PDA

View Full Version : Are posts that mention Automatix against the rules?

Kilz
September 19th, 2007, 05:41 AM
I have noticed that posts that discuss Automatix are locked and that no discussion is allowed. The most recent being a discussion about the ethical nature of having Automatix installed in Ubuntu CE.
The Ubuntu CE discussion about Automatix was dealing with its ethics in using a application that may be doing illegal things in a Christian distribution. The discussion was in the Ubuntu CE 3rd party sub section. The topic (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=251004)was locked stating that technical discussions had already been done before. But this topic was not on the technical merits.
But there are other threads I have seen that have been locked dealing with Automatix. Is the discussion of this piece of software that was originally a Ubuntu 3rd party project not against the rules? If so why is there no rule stating this posted?

KiwiNZ
September 19th, 2007, 05:55 AM
There was in the past a number of unpleasant threads concerning Automatix and we have no desire to return to those days.

As Automatix has its own Forum it is more appropriate that matters concerning Automatix be discussed there . After all that is where the experts are located.

There is no general rule as such.

Kilz
September 19th, 2007, 06:07 AM
I can understand, but since the thread I mentioned did not have to do with any questions that could be answered by the Automatix creators. It would not have been appropriate there. So is it that the mods are locking threads with that topic because they fear what might happen in a discussion?
But its a linux application. Ubuntu is a linux os. Isnt discussing the applications something that should be considered normal?
What other applications get their topics locked? If there is no rule, then why are the topics locked? Please help me understand why discussions on a part(its ethics of use) of an application (Automatix) gets the topic locked even before a problem happens?

KiwiNZ
September 19th, 2007, 06:41 AM
The Forum Code of Conduct allows the Moderators to edit for content at their discretion, including the locking of threads.

The Thread you refer to was started in September 2006 before Automatix or Ubuntu CE had their own Forums.

Discussion stopped in November 2006 essentially. There was one more post in July 2007 then silence until a post one week ago.

The topic was dead. Things have changed , Automatix has its own forum as does Ubuntu CE , There was no real advantage for an old thread to be resurrected.