PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever detected a virus on linux?

QwUo173Hy
September 19th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I've just installed AVG anti-virus out of curiosity. I didn't find any viruses of course, but I'd like to know about everyone else.

happysmileman
September 19th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Got a virus on WINE on purpose to see if it'd damage anything, of course it didn't (deleted some things on drive_c though), and I voted for "I don't use anti-virus"

stmiller
September 19th, 2007, 01:11 AM
That software is to scan network drives or Linux server drives in a shared Windows environment to protect viruses from Windows attached clients.

You are wasting your CPU cycles by running anti-virus software in Linux, as there are no Linux viruses, nor does that software scan for any Linux viruses. :popcorn:

Gremlinzzz
September 19th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I don't use anti virus
http://www.howtoforge.com/avg_antivirus_ubuntu_feisty

astopy
September 19th, 2007, 09:41 AM
I have detected Windows viruses on my servers, and a couple of (ineffective) Linux rootkits.

Sammi
September 19th, 2007, 10:27 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses_and_worms

There are exactly 9 known worms and 14 known viruses for Linux. NONE of them have successfully propagated "in the wild".

karellen
September 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I do a "sudo chkrootkit" from time to time...and that are all my security measures for linux.

Caffeine_Junky
September 19th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I dont use antivirus software on my linuxbox.

I do use Firestarter and an ADSL-modem-router(built-in firewall).

I feel safe enough :p + I am a smart surfer ;) .

It is nice to have a break from the daily chores I use to perform on XP, ie: security/spyware updates and slow'ish boot times waiting for desktop to finish loading due to my (third party) firewall and AV loading :roll:

YoungCthulhu
September 19th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Karellen said:

I do a "sudo chkrootkit" from time to time...and that are all my security measures for linux.

I just tried this, and got this:

____@GORT:~$ sudo chkrootkit
sudo: chkrootkit: command not found
____@GORT:~$

I'm just curious. Oh, and I don't use any virus protection and I have never had a problem, or rather, I am not aware of any problems. :confused:

Cheers!

karellen
September 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Karellen said:

I just tried this, and got this:

I'm just curious. Oh, and I don't use any virus protection and I have never had a problem, or rather, I am not aware of any problems. :confused:

Cheers!

before you launch the application, install it ;)
"sudo apt-get install chkrootkit"

misfitpierce
September 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Just simply don't use it. No windows junk on my network so i'm not worried about spreading a virus to one and since there are 0 for linux.... Well you see my drift :)

UofLSpeed
September 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I've never really worried about getting a virus in linux. Between Firestarter and a router firewall I figure I'm pretty safe.

If you're really worried about it, you could use a virtual machine inside VMware to do any questionable surfing then roll back to a previous snapshot when you think you've caught a virus.

nowshining
September 19th, 2007, 02:07 PM
AVg antivirus does scan for linux viruses I should know I gave em' samples but AVG for linux Sucks compared to the windows version. So far I don't use any anti-virus at all. edit: altho I do have some portable anti-virus solutions on my portable drive from when I did run windows. YES clamAv is on there..windows version.

misfitpierce
September 19th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Well i've yet to hear of a virus on debian output that has tore computers apart so I will not use until and IF I stress IF it does. :)

nowshining
September 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM
misfitpierce the ones were that others detected and AVG did not such as I think one was the snoopy virus so I sent them a sample from a sites sample and some others to get up to date. :) I quit 'cause AVG for linux again sucks - I had a many a trouble getting it to remember the reg numbers, etc... So i just gave up and I used to send in samples - a lot of them, since I had trouble with that I quit and don't send any sample no more. :)

Plus that AVG for linux somehow strangely is HUGE compared to windows and what I mean is by download size at least - windows about 16-20mb for linux over 35 + mbs.

YoungCthulhu
September 20th, 2007, 05:59 AM
D'oh!... #-o

Cheers :)

salvador dali
September 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Linux builds a community where everyone is dedicated to making the system better, rather than tearing it apart.

lisati
September 20th, 2007, 06:52 AM
A thought: just because the current risk is low enough to be perceived as virtually non-existent, it doesn't mean that some rascal won't try. There's no substitute for good sense.

theonlyalterego
September 20th, 2007, 07:17 AM
A thought: just because the current risk is low enough to be perceived as virtually non-existent, it doesn't mean that some rascal won't try. There's no substitute for good sense.

yes, but one must also consider how a virus works. The inherit nature of linux makes it much more resilient to viral attacks than windows due to the large community devotion to quickly patch any and all known security holes. Thus, any and all dangerous threats quickly get eliminated... good sense my friend, is why there are no viruses for linux: it's not a very profitable market compared to the swiss-cheese security holes windows offer the average virus-crafter.

just my 2cents :)

but back on top:
1. no never had a virus
2. no I don't [need] antivirus software
3. no I don't defrag either :-P

astopy
September 20th, 2007, 09:20 AM

If I understand you correctly, you're saying that it's good sense to run an antivirus app because someone might one day write an effective virus? That's not true. An antivirus app can only detect known viruses, so there's no reason to run one when there are no known viruses.