PDA

View Full Version : EPA against Computer Recycling

shaft350x
September 19th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Interesting story I read here about the EPA going after James Burgett (http://nixedblog.thenixedreport.com/?p=64) a guy who recycles computers and puts linux on them to give them away to people who can't afford computers.

His blog can be found here: After-math Technologies (http://www.aftermath-technologies.blogspot.com/) and the website can be found here http://www.accrc.org/

Really neat stuff that they do, hate to see the EPA jump on someone doing something good for people and the environment. Although it looks like from the blog they may have some sense in them yet. Hope it turns out all right. He does show some ways that people can help too.

nowshining
September 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
EPA don't care about the Environment all they care about is riches and power - try n' find the REAL people who care about the Environment and now thatta be a bit tough . :) You'll actually have to look for them, like the REAL animal lovers, REAL helper of the Children, REAL helper to those dying in poorer countries. A tip is u won't find them in a mansion, you'll find them nearly dying or already dead. Again you'll have to look unless ur lucky to see one.

macogw
September 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM
WT?! The Goodwill in Pittsburgh has a computer store full of "old junk." They've got vintage computers on display as well. I think it's great for getting PC100 for my old comptuers, and the place where I worked this summer gave an old Gateway 2000 to them. I know they load a lot of their old boxes with Ubuntu to avoid the Windows licensing nightmare, and it keeps the customers from being stuck on a platform where you have to pay for most software. Plus, it runs much better on old hardware than Windows does.

init1
September 20th, 2007, 12:07 AM
This is stupid. The EPA has made a very bad call.

K.Mandla
September 20th, 2007, 12:37 AM
This is stupid. The EPA has made a very bad call.
I've rarely seen an American government agency make a good call.

areteichi
September 20th, 2007, 12:57 AM
I've rarely seen an American government agency make a good call.

I must second that. It is as if they are in office to provoke citizens, especially after 9/11.
Now that we are on our way to Iran, we will have to see how people would react.

angryfirelord
September 20th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Even though the PC is old, why throw it away if it still works? Sure, you won't be able to frag at 1280x1024 on Nexuiz, but for the 90% of tasks that anyone does (e-mail, word processing, web surfing, ubuntuforums posting) on their PC can easily be handled by a Pentium III. If Ubuntu is still too fat for that Pentium II, then distros like Puppy, DSL, or a carefully configured Debian can get to that area. Linux really does extend the life of your PC.

Depressed Man
September 20th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Because there won't be any reason for people to buy new computers (even if they don't utilize it to its full ability). And as a capitalist society we're dependent on people buying newer and newer things otherwise our market collaspes. If everyone who only used computers for the basics used these computers, the computer industry growth would be slowed down drasitically.

And as a technological society, we can't let that happen. So we continue our path of consuming everything including the environment to keep the progress going.

shaft350x
September 20th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Well depressed man, all I can say is...appropriate s/n. I do see your point. After WTC 9/11 when we were basically told "let's go shopping", and NAFTA and such to support big business. It can look pretty much like corporate america is taking over.

Unfortunately for them though America is filled with Americans (or U.S. Americans living in our country, sorry couldn't resist) and we are a notoriously rowdy bunch, sometimes to our detriment. However, don't underestimate the little guys. This guy was a featured CNN everyday hero too, so he's got some clout, and know-how after reading a bit of his blog and his open letter to SCO.

Ubuntu.