PDA

View Full Version : Water Damage Laptop

brandoncolorado
September 18th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Hi everyone,

My laptop had a bunch of water spilled on it. The laptop was off and was not turned on until the morning. In the morning, the laptop wouldn't boot etc. After letting it dry a few times with the keyboard and the hard drive out (main problem) I finally got it to boot into Ubuntu. One last thing remains. The AC adapter works, but the battery will not charge. The power meter stays at 45%, but does not show that the laptop is charging. It doesn't even show that the AC adapter is connected. However, when plugged in, the power meter stops counting down, the screen brightens as usual.

What could I do to fix this? The contact looks clean (and probably not the problem because the laptop is actually getting power).

Thanks.

hessiess
September 18th, 2007, 07:29 PM
let it dry out for longer, take the bottem off if posable

TheThinker
September 18th, 2007, 07:42 PM
I would just get that whole laptop checked out by a professional if I were you, after backing up personal files of course. It may seem that everything but your battery works, but for all you know there could be corrosion in the circuit board. Not a good thing.

dca
September 18th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I would just be happy that's all the cup 'o water did.....

TheThinker
September 18th, 2007, 07:48 PM
LOL. Good thing I edited my post!

IYY
September 18th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Water damage often kills the battery. This is why the first damage-control steps after a spill are unplugging the power, removing the battery and shutting the machine down.

brandoncolorado
September 19th, 2007, 02:14 AM
The strange thing is that the battery works. The laptop will run off the battery. The laptop will run off A/C power. However, the icon showing that the laptop is charing with A/C does not light up, and Windows constantly shows the laptop as running on battery power.

brandoncolorado
October 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM
Any motherboard places I could send this you recommend? Still the same problem.