PDA

View Full Version : Why should this thread be closed when the discussion is still happening?

tak1150
September 18th, 2007, 11:37 PM
This thread ( Automatix -- ethical question (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=251004)) was closed for a reason that does not make sense to me.

I have not read the rulebook on this; so I would really like to know the reason behind it.

frodon said:

There's no need to beat the deasd horse over and over again and revive one year old thread, time to move on don't you think ?

All about automatix has been said and you will find an official statement here :
http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html

Tthread closed

The link he provided only has to do with technical issues from what I can tell. I understand that there have been other threads where people discussed the technical controversy of Automatix. But this thread is different. It is in "Ubuntu Christian Edition" Forum and it is intended for primarily a Christian audience, who would have different concerns than other people whose concerns may (or may not) be limited to technical and legal issues.

Even on the same day that frodon closed this thread, there was an interesting post about the morality (not legality or technicality) of the issue.

If there is a rule in this forum that I am not familiar with that frodon is enforcing, forgive me for wasting your time. But otherwise I can't help but to think that either there may have been personal agenda behind this or that the moderator was not careful in examining what the topic of the thread was.

Thank you for your time.

Tak

KiwiNZ
September 19th, 2007, 12:02 AM
This was an old thread , the subject of Automatix has been fully covered . A search of this forum would answer any issue. If not Automatix has its own Forums and issues should be directed there . That is where the expertise lays .

tak1150
September 19th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I understand where you're coming from. And you'd be right if this thread was another of those threads that discuss the technical and legal issues.

However, this particular thread is unique in that it was the place to discuss whether it is right for Christians or not (there are lawful things that Christians ought not participate in and vice versa).

KiwiNZ
September 19th, 2007, 01:17 AM
As I said earlier , it is more appropriate that it be discussed on the more appropriate Forums , that is Automatix or the new Ubuntu CE Forum.

tak1150
September 19th, 2007, 01:53 AM
As I said earlier , it is more appropriate that it be discussed on the more appropriate Forums , that is Automatix or the new Ubuntu CE Forum.

You did not mention the new Ubuntu CE forum earlier.
I am not trying to argue with you, but why is it wrong to continue the discussion at the current forum? And what new Ubuntu CE forum are you referring to? Thank you.

matthew
September 19th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I'm going to take a slightly different approach in explaining why I think closing the thread was okay. The thread was over a year old, it started September 5, 2006. The discussion, and it was a good one, went on until November 16,2006, another 95 posts, until people had discussed the issue in detail.

The thread remained open. It was resurrected in July 2007 with one post that received no direct response, and pretty much echoed the thoughts of other users who had posted previously. It wasn't a bad post, but it didn't add anything new to a very old discussion. Same thing with the additional two posts this week.

It is a very old topic that has been discussed in great detail. Nothing new has happened to add new information or insight to the discussion. It's kind of like digging up the grave of your dead cat, Fluffy, to see if he is still soft--it seems reasonable at the time, but it isn't really a great idea.

Now, if there had been some news, either about Automatix or Ubuntu CE or their relationship one with another, something that had just come out, then I could see a good case for bringing up the argument (from the science report: "scientists announce the newfound ability to make dead cats come back to life").

Unfortunately, these two topics, Automatix and Ubuntu CE, neither of which need to be controversial at all, seem to bring out the worst in some people. There are tons of reasons for that, most of them foolish, but they need to be contended with. As a result, there have been protracted discussions in the past over each of them, often spiraling and degrading into really bad behavior. The thread was closed based on that history, not merely the current events.

I stand by frodon's decision to close the thread.

tak1150
September 19th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Hi Matthew,

Though I disagree with you, thank you for answering my first question in my last post (and thank you for giving a thoughtful answer). Now, if I understand your logic, then, would it all right for somebody (me or others) to make a new thread on the same topic should there be new development in automatix or Ubuntu CE with regard to automatix?

That would lessen the level of disagreement I have with your decision. Even then, I still would like to see this thread alive for one more reason than I've articulated. If it is still open, as you mentioned the July 2007 post, somebody will occasionally post and the thread comes up to the top in the forum, thereby directing people's attention to the issue (such was the way I found this thread). I felt blessed to have found the thread. I do believe that other Christians that use Ubuntu or Ubuntu CE would appreciate the same kind of serendipity as well.

Now I also understand you probably have other more pressing issues in the forum. So if none of the reasons I've discussed in this thread affect your thinking on the issue, I would be content to submit to your decision though in disagreement.

Thanks for your time.

Tak

tak1150
September 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Oh forgot one thing.

What would be the answer to this part of my question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
You did not mention the new Ubuntu CE forum earlier.

I am not trying to argue with you, but why is it wrong to continue the discussion at the current forum? And what new Ubuntu CE forum are you referring to? Thank you.

Thanks.

matthew
September 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Though I disagree with you, thank you for answering my first question in my last post (and thank you for giving a thoughtful answer). Now, if I understand your logic, then, would it all right for somebody (me or others) to make a new thread on the same topic should there be new development in automatix or Ubuntu CE with regard to automatix?.

Now I also understand you probably have other more pressing issues in the forum. So if none of the reasons I've discussed in this thread affect your thinking on the issue, I would be content to submit to your decision though in disagreement.I totally get your point. I'm afraid my thinking is unchanged, though. I've probably been a little jaded from having to deal with a lot of silly drama because of these two issues, so I want them to fade away for a while. To your question, yes, if a new development appeared affecting either automatix or Ubuntu CE, I would be fine with a new thread and discussion.

What would be the answer to this part of my question?I don't actually know of a new forum for UCE, although I have heard talk of one being considered. Maybe Kiwi knows something I don't...if so, when he is around he can chime in.

matthew
September 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
I don't actually know of a new forum for UCE, although I have heard talk of one being considered.I just had someone send me a PM. This appears to be a place where some discussions of Ubuntu CE are happening.

For the moment, they still consider their 3rd party forum here to be their primary location, especially for tech support and those sorts of questions.
http://forums.churchforge.net/index.php?c=7