internet virus hoaxes were flooding my inbox.

iPower
September 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM
i've never infected my computers with viruses (=

p_quarles
September 19th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I've only encountered one Windows virus (a couple DOS ones before that). I can't remember what it was called, but it was nasty. This was like '99 or something, when the prevalence of faking e-mail addresses to distribute viruses was exploding.

So, I got a file called "metallica.wma" from a friend, and opened it. My computer started slowing down, and then I discovered I couldn't access any of the major virus definition websites/databases.

Solution: I got on the phone with my dad, had him look up the characteristics of this virus, and then he downloaded a stinger-type app and e-mailed it to me.

I've been a lot more careful since then. :)

potrick
September 19th, 2007, 09:47 PM
It's really weird remembering viruses. Hasn't really been much I've thought of since 2005, when I made the switch. Haven't run into a Linux virus yet.

lisati
September 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM
The first virus I encountered was on an MS-DOS machine back in the 1980s, and it was fixed with software from Victoria University (Wellington, NZ)

More recently I was checking out an antivirus product that I hadn't heard of before, and sadly chose an infected email that had a virus that wan't detected to test it with. After much muttering and cussing when I finally realised that some damage had been done, along with a full system install, I went back to AVG free on that machine, which promptly detected several copies of the virus (can't remember which one) on my backup HD as well. Fortunately no major data was permanently lost, but it was a big time waster figuring out what was going on.

n3tfury
September 19th, 2007, 10:25 PM
i've had one virus in the last 5 years on my windows installs which was caught by AVG in real-time. other than that, i've worked with friends' windows boxes to rid them of stuff. really though, to get viruses even FAIRLY often, at least one of the following apply:

1) you keep on clicking "remind me later" when the antivirus trial subscription runs out.

2) you visit shady sites and click on everything.

3) you have moronic friends that have the same moronic habits as you and you accept attachments in email from them.

4) you use limewire or an equivalent (therefore you deserve to be infected)

it's pretty simple when you use common sense while navigating the nets.

derekr44
September 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM
We had a user back in 2002 that accessed personal email and introduced the Klez virus to our network. We had mass breakout in a matter of minutes and our network scanner was getting hit about 300 times a minute with the virus spreading itself.

That was a nasty time.

nonewmsgs
September 19th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Morris Worm J/K

i had this one jpeg virus tseveral years ago hat was a pain, because even when i told my virus scanner to get it, it didn't see it. after that i avoided 100k+ jpegs heavily on kazaa.

i also got a sub7 though an ICQ vulnurability. no major damage, but he deleted some tv scripts i had and looped a weird .wav.

BLTicklemonster
September 20th, 2007, 06:33 AM
I work on other people's computers, and here's my favorite screen cap of all time:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3004/viralscourgelu5.th.png (http://img179.imageshack.us/my.php?image=viralscourgelu5.png)

Yes, 25171, and it was still running. It ended up with 42000+ when it was done, and I was so giddy, I forgot to get a screen cap!

Needless to say, the registry was bonked, so I ended up reinstalling Windows Virus Magnet XP on it.

n3tfury
September 20th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Needless to say, the registry was bonked, so I ended up reinstalling Windows Virus Magnet XP on it.

don't blame the OS because your friend is a retard.

Depressed Man
September 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Back in pre-2000 I accidently installed a trojan from a "game admin" and got my AlienAA game account stolen. That's about it.

BLTicklemonster
September 20th, 2007, 03:35 PM
don't blame the OS because your friend is a retard.

I wasn't blaming either my friend (his mother in law actually) or windows. The blame lies entirely with the filth that makes the viruses. And there's nothing retarded about thinking that using a computer on the internet is safe when you're a 70 something year old lady who only wants to browse the internet and chat online with family and send/receive emails. A prime candidate for linux, yes, but the poor deary would be lost if the exact buttons weren't in the exact place and looked exactly the same. I guess we all know the type. I doubt setting it up to look identical using the same icons and all would have worked on her. And heaven forbid she'd get an updated kernel and be locked out of X (which doesn't happen with the newest gutsy upgrade).

n3tfury
September 20th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I wasn't blaming either my friend (his mother in law actually) or windows.

so I ended up reinstalling Windows Virus Magnet XP on it.

ok then.

lefen
September 20th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I remember first encountering malware using IE6 under Windows XP because I ended up with the CoolWWW Search toolbar without installing it :> That was a fun day. Then I actually started scanning with SpyBot S&D and was shocked at the amount of stuff hiding in my system!

It was about that time that the Mozilla browser and also this new thing called Firefox were being discussed fairly regularly on Slashdot. I switched to the Mozilla suite and used it until v1.5 I think. Really made me appriciate the difference between using a secure browser and IE6, because I never encountered another malware problem again :>

Almost a shame, because I became very knowledgable about manually removing all sorts of viruses from Windows boxes. It was almost like going hunting! Now I use the Linux and I have to find my fun elsewhere ;)

kteagan84
September 20th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I don't remember the name of the virus or how it got on the computer, but one dreary day in 2000, I started up my Windows 98 computer and got a black DOS-prompt screen with a bunch of scrolling text saying

10,,000 cigarretes for free!!

buy cheap cigaretts cigs.com

or something like that (misspelled word intentional, that's what it looked like).

Needless to say we could never get Windows back up and running and gave up anyway because my Dad had just bought a new computer.

Later, I booted the old computer up and installed Fedora Core 4 and it worked like a charm. It was my first experience with Linux and I never had any problems after that!

BLTicklemonster
September 20th, 2007, 05:11 PM
ok then.
You're confused. Calling a spade a spade isn't blaming it for the holes in the ground.

argie
September 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM
We used to get lots of viruses when we were kids. By we, I mean my brother and I. Hell, we used to get conned too. I once bought a floppy for Aladdin (the game) and it turned out to be the trial.

Anyway, the most memorable virus (I think) I had was one which wouldn't let Windows start (the GUI) and made the windows directory sort of recurse to itself, so I'd have the Windows folder as one of the folders inside the Windows folder. The tech had a funny time with that.

Back in those days we used to think that viruses were part of the game, sort of like slipped chains are part of cycling.

23meg
September 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Any Amiga users who remember the so called "Saddam" virus that affected disk-validator? It was a nightmare. I lost three floppies full of work to it, and never used soft reset for a long time until I was sure all my volumes were free of it.

RJARRRPCGP
September 20th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Back in 2003, I gotten the W32.Pinfi virus. That virus is dangerous!

The virus will spread to at least around 200 files pronto!

The symptoms were the following:

Installers were corrupted for no apparent reason.

After I downloaded a SoundBlaster Audio PCI driver package from Creative's web site, the SoundBlaster Audio PCI driver installer gave me an error message about it being corrupted!

Then after I installed Norton AntiVirus, it found at least around 200 files infected!

Later in 2003: (in the autumn)

I had 56k with TDS for the ISP.
After dialing to the internet, I left the house to go somewhere, likely an eatout. When I came back, I saw that the PC was rebooted and then when searching of the Windows directories, probably the Windows\System32 directory, I saw "msblast.exe".

This was just because I didn't have a firewall installed! You can get that virus just as easily with dialup!

Biggus
September 20th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Only once, using Win XP, got it from the Limewire (Gnutella or whatever it is called) network.

I downloaded a file called spyware.exe, and executed it. I was actually looking for anti-spyware software, and figured that the sharer had simply mislabelled it. I fully deserved it.

the_darkside_986
September 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Only once, using Win XP, got it from the Limewire (Gnutella or whatever it is called) network.

I downloaded a file called spyware.exe, and executed it. I was actually looking for anti-spyware software, and figured that the sharer had simply mislabelled it. I fully deserved it.
Sorry but, that is just funny. "spyware.exe" lmfao.

Anybody ever see those small .mov files that appear in the search results for no apparent reason? I wonder how many people actually click those. It is obviously some kind of quicktime exploit (that software is always full of security holes) but I wonder what would happen if someone tried to run it in Linux. or even better, run it in Quicktime using Wine. I'd like to see the debug output of that :P

I like gtk-gnutella and mutella but Limewire sucks and has too many security problems.

On topic: I can't remember how many times I had trouble on my old PC but my dad used to get infected all the time in Windows XP before I patched it with WinXP SP2 and IE7.

Bungo Pony
September 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Before my workplace started stripping .exe files out of our emails and implemented a spam filter, I was building up a nice collection. Here's what's on the floppy:

Scanning A:
Scanning boot sector of drive A:
A:\WORK.SCR Infection: W32/Klez.H@mm
A:\WWWMYP~1.COM Infection: W32/Myparty.A@mm
A:\GONE.SCR Infection: W32/Goner.A@mm
A:\CHILD.COM Infection: W32/Magistr.32768@mm
A:\CHAPTE~1.PIF Infection: W32/Sircam.worm@mm
A:\PHMPG~1.EXE Infection: W32/Klez.E@mm
A:\LEVEDIT.EXE Infection: PS-MPC.490
A:\GUYWPD~1.EXE Infection: W32/Bugbear.A@mm
A:\LOVE.VBS Infection: VBS/LoveLetter
A:\DOCUME~1.PIF Infection: W32/Sobig.A@mm
A:\APPLIC~1.PI Infection: W32/Sobig.B@mm
A:\WHENYO~1.SCR Infection: W32/Bugbear.B@mm (corrupted)
A:\LOCATION.PIF Infection: W32/Netsky.B@mm
A:\MESSAGE.PIF Infection: W32/Bagle.J@mm
A:\YOUR_W~1.PIF Infection: W32/Netsky.D@mm
A:\DETAILS.PIF Infection: W32/Sobig.E@mm
A:\MESSAGE.HTM Infection: W32/Mimail.A@mm
A:\ME_1_H~1.SCR Infection: W32/Netsky.C@mm
A:\DOCUME~1.EXE Infection: W32/Netsky.P@mm
A:\BILLTX~1.EXE Infection: W32/Netsky.Z@mm
A:\XXDAFA~1.PIF Infection: W32/Netsky.X@mm
A:\TEXTDO~1.PIF Infection: W32/Sober.F@mm
A:\BELT.EXE is a security risk named W32/Stubby.A
A:\X.EXE Infection: W32/Sillydl.GA

Results of virus scanning:

Files: 26
MBRs: 0
Boot sectors: 1
Objects scanned: 27
Infected: 23
Suspicious: 1

p_quarles
September 20th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I completely forgot to mention my experience with viruses on other people's computers.

Earlier this year I had a temporary position as a general techie at a university academic department. Historians, as a group, aren't exactly brilliant with computer security. Most of the virus cases I dealt with involved their home computers, though, so I talked them through scanning and removing and never got to see which specific viruses were there.

The best part of this experience, though, involved a keylogger (WinAntiVirPro, or something to that effect) that was on the system I was using. In other words, the computer belonging to the "techie" I was temping for. It was completely immune to normal removal methods, so I had to hunt down a tool specifically designed to remove that virus.

Lesson: "IT professional" really means very little.

RebounD11
September 20th, 2007, 06:49 PM
So many virus infections throughout my history with Windows... Yet the last one must be the mother of all virus infections; it's the one that made me switch to Linux permanently. It was last year, on the college campus...

I still don't know what the virus was called... since no antivirus detected it, but you know sth is wrong when you have a autorun.inf and Recycler.txt file in every directory on your harddrive and after failing in the attempts to delete them you and up having a system than won't boot Windows at all, even after a fresh reinstall on a freshly formatted partition.

However the not-booting part happened only on computers that had RAID capability. Don't know why... but some of the computers that aren't RAID capable and therefore still can boot Windows are still infected, and continue spreading the virus throughout the campus and most owners don't know or don't care.

Once school restarts in October, I might send you guys a copy of the files, because I know where to get them from ;) - joking -

cstudent
September 20th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Recently we got a letter at work from Time Warner stating that they had received complaints of spam emails originating from our ip address. We have a small network of computers and I'm the one who gets the joy of managing things. After talking with Time Warner about the letter, I went about scanning the network computers for viruses and spyware. After checking every computer and coming up with nothing I was at a loss. Then one of the guys that works in the warehouse asks me if I checked so-and-so's computer. I said so-and-so doesn't have a computer. He says, yes he does. I go down into the warehouse and back in the corner sits an old desktop. Apparently so-and-so found an unused network cable protruding from the wall and decided to hook up his own computer. Needless to say, after starting a virus scan on it, it became quickly apparent that I had my culprit. I unhooked the network cable and after getting back to my own station I blocked the mac address of his computer just to make sure that he couldn't cause anymore trouble. So-and-so is still waiting for me to fix his computer and I can guarantee he'll be waiting a long time to come.

MasterRoshi
September 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
ahaha i believe it was 10 years ago...when i was seven years old. we used outlook...but barely. my family never opened it..so i decided being "a know it all" about technology; and pressed select all, then enter. i left my computer on all night.

the next day my parents couldnt get it to work and i didnt know wtf to do. they took it to the repair store, and i set a record for the store: apparently it was somewhere in the millions: crap of all kind. ahhh good times. a 40 gig hard drive filled to the brim with spyware, viruses, and all sorts of other goodies. apparently one of my "hacker" friends would send me **** too to test his stuff. lucky me. haha

i kinda miss being an innocent n00b =)

BuffaloX
September 20th, 2007, 07:17 PM
About 6 months ago my mom got Linux, because she had got a Virus.

I have no idea how she got it. She used an up to date virus scanner.
She never downloads programs of any kind.

She was so annoyed about it she asked me to install Linux and remove Windows.

FurryNemesis
September 20th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Me, 14 years old: Ooh, internet.
Parents: Are you sure that's safe? Why are you playing games on the computer?
Me: 's ok, it's a trusted network.
Parents: Grumble.
Parents: Click click download email open spam hey wtf the computer's gone crazy... FURRY! You borked the computer! !Banned!
Me: We have a virus...
Parents: No, we don't, you broke it...
Me: Do we have antivirus?
Parents: Erm...
Me: Do we have a firewall?
Parents: ???
Me: Get firewall software. Get antivirus.
Parents: Ok, but we still think it's you...
Me: Scans computer. 25 virii found. "See? SEE? Told you so!"

And that is why I am currently sysadmin in my home and won't let anyone connect to the network without my say so...

camarojones
September 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I think the worst one I had is what made me become a *nix user...

2 years ago, wife and I were going on a 2 week vacation before we moved. COmputer was having problems so I wiped it and reloaded XP. Never got around to updating it because out DSL was off at the time.

What got me was after we returned 2 weeks later. The computer had not been connected to the internet since before I reloaded Windows, so there was no way for it to get a virus. However, that day we turned it on it started acting bonky. Installed my virus scanner from a disk (known to be free of viruses) and it found about a hunderd of them...FROM A FRESH WINDOWS INSTALL!!. What the hell??!

Later that day, I loaded it with Linux (cant remember the distro) and went and bought an ibook G4 (to help us keep our finances straight during the move across country.) Was extremely new to Linux, but had used Apples before, so it was not a big change.

I have since then, kept an extremely tight collar on my Windows installations. NO browsing the normal ring unless i'm on our Mac or Ubuntu box, and if it were easier to stay away from Windows I would, however there are a couple of Work programs and games that require Windows, so Im not fully out yet, but closing in on it quickly.

As soon as Wine can do it all (or 99% of it) I should finally be away from viruses.

sedition
September 21st, 2007, 03:38 AM
Gotta say, my favorite virus moment was when I walked into a Cisco building for a contract. Pulled out my laptop, plugged into the network and started getting HAMMERED with virus warnings and port scans. All I could think of was those commercials they were playing at the time about how secure Cisco networks were.

Lesson: a fortress isn't secure if you leave the drawbridge wide open...

n3tfury
September 21st, 2007, 03:53 AM
IInstalled my virus scanner from a disk (known to be free of viruses) and it found about a hunderd of them...FROM A FRESH WINDOWS INSTALL!!. What the hell??!

you're either full of it, or your copy of XP was pirated. sorry, but a legitimate copy of XP doesn't ship with viruses.

Boomy
September 21st, 2007, 04:10 AM
I met this chick online and she gave me gonhorrea.

p_quarles
September 21st, 2007, 04:16 AM
I met this chick online and she gave me gonhorrea.
Gonorrhea (note the spelling) is a bacterium, not a virus. Nice try.

n3tfury
September 21st, 2007, 04:29 AM
still pretty funny

multifaceted
September 21st, 2007, 05:23 AM
I helped out a friend, his machine was running very slow and would get pop-ups constantly as well as bogus "attention" icons in the system tray. I used ClamWin to scan the hard disk and well, 4 -1/2 hours later we ended up with about 28,000 or so viruses, Trojans and a plethora of adware/spyware.

I asked him if he ran antivirus software and scanned his system regularly. He replied:

"Yes, about once a week."

I then asked him, when was the last time you updated your virus definitions?

"Virus what?... what is that?"

Turned out that the antivirus software wasn't even valid. he was running two seperate versions of outdated antivirus trailware!

I was shocked that the computer was able to still function for so long... since 2003!

hidey
September 21st, 2007, 08:14 AM
Ah, good times! I remember my second computer ever on which I'd been using the internet without any form of protection for some years (this was a time before firewalls or at least a time before anyone was really talking about them). I didn't really have any major problems with the comp, but I decided it was better to be safe than sorry and I installed me an anti-virus software. Now the funny thing was that that's when the problems started occurring. My theory is that the comp was in a weird balance filled with viruses going about their daily life, not bothering anyone, it was only when "the man" decided to interfere in their lives that they got mad. :lolflag:

On a newer comp I had a really nasty one (I think it was the Tilebot). It slowed the computer to a crawl, which made it a lotta fun to try and find a solution. I basically tried everything. Just deleting the file, rebooting to safe mode, scanning with different virus software (which took forever and came up with nothing), etc. Then I finally found this one site that had a really simple executable (called tilbtgui), I ran it, pushed one button and the whole thing was over in less than a minute.

Hallvor
September 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM
Just yesterday I got a message on MSN from my nephew, reading something like: "Found this online. Why didn`t you tell me? http://<photobucketsomething> is that you?" So i sent him a message saying that he`s got a virus, and that he`d better scan his computer. (He has a laptop with Vista, btw.) He found a virus and deleted it. Apparently, he got the same message from one of his contacts, and clicked it without knowing what it was. He told me that his MSN crashed and went offline immediately after that, but unfortunately his laptop sent the same message to all of his MSN contacts as well. Had to tell him to be very careful and not click on everything - especially if he gets an English message from a Norwegian contact...

runemaste644
September 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
My first virus on my laptop was backdoor.sdbot. Luckily Norton picked it up pretty quickly and i was unaffected. In Linux there are like 16 viruses but only one successfully got into a system... one time...

bruce89
September 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
This is a Ubuntu forum, why is there a virus thread?

FurryNemesis
September 22nd, 2007, 11:08 AM
Because it pays to be slightly paranoid and to be constantly reminded that the internet is an occasionally dangerous place.

I've had one virus warning on here with ClamAV, but I know it's a false positive on a codec from the repos.

Even so, it bothers me.

n3tfury
September 22nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
This is a Ubuntu forum, why is there a virus thread?

The water cooler of UbuntuForums, a place to discuss pretty much anything (within reason)

^^

3rdalbum
September 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
I've had exactly one virus - or rather, my father had a virus. He put a floppy disk into his Mac and Norton Antivirus scanned it automatically, found the virus and removed it. Boring!

Once I dreamed that my Linux box had a virus, so I decided to run a virus scan on the Linux and Windows partitions. Thankfully, all I got was a false positive from a Dreamweaver behaviour library (ClamAV identified it as a harmless Javascript annoyance).

distroman
September 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
I once opened a mail with a subseven not very good thinking luckily zonealarm blocked it but it was ages ago. Don’t remember the last time I had a virus maybe that’s just because I am hardly ever surfing in windows.

However not to long ago I removed the following from someone else’s computer.
Class Adware: Vundo Variant, Think-Adz.
Class Trojan: Net-Winload/CP, Net-fake.YTB, Downloader-Gen, Rootkit-TnCore.
I know you’re all thinking porn but it’s not, this is what happens if you hand over copy of windows to kids.

One of those things removed “log off”, “turn off computer” and “run” kind of funny. ;)

Haruhara
September 22nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
I didn't have too many problems with XP. About two weeks after I first bought my computer, the darn thing wouldn't boot up properly. I reinstalled the system and lived happily with it for two years. Of course I was very religious in checking out what was on my system and why.

Then my roommate moved in.

She had a laptop, so I let her use my compy for watching movies. Being an avid fan of anime, I had every necessary codec I'd ever encountered. It was around midnight, while I was fast asleep, that she came across a file that insisted "This file cannot be played by your system. Download 3wplayer."

AVG free didn't catch it. The spyware it came with was stupid enough to show up in the windows "Add/Remove programs" thingummy, so that was a quick fix. But the trogan wasn't detected by AVG free, I ended up running Kapersky (or something like) that to find it. The antivirus software couldn't "heal" the virus, so I happily clicked "delete" on all the files it had infected.

My bad. The last file to be deleted was the mouse and keyboard drivers.

I've been running Linux ever since. I comfort myself with the fact that my new roommate isn't capable of using my system, let alone messing it up. Ubuntu has been a fun learning experience with great community support. Thank you, Ubuntu!

Mr.Auer
September 22nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
My first virus was on Atari ST..It was called Ghost and spread from floppy to floppy when swapping disks. All it did was switch the direction of mouse movement after a certain time..So when you tried to move the cursor up, it went down, move it down and up it went :) It had spread to maybe 15 disks before I noticed it. Luckily there was a virus removal tool for ST and it easily removed the virus from all infected disks without doing any harm to the data.

The only other time has been on XP, and that was a worm rather than a virus...The infamous Blaster worm. Both times I got that one was because i FORGOT to unplug the ethernet cable when reinstalling windows :D . The first time the cable had been plugged in for maybe two minutes when I remembered to quickly yank it out - but too late! msblast.exe was already up to no good.
Second time was similar, forgot the cable connected..Of course it was easy to remove if you were quick enough to either get the fix from net before blaster would shut down the computer, or install AV in that time.

When I was still using XP I took all the precautions I could: using Firefox or Opera, firewall and AV always, and completely removing or disabling unneeded services like printer sharing, Messenger etc. and never got any other virii.

Still, on linux i dont have to worry much. As long as you check out where you get software from and dont compile and install any malware.tar.gz:s ;)

DrMelon
August 20th, 2008, 02:17 PM
I only really ever had one really bad virus: AOL.

:KS

Chessmaster
August 20th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Has anyone ever experienced a Linux virus?

Arkaniad
January 3rd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Hi, i'm Arkaniad, better known as <insert real name here>, and i have a story to share.

*dramatic note* I was inphected with a virus ( sorry, my keboard cant type some keys, macintosh....)

It happened today, a trojan slipped by Avast! and downloaded a phake program called VirusRemover2008.

This was phollowed by pop ups, blocking oph sites related to removing it, and phinally, total death.

I then dug out thy holy grail ( ubuntu 8.10 cd!) and slid it into thy computer drive!

-end stupid public service announcment-

It was a bad virus. Just watch out iph you use windows

Kernel Sanders
January 3rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
I have never had a virus on vista or XP post SP2.

2hot6ft2
January 3rd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Naturally it was windows, xp to be specific. The usual, went to the wrong place, clicked on the wrong thing, agreed to let it install without paying attention. Next thing I knew I kept getting redirected in IE, pop ups advertising a system cleaner for guess what...the bloody thing that infected xp.

Reboot into ubuntu, (one more good reason to duel boot IF you insist on running windows) run AVG on the xp partition. Ahah, there they are, hidden in windows.

Scattered around, must have been about a dozen different ones. Since AVG wouldn't delete them but it would show me where they were. I simply browsed to them, still in ubuntu naturally and killed them all. Right click and Permanently Delete no trash can and no coming back.

Re scan with AVG, avast, and clamav until I was sure they were all dead and gone. So ubuntu and linux came to the rescue that day and now you'll be hard pressed to find me with windows running.

And that's why there's a virus thread in a linux forum.

speedwell68
January 3rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
I don't think I ever actually got infected when I ran DOS or Windows. A lot certainly got stopped by my virus protection. But I haven't even thought about a virus for nearly 3 years now.:D

My mate was round with his new Vista laptop the other day, lording it up.:D He connected it to my network and AVG began updating at the same time that Windows Update kicked it, this brought the system to a crawl. I have to say I was forced to giggle. He thinks I am a charity case that can't afford software because I use Linux.

Hyper Tails
January 3rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
I got none in Vista

I got 1 Trojan Horse in XP and Deleted it with avast and now i Got none

But Believe it or Not I got 1234 Viruses in Ubuntu!!!:mad:
HOW DID I GET THAT MANY VIRUSES!!

:cry:this sucks:cry:

handydan918
January 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
I only really ever had one really bad virus: AOL.

:KS

That's nothing.

I had every version of windows since 3.1...

Talk about a run of bad luck!

handydan918
January 3rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
I got none in Vista

I got 1 Trojan Horse in XP and Deleted it with avast and now i Got none

But Believe it or Not I got 1234 Viruses in Ubuntu!!!:mad:
HOW DID I GET THAT MANY VIRUSES!!

:cry:this sucks:cry:

OKAAAAAY.

If you will be so kind as to isolate those viruses, and put them all in a nice neat little tarball and send them to me, I will give you a dollar for every one that turns out to be a virus that will run on a Linux system.

Offer expires at 1700hrs pst 1-2-09.

I'm not holding my breath....

Arkaniad
January 3rd, 2009, 01:23 AM
OKAAAAAY.

If you will be so kind as to isolate those viruses, and put them all in a nice neat little tarball and send them to me, I will give you a dollar for every one that turns out to be a virus that will run on a Linux system.

Offer expires at 1700hrs pst 1-2-09.

I'm not holding my breath....

I reject your reality and substitute my own

1234 viruses?

thats like, 666 viruses on windows,,, hard to happen. You either have way more than that (windows)
Or way way way less ( linux and mac )

gletob
January 3rd, 2009, 01:40 AM
The first time we had anti virus software installed on our computer was back in 2004 when my mom got a call from her bank saying someone in the UK had tried to make a transaction of almost 2000 dollars with her account. So we wiped that computer clean and installed anti virus and my mom is still afraid today to put her information in the computer.

reprobus
January 3rd, 2009, 01:50 AM
Kind of off topic but I actually collect viruses, both the asm source and binaries. I like to dissect them and study them. I'm not a malicious person or anything like that its just a weird hobby I started. It's like Pokemon or something, I gotta catch em all! If anyone else is into this sorta thing then let me know and maybe we can do some trading. I have mine in a tar.gz available for download but I won't post the link, I assume it would be against the rules here so if interested send a pm I guess.

LinuxLoonNH
January 3rd, 2009, 02:15 AM
At home I have been in the M$ world since about 1987, DOS, all the flavors of *******. Under Windows XP Pro I got like two notifications of something "funny" on the desktop. AVG stopped it cold and never saw it again.
Last summer was in Montreal, QC, Canada with an XP Laptop, being 1/2 tired and 1/2 hung over from sampling Canadian's best beers, I clicked on something that got through the AVG and the Firewall. I finally just shut the laptop down and rebuilt it when I got home. No data was lost since it was just a travel laptop.
At the Middle School I work at, around 1999 - 2000 our entire network was brought down by a virus/worm (I can't remember) In addition to teaching, I was running around the building with a floppy disk and bringing up the 100+ PC's running Windows NT.
This begs the question since I've read this forum and decided to return to Linux after a three year absence. With Ubuntu 8.10, do I NEED Anti Virus and a Firewall? Mine is pretty much as is after the live install.
Just want to say this latest attempt at leaving Microsoft behind is going better. Except that I'm caught in the Microsoft Licensing issue with Sun XVM Virtual Box to run a few, very few, Microsoft Programs that I need to. Mostly personal finances. Sorry to prattle on here. :)

Hyper Tails
January 3rd, 2009, 02:41 AM
With Ubuntu 8.10, do I NEED Anti Virus and a Firewall?

YES!! You Need a anti-virus and Firewall

look how many i have which Linux Is becoming more popular and common so

Get one!

sydbat
January 3rd, 2009, 02:47 AM
YES!! You Need a anti-virus and Firewall

look how many i have which Linux Is becoming more popular and common so

Get one!No, you do not. If you found "1234 viruses" on your Ubuntu install, chances are they come from the Windows partitions you have, NOT Ubuntu.

Windows based anti-virus software is not going to catch everything while Windows is running (I know, as I ran Trend Micro's online scanner through the Live CD and found almost a hundred instances of malware on my father's computer before I installed Ubuntu for him at his request).

Please stop spreading FUD.

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 02:56 AM
Don't even get me started on my virus collection...*shudders*.Ill try to recollect as many of them as possible*Mmhmm, Winfails.*I remember one I think called the Doom Virus, and I remember trying to play WoW, and every so often a BSOD would come up, I kinda found it hilarious. I remember one of my more recent ones that magically deleted RunDll32.app, and none of my antivirus caught it...what a pity. Lets see..uh...A lot of generic viruses that are caught from Shady sites and crud like that. Spyware...Cant remember names...except for my newest one on my desktop, which Im possibly considering installing ubuntu on, OH, the name of the spyware was something called trojan.vundo or similar. And I just noticed if I make a sudden movemant with my laptop, it goes to a blue screen that blinks every so often. PM me for more virus stories, go grab some popcorn*:popcorn:*, then be amazed of my collection of virus stories*ones that I'll try to remember that haven't been stated*.

-Ntacman

BGFG
January 3rd, 2009, 03:21 AM
One time at work, I carelessly downloaded and installed a crack some proprietary software without scanning it (i justified it by telling myself i was in a hurry)
I got some bad boy that hijacked the windows virus protection( I forget it's name) and turned it into a virus factory. changed the icon in the notification area and everything.
I was with a company that sold and supported payroll software with a web front-end.
had to re-do the machine, re-install sql, IIS, bunch of customer databases, Bunch of CRM suites (i was a trainer/tester/help-desk)
Hell, it was fun :)

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 03:25 AM
I carelessly downloaded and installed a crackMmmm....piracy.
I remember another time where I Had downloaded a "game". I forgot what virus it had gotten me, but it was terrible, Deleted a lot of the most of my important docs, And some windows crap.

BGFG
January 3rd, 2009, 03:34 AM
Mmmm....piracy.
I remember another time where I Had downloaded a "game". I forgot what virus it had gotten me, but it was terrible, Deleted a lot of the most of my important docs, And some windows crap.

Exactly. thankfully i didn't lose any databases. You pay the price for mischief.

Ntacman
January 3rd, 2009, 03:39 AM
Exactly. thankfully i didn't lose any databases. You pay the price for mischief.
Unless its a clean file and you don't get caught...*wink wink nudge nudge*

Koori23
January 3rd, 2009, 03:46 AM
back before I made the switch to Linux. I wanted to emulate the commands.. ls, grep so on..

I downloaded some Win32 implementations of those commands.. One of them was a swedish porn dialer.

That was fun.

Grant A.
January 3rd, 2009, 03:48 AM
I've ran Windows for 10 years without ever getting a single virus, or getting a blue screen...

damis648
January 3rd, 2009, 04:01 AM
I've ran Windows for 10 years without ever getting a single virus, or getting a blue screen...

A sign of the apocalypse! :popcorn:

I'm not even going into the viruses I've had when using Windows, that would be wayy too long. :popcorn:

I downloaded some Win32 implementations of those commands.. One of them was a swedish porn dialer.

:lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

LinuxLoonNH
January 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
No, you do not. If you found "1234 viruses" on your Ubuntu install, chances are they come from the Windows partitions you have, NOT Ubuntu.

Windows based anti-virus software is not going to catch everything while Windows is running (I know, as I ran Trend Micro's online scanner through the Live CD and found almost a hundred instances of malware on my father's computer before I installed Ubuntu for him at his request).

Thanks sydbat, that is what I thought and why I'm using Ubuntu / Linux again. It also makes my Celeron D run quite nicely. I might ditch the Micro$oft Money for GNUCash or HomeBank.

After the desktop is settled, I'm going to dual boot my Acer Aspire Laptop running Vista. I have to finish scanning like 20 years worth of slides into it before I do this :) I need to get ready for the return trip to Montreal this August. I don't want another virus ;)

Hyper Tails
January 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM

Impossible!

tomszyszko
January 3rd, 2009, 06:41 PM
Has anyone found a linux virus yet?

Bill GAtes must be wetting his pants! :popcorn::popcorn: sit back and relax :o:o:popcorn::popcorn:

xpod
January 3rd, 2009, 06:45 PM
Apart from other peoples messed up computers that i now help out with on occasion my only experience of Viruses and the like were the first couple of machines i ever had/used,way back in 2006.They came from other people and both had been used for years without the owners having had any real clue whatsoever.
Both PC`s(an ME & an XP) were in such a sorry state(as i was to learn) that i spent my first months on a computer learning all about viruses,spyware,malware,dodgy drivers,dubious dll`s and the ever present bsod`s.....to name but a few.

By time i eventually learned how to re-install the things a few months later(via a command prompt funnily enough)i probably knew more about cleaning dirty Windows than most people i know seem to have learned in years.
Of course,by that time i`d also discovered Ubuntu so that first clean XP install never even lasted the week.
I never did get to try solataire & paint.:)

ithanium
January 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
The worse virus I had was one called lssas.exe that coused your computer to restart all of a sudent. It also restarted if you tried to connect to the internet :(

LinuxLoonNH
January 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Impossible!

Maybe he runs it in a virtual machine on a *inx machine! :D

Hyper Tails
January 3rd, 2009, 07:58 PM
Has anyone found a linux virus yet?

Bill GAtes must be wetting his pants! :popcorn::popcorn: sit back and relax :o:o:popcorn::popcorn:

Here's all the types of Linux Viruses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Viruses#Trojans

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 3rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
I found one on a computer, running Windows, I set up for my grandchildren to use. The malware was a new one not detected by virus scanners. Full story is at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,19884237?hilite=oldgraywolf. The story involved the use of Linux to send the malware to the anti-virus software vendors. I must have been using 7.10 at the time.

Hyper Tails
January 4th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Kind of off topic but I actually collect viruses, both the asm source and binaries. I like to dissect them and study them. I'm not a malicious person or anything like that its just a weird hobby I started. It's like Pokemon or something, I gotta catch em all! If anyone else is into this sorta thing then let me know and maybe we can do some trading. I have mine in a tar.gz available for download but I won't post the link, I assume it would be against the rules here so if interested send a pm I guess.

Have you Tried making your own and testing them?

Bungo Pony
January 4th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Hey, one of my old threads! :)

I recall writing a trojan for the Commodore 64. I had a 'friend' who had sabotaged a piece of software of mine, essentially filling the database with garbage. So, I wrote a trojan, embedded it into one of his programs, hid the code, and everytime he ran it, it would add random garbage to his floppy directory. The C-64 allowed you to use things like color change commands, function keys, cursor commands, screen clearing, and even graphics as ascii characters. Imagine how messed up the floppy directory looked when he tried to read it.

Grant A.
January 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Maybe he runs it in a virtual machine on a *inx machine! :D

Nope, I run Windows on its own partition. You have that backwards btw, I virtualize Xubuntu in Windows, but only for GCC and Irssi.

I-75
January 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM
It was in 2005, I was surfing around and got the "Spy Sheriff" virus. I was using XP with Windows IE6.

My computer desktop was suddenly had a blue blackground and then there was this blinking "notification" on the bottom right of the screen saying the computer was infected. And there was a "way" to "get rid of the virus" if I coughed up $39.

I tried to get on the internet and my home page was replaced with Spy Sheriff's home page instead. I was lucky I didn't try to go any further as the virus did not yet affect system restore.

(Which I read later on, once it reaches that point its nearly impossible to get rid of without reformatting my hard drive)

What it turned out to be was one of those nasty malware programs that infect your computer and then try to make you pay to get rid of the virus that they infected with the virus.

I tried spy bot search and destroy and some other free anti virus malware removal programs and it would not get rid of it.

Using my other computer that wasn't infected, I found some very good sites on how to get rid of it. Basically I had to go manually into the registry and manually delete some very nasty files and followed some other procedures and then was able to do a system restore.

From that point on after reading many different really good web sites, I swore off IE and used Firefox exclusively.

Antivirus 2009XP and other variants today are much like what "Spy Sheriff" was in 2005....perhaps even worse. Its also called "ransom ware", "extortion ware", "scare ware" and it sucks.

Saghaulor
January 16th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I have two stories, but they are certainly not all of my stories.

My first encounter with a computer virus was back with Windows 3.1 or whatever it's called.

I was typing a paper for elementary school or middle school, and well, it was about sexuality or something. It was a sex education paper. Well every time I typed in something remotely sexual, this virus, the Empire Monkey virus, would juveniley change the word out for something more vulgar, ie, breasts for t#t$. It was pretty annoying considering I had some important homework to do, but then again, it was pretty funny.

A few months ago my cousin called me with a problem. Turns out his Windows Vista machine kept BSOD'n and rebooting. Well, while the windows loading screen appeared, at the bottom was an ad for some virus removal program. Well, the Windows loading screen was for Windows XP, despite his machine clearly being Windows Vista.

It was pretty silly.

wrtpeeps
January 16th, 2009, 02:55 AM
The last one I had was about 5 years ago. I ran a virus scan which took 5 minutes, and it was removed. Shock.

Hold on, isn't the above the main argument thrown about here for bashing windows? Wooops!

Tristam Green
January 16th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I and the team I work with are currently dealing with massive outbreaks of the W32_Downadup virus and its corresponding Windows Exploit.

It's nasty stuff, and I'd just as soon forget it once it's over.

init1
January 16th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I found one not too long ago that I got by sticking my USB drive into my friend's computer. It infects computers by using an autorun. Norton didn't detect it.

jflaker
January 16th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I once was running Microsoft Windows.

Need I say more?

Hyper Tails
January 16th, 2009, 11:38 PM
No, you do not. If you found "1234 viruses" on your Ubuntu install, chances are they come from the Windows partitions you have, NOT Ubuntu.

Okay There's Are certain resason why Linux anti-viruses exist.

# to scan a Windows drive in your PC
# to scan Windows machines over a network
# to scan files you are going to send to other people
# to scan e-mail you are going to forward to other people
#

some Windows viruses can run with Wine.
# Linux virus infections are theoretically possible

and my uncle eric is thinking of using ubuntu and i would recommend a anti-virus and a firewall

running Any os without a anti-virus is like having a computer without a monitor

even chris pirlio thinks it's crazy

AlphaMack
January 17th, 2009, 05:39 AM
The only time I was ever infected was with SevenDust (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SevenDust_(computer_virus)) on Mac OS 8. The worst it did was make my system unstable (considering that Mac OS was already unstable as it was).

Presto123
January 17th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I remember one I was quite proud of borking:

Some virus infected my computer (don't remember the name) in about 2003. I searched around for all the processes and figured out the virus, which had NO resolution at the time. Virus scans missed it, deletion of the file only led to more copies...so, I went in, hacked the virus, then deleted out whatever I could and had NO more problems.

billgoldberg
January 17th, 2009, 10:35 AM
In light of the re-ocurrance of the Stoned virus, I think it would be cool to share some computer virus infection stories.

Stoned (not sure which variant) was the first virus that I got infected with. It was a pretty popular virus, since I got re-infected with it numerous times when bringing floppies home from school and borrowing from friends. I remember running Microsoft Anti-virus and scanning all my floppies to try and get rid of it. Remember when Microsoft made Anti-virus software? :)

I also remember very well when the Loveletter worm hit pretty much all of the computers at work. Hey, my co-worker sent me a love letter! It had to be funny! Ooops, new mail is arriving in droves. NEAT! Lets click on it again! (It didn't originally occur to me that it was a virus - I thought it was just a dumb joke script or something). Lots of people at work clicked on it, and my inbox was flooded with loveletters. Then my computer froze. Eventually, I discovered all my .jpgs were changed to loveletters. After that incident, internet virus hoaxes were flooding my inbox.

Back in the days of dial up ISDN I got an virus on my Win 98 box after visiting a pron site.

It was a dialing virus (of however you call it).

My parents got a huge bill for it, and when they had someone fix the pc, I got busted for browsing pron.

That was 10 years ago or something.

--

The only malware problem I had recently was on my Asus Eeepc that came with windows.

After 2 days of usage, AVG bricked it completely. (http://www.ghacks.net/2008/11/10/avg-8-update-marked-user32dll-as-virus-infected/)

From now on I consider AVG malware.

And I switched the little feller to Eeebuntu.

billgoldberg
January 17th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Okay There's Are certain resason why Linux anti-viruses exist.

# to scan a Windows drive in your PC
# to scan Windows machines over a network
# to scan files you are going to send to other people
# to scan e-mail you are going to forward to other people
#

some Windows viruses can run with Wine.
# Linux virus infections are theoretically possible

and my uncle eric is thinking of using ubuntu and i would recommend a anti-virus and a firewall

running Any os without a anti-virus is like having a computer without a monitor

even chris pirlio thinks it's crazy

First and fore all, Chris Pirillo is an idiot.

Secondly, using an anti-virus program on any Linux desktop distro is completely unnecessary.

They waste resources. You are better of sticking to repos for installing software and keeping your box up to date.

Heeter
January 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Got hit with the mblaster worm, pre XP-SP1.

The funny thing I remember was that SP1 had the fix for this worm. But I had to do a fresh install of XP, then get online to goto Windows update and install XP SP1, on the way there, the machine picked up the darn worm again. (twice).

Never got hit with one that wiped out the C:/ drive, though.

Heeter

SpenceMakesSense
January 17th, 2009, 10:54 AM
whenever one of my friends complains about his computer being too slow its always been the same thing.
this program that acts like an anti-virus but is really just the promotion for one. and it gives these stupid little speech bubbles in the corner saying "you have a security problem!" exclamation point and all. It was really bad considering I had no idea how to get rid of it and under processes it was names a.exe then after ending the process it turned into b.exe and simply searching for a.exe or b.exe didnt come up with anything. Oh and most people get this virus from myspace :mad:

insane_alien
January 17th, 2009, 11:17 AM
i once got one that kept popping up lots of porn on the dektop. this was back on a win 98 machine with 64mb of ram so it slowed the pants off of it(no pun intended) although i am surprised neither 98 nor internet explorer crashed under the strain.

as luck would have it, when i thought i had cleared it out and was starting it up with my parents around, i discovered i hadn't done such a good job afterall.

3rdalbum
January 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Being a Mac user for most of my life, I never had viruses. Not even that "SevenDust" one mentioned earlier in the thread.

I bought a Windows PC to run Ubuntu on, and I dual-booted. After I upgraded to a newer more powerful computer, I gave the old one to my father who thought it would be a great idea to run Windows.

About a month in, he complained that he was getting a program coming up claiming to be "Anti-spyware 2008". Turns out he had the "zlob.downloader" virus, which downloads other malware automatically to your computer - like an evil, unrequested Apt-get! The normal anti-spyware software would get rid of the downloaded malware but not the zlob. In the end, I tried an anti-spyware program that told me the file location of the infection, and although I couldn't manually remove it with Windows ("File is busy") I could finally eliminate it using the Ubuntu partition.

After that, I swapped the aging Ubuntu version for the latest Linux Mint, and he's been using that ever since.

Bungo Pony
January 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I found one not too long ago that I got by sticking my USB drive into my friend's computer. It infects computers by using an autorun. Norton didn't detect it.

That was probably U3 software which comes pre-installed on many USB flash drives. I had it bork up my home computer once, and it was a pain to remove it. Someone stuck one of those U3 infested drives into my work computer and the thing crashed.

I swear that U3 is really a trojan.

jimi_hendrix
January 18th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Morris Worm J/K

whats a morris worm?

luckily between my paranoidness and AVG Free i have avoided all viruses

Giant Speck
January 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
whats a morris worm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_worm

In other news, I have yet to experience the phenomenon known as "virus."

jimi_hendrix
January 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM
i want to do this for the heck of it (http://xkcd.com/350/)

sanderella
January 18th, 2009, 05:22 PM
When we had Windows 98, I got a virus called happy99.exe. It was a cute cartoon with fireworks and flashy bits. That's the only one we ever had.:KS

Giant Speck
January 18th, 2009, 05:30 PM
When we had Windows 98, I got a virus called happy99.exe. It was a cute cartoon with fireworks and flashy bits. That's the only one we ever had.:KS

What was it doing to your computer while it was distracting you with the cartoon?

HavocXphere
January 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I manually cleaned a system. All well for ~3 months, then it reappeared.:confused: Loads of head scratching and virus hunting later I found out that someone did a system restore on the PC and resurrected the virus that way.:rolleyes:

And then there was a LAN where 1 guy knew his PC was infested but didn't want to tell anyone and happily shared a bunch of infested stuff. So I pointed it out to him and he tried to hush the whole thing & continue sharing infested stuff. wtf:mad:

sanderella
January 18th, 2009, 06:47 PM
What was it doing to your computer while it was distracting you with the cartoon?

Goodness knows.:confused:But we got rid of it with some antivirus softwear or other.

Hyper Tails
January 18th, 2009, 11:21 PM
First and fore all, Chris Pirillo is an idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEjFCcOZWn8&feature=channel

I manually cleaned a system. All well for ~3 months, then it reappeared. Loads of head scratching and virus hunting later I found out that someone did a system restore on the PC and resurrected the virus that way.

And then there was a LAN where 1 guy knew his PC was infested but didn't want to tell anyone and happily shared a bunch of infested stuff. So I pointed it out to him and he tried to hush the whole thing & continue sharing infested stuff. wtf

do you scan every day too or every once in a while?

flyingsliverfin
January 18th, 2009, 11:27 PM
That was probably U3 software which comes pre-installed on many USB flash drives. I had it bork up my home computer once, and it was a pain to remove it. Someone stuck one of those U3 infested drives into my work computer and the thing crashed.

I swear that U3 is really a trojan.

no matter how many times I try to repartition my USB stick to get rid of the U3, I can't. is it something that comes with the hardware? (ha: it never acted like a trojan to me. Well then... it never turns on under ubuntu. I can only see it my school computers. Doesn't seem to destroy the system there!)

-jay-
January 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
i use to get viruses all the time in windows me when i 1st got a computer as the years went by i would say from march 2001 to dec 2001 i got about 20 virues from dec 2001 til 2 weeks ago i only had about 5 viruses