PDA

View Full Version : Apple OS X already boots on Intel's next-gen chip

Sporkman
September 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM
http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybelt/2007/09/apple-os-x-alre.html

Apple OS X already boots on Intel's next-gen chip

Intel's (INTC) next-generation Nehalem chip is already working with Apple's (AAPL) Mac OS in tests, Intel CEO Paul Otellini said Tuesday.

During his keynote address at the Intel Developer Forum in San Francisco, Otellini said that Nehalem, due next year, will bring major performance improvements. With Otellini looking on, engineer Glenn Hinton demonstrated a system using Nehalem that was running Windows XP. A voice from the computer said, "Hello Paul; I am Nehalem. I am only three weeks old, and I am already talking."

Otellini then pointed out that the team has already gotten Nehalem to boot OS X.

It seems most likely that Nehalem, a multi-core chip designed for fast performance, would be used in Apple's top-to-the-line desktop system, the Mac Pro.

The Mac/Nehalem milestone is important because it shows that Intel and Apple continue to have a close relationship as each company charts its future. Previously, Apple CEO Steve Jobs had grown frustrated with the computer maker's relationship with IBM (IBM) when that company was providing G4 chips for the Mac platform.

Relations with Intel are clearly better. In June, Jobs gave Otellini a custom-made plaque to show Apple's appreciation for the way the relationship with Intel was progressing.

"Working with Apple has been one of the best things that’s happened in my career," Otellini said at the time. "I think we have the best still to come."

karellen
September 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM
ok, and the point is...?
:confused:

Pumalite
September 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
You will, in the future, dual boot OS X and Ubuntu, if you want; in a super fast computer.

icett
September 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
You will, in the future, dual boot OS X and Ubuntu, if you want; in a super fast computer.

If Apple allows.:)

starcraft.man
September 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM
ok, and the point is...?
:confused:
I am with karellen in confusion... Those chips are a year or more away, so what is the amazing part and why is it news today? It's obvious since Apple's move to Intel that they would work on any new platform made.

Jonne
September 19th, 2007, 06:42 PM
If it's a x86 chip, is there any OS that *wouldn't* boot on it? I bet it boots Ubuntu without problems too...

Sporkman
September 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I am with karellen in confusion... Those chips are a year or more away, so what is the amazing part and why is it news today? It's obvious since Apple's move to Intel that they would work on any new platform made.

Saw it on the news wires, thought it was an intersting milestone for computer tech enthusiasts such as who inhabits this board, coupled with my curiosity in knowing more about nehalem, also interesting emphasis on the positive Apple-intel relationship. Combine all that with a relatively low bar on necessary merit or newsworthiness of new threads on this or most off-topic forums involving casual chat, and here we are. :)

Kowalski_GT-R
September 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
If it's a x86 chip, is there any OS that *wouldn't* boot on it?

I'll second that....

karellen
September 19th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Saw it on the news wires, thought it was an intersting milestone for computer tech enthusiasts such as who inhabits this board, coupled with my curiosity in knowing more about nehalem, also interesting emphasis on the positive Apple-intel relationship. Combine all that with a relatively low bar on necessary merit or newsworthiness of new threads on this or most off-topic forums involving casual chat, and here we are. :)

ok, but from what you've wrote it seems to me more an advertise for apple then pure technically info about intel's nehalem...
maybe it's just my subjective impression

mips
September 19th, 2007, 07:11 PM
There hasn't really been anything revolutionary in the hardware field for years.

We need to break away from the mold and design new innovative products and that includes cpus. I don't really care for backward compatibility as it holds you back.

Sporkman
September 19th, 2007, 07:17 PM
ok, but from what you've wrote it seems to me more an advertise for apple then pure technically info about intel's nehalem...
maybe it's just my subjective impression

That's not surprising, as it's a PR-ish press release (I spotted it in my company headlines list, where for each company the most recent press releases that mentions the company is listed).

karellen
September 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM
That's not surprising, as it's a PR-ish press release (I spotted it in my company headlines list, where for each company the most recent press releases that mentions the company is listed).

ok, now I got it :D

starcraft.man
September 19th, 2007, 07:38 PM
There hasn't really been anything revolutionary in the hardware field for years.

We need to break away from the mold and design new innovative products and that includes cpus. I don't really care for backward compatibility as it holds you back.

I agree, but the rest of the world cares more about compatibility than drastic progress. I mean just look how long it's taken us to start moving to 64 bit...

Sporkman
September 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I agree, but the rest of the world cares more about compatibility than drastic progress. I mean just look how long it's taken us to start moving to 64 bit...

That's the reason the RISC-type architecture never took off, IIRC.