PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] OnBoard On screen Keyboard

BSBarrows
September 18th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I am trying to make a tablet out of my laptop, I have a touch screen and I am using the onboard keyboard, the only problem, when I put it to sleep, suspend it, when it returns it ask's for a password over a black screen and there is no way to open the keyboard that I know of. So if there is a way to get the keyboard so that it shows up on the wake up screen coming back from suspend, that will help me sooo much, because with out that I can't get back in after I suspend. Also if I get rid of the password prompt coming back from suspending the tablet. If anybody has a fix for this and can lay it out for me simply, I am new to Ubuntu. Thanks to anybody that can help me out.

BSBarrows
September 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM
come on people, does anybody know what to do?

Leaf
September 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
In system->prefs->accessibility accessibility prefs

there is an option to show on screen keyboard at login.

You might want to check this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2957545&postcount=10 for information on how to resize/position it so it downt completely obscure your login box.

BSBarrows
September 19th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Yes there is a show at login button, and it does, but for some reason it doesn't show up when I try to log back in after I suspend the machine, I am trying to use this laptop as a tablet, there for it only has a touch pad, so I kinda really need this to get back from the suspend. If there is a way to get around not having a password coming back from suspend that would be even better. Thanks to anybody that can help, be it changing the suspend so I don't need a password, or the keyboard at log back in from suspension.

octathlon
September 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I haven't tested this, but if you run gconf-editor, under apps>gnome-power-manager, there are checkboxes for lock_on_hibernate and lock_on_suspend. You could try unchecking them.

BSBarrows
September 20th, 2007, 03:13 AM
THANK YOU!! The forum has been there for all my questions so far! I am really loving Ubuntu. Un-checking the lock on suspend mode did it (duh, should have look around just a bit more) and I can just go right back to where I started, no lock at all. Just what I wanted!

Thanks sooooo much

Linuturk
August 5th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I'd like to propose a better fix for this.

Similar to the Accessibility options of the Login Manager, gdm, you can have an onscreen keyboard appear after you move the mouse in a special way. See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Accessibility/OnboardAndMousetweaksAtGDM

Why can't we have this same option on the screensaver prompt?

Crafty Kisses
August 30th, 2008, 05:25 AM
THANK YOU!! The forum has been there for all my questions so far! I am really loving Ubuntu. Un-checking the lock on suspend mode did it (duh, should have look around just a bit more) and I can just go right back to where I started, no lock at all. Just what I wanted!

Thanks sooooo much

Mark the thread solved.

aflores
October 31st, 2009, 03:02 AM
I'm not sure if this really qualifies as solved. I want to have a login screen after suspend, but I would like to be able to use the onscreen keyboard. Is it possible to have the same login screen (with the onscreen keyboard) after you resume from suspend?

GroovingClockwork
July 9th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Having the same issue as the original poster, I just found out that if you install onBoard virtual keyboard, then in the Settings window there is an option "Show onboard when unlocking the screen". Perfect - security and accessibility at once.

This may be absent on older versions though: cf. https://answers.launchpad.net/onboard/+question/65940