PDA

View Full Version : Questions about writing in the IT profession

jonny.allred
September 19th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I imagine lots of people on the forum work in some sort of IT profession. I'm doing a casual survey for a class and would appreciate your help. Below are five questions about writing in the IT profession. If you could just post a brief answer to the questions with your position I would be very grateful. Thanks!

1. What professional groups do you belong to? (professional organizations, job-related groups)

2. What types of writing-related activities do you do? (gathering data, meeting with colleagues, revising, editing)

3. How much time do you spend writing daily or what percent of your time do you spend writing?

4. What form does your writing take (letters, proposals, etc.) and who are the audiences for these documents?

5. What is the most important thing that I should learn from my technical writing class?

nowshining
September 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
"your name" is the part that may bother the Mods or anyone going to answer ur questions, I suggest it be best to just use their username here on the forums.

jonny.allred
September 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
good call. Just usernames and positions. Thanks.

derekr44
September 19th, 2007, 05:03 PM
1. What professional groups do you belong to? (professional organizations, job-related groups)

Toastmasters

2. What types of writing-related activities do you do? (gathering data, meeting with colleagues, revising, editing)

Concept creation, gathering data, meeting with colleagues, revising, editing, publishing

3. How much time do you spend writing daily or what percent of your time do you spend writing?

Too much. 2-4 hours

4. What form does your writing take (letters, proposals, etc.) and who are the audiences for these documents?

Forms: Proposals, user documentation, knowledgebase articles, support training documentation, business change requests, software fix/enhancement requests
Audience: students, end-users, developers, business architects, Level 1 and Level 2 support teams, Application Monitoring teams

5. What is the most important thing that I should learn from my technical writing class?

Keep your audience in mind. Also, correct grammar and spelling tells a lot in business documents.