PDA

View Full Version : How much different will this be? (red hat question)

jyank
August 9th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Hello all.. been using Debian/Ubuntu combined for about a year now and i've grown comfortable with the way things work here. I'm currently in a networking major and this semester I will be taking some linux administration classes, these classes at the school i'm at REQUIRE, not reccomend, that I use Red Hat - which I've never touched, and was slightly disappointed that I couldn't just use ubuntu or debian, which i'd prefer.

So, are there any major differences? Am I going to be trying to do things "the debian way" and have things not work? Any links that could help me?

poofyhairguy
August 9th, 2005, 02:32 AM
Hello all.. been using Debian/Ubuntu combined for about a year now and i've grown comfortable with the way things work here. I'm currently in a networking major and this semester I will be taking some linux administration classes, these classes at the school i'm at REQUIRE, not reccomend, that I use Red Hat - which I've never touched, and was slightly disappointed that I couldn't just use ubuntu or debian, which i'd prefer.

So, are there any major differences? Am I going to be trying to do things "the debian way" and have things not work? Any links that could help me?

Like....why does it need Redhat? Are you creating binaries that install in Redhat? do you have to buy Redhat or can you use Fedora?

I would use chroot.

jyank
August 9th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Not sure really why they are requiring us to use it. The dean of networking said something to the effect of "we want everyone using a similar system so we won't have to explain small different things for each and every person"

They are supplying the CDs for installation, so i'm not sure really what build its going to be, but sitll kind of bummed out.

crane
August 9th, 2005, 03:04 AM
It doesn't suprise me that they require Redhat. If you go to the bookstores and find a good book on linux administration, chances are it will be based on Redhat as well.
I don't really know but I would guess that Redhat is the most used linux server in the corporate scene. Again thats just a guess.

I started on Redhat and moved to Ubuntu. As best as I can remember there are some differences but nothing that would utterly complicate things.

Good Luck with Classes!!

poofyhairguy
August 9th, 2005, 03:18 AM
It doesn't suprise me that they require Redhat. If you go to the bookstores and find a good book on linux administration, chances are it will be based on Redhat as well.
I don't really know but I would guess that Redhat is the most used linux server in the corporate scene. Again thats just a guess.

I started on Redhat and moved to Ubuntu. As best as I can remember there are some differences but nothing that would utterly complicate things.

Good Luck with Classes!!

Both use Gnome.....

somuchfortheafter
August 9th, 2005, 03:49 AM
what they dont know wont hurt them.... plus vmware exists for a reason.

npaladin2000
August 9th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Probably because that's all anyone in the department knows, and no one else has used or learned anything else. :)