PDA

View Full Version : Encourage commercial software porting for linux

beyboo
September 19th, 2007, 10:39 AM
All,

I am trying to compile a list of software which were usually in the windows domain (and the reason for so many users not to leave *******).

Typically software like acrobat readers, Winamp, Nero, Winzip, Winrar and a host of others which have made users come to "like" *******.

True, there are equivalent software bundles in Gnome and KDE, perhaps even better - but it is the comfort feel that these commercial windows versions give which can be decisive for drawing users to linux.

I am sure commercial software companies are slow and cautious in their approach to making software for linux due to a big question -

" Are there enough users for the effort they put in for the port ?"

I have seen various companies do thing with varying confidence levels. Some have been more cautious than others.

I believe that we as users should give the confidence to these companies by downloading their linux offerings and making the download count for them to tilt their favor in being proactive in porting software. I am sure they would be watching those download counters carefully when they make these ports.

I have so far identified the following software as available for Linux in the .RPM, or .Deb formats.

Acrobat Reader
Yahoo messenger (this sucks big time)
Winamp ? (hear its in a beta stage)
Nero

There are many more - I am sure. I would like you guys to visit them and atleast download them to add to that download counter.

you may use it or just download to trash ;), but atleast its a small way to show support to Linux and encourage commercial software companies to port recent and decent packages for linux.

Please add to this small list I have. I am also interested in making this post a sticky for some time - if you folks see value in this.

hessiess
September 19th, 2007, 11:00 AM
adobe photoshop seems to be a big resen for winblows use

ingis
September 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM
All,

Acrobat Reader
Yahoo messenger (this sucks big time)
Winamp ? (hear its in a beta stage)
Nero

Please add to this small list I have. I am also interested in making this post a sticky for some time - if you folks see value in this.

I do so by asking developers to port software on Linux. See my signature. You can do it too :)
OK I'm going to download that programs, but I think they are not so nesesary. For example I simple could not work on Linux, because my major work app Autodesk Revit Architecture were not ported to Linux. It's app wich have to handle projects sometimes 1GB of size and let edit that project for many users on network and it definitely will run better on Linux, then on Vista or Xp.

Edited. by the way IBM released free version of Lotus notes beta http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.jspa

amauk
September 19th, 2007, 03:33 PM
AutoCAD
number one reason our office machines still run windows

I know there are native *nix CAD packages around,
but the cost of re-training on a different piece of software is a bit of a no-go

Montsegur87
September 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Why port Winamp when XMMS is identical?

Lord Illidan
September 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM
XMMS is far less functional than Winamp. No library for starters..

Although when you factor in Amarok, Winamp goes down in flames.

As to commercial software, probably Photoshop is the most wanted app.

aysiu
September 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I can understand for things like AutoCAD (for which there is no equivalent), but why would you ask people to port over proprietary apps to Linux just "for comfort" when there is an equivalent or better?

It would make far more sense to port the open source equivalent or better to Windows so that people can get comfortable with it there. Make a K3B for Windows and an AmaroK for Windows. For a lot of new Ubuntu users, Firefox was the "gateway drug" from Windows to Ubuntu.