PDA

View Full Version : DDR3 RAM now available!!

PmDematagoda
September 18th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I suppose you've heard this before me, but Kingston has released DDR3 RAM, with the Hyper-X memory modules having a speed of 1375 Mhz:lolflag:, which is astronomical compared to the 533 Mhz RAM on my P4 mainboard.

Anyway, if anyone has used DDR3 RAM, I would really like to hear their views on the performance of the new RAM modules.

By the way could anyone tell me what types of mainboards use DDR3 RAM modules?

If anyone want's the link:-

http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr3.asp

igknighted
September 18th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Is it compatible with a standard 240 pin dimm slot, or would I need a new mobo?

PmDematagoda
September 18th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I read in the article for DDR3 that it doesn't have backward compatibility for DDR2 based motherboards, pity though it's quite obvious with the speeds of the DDR3 modules which are just simply awesome!!!:lolflag::)

a12ctic
September 18th, 2007, 01:12 PM
DDR3 Timings suck, most DDR2 chips will be a lot faster than the early DDR3 chips. For the next year or so DDR3 will be slower (because of timings) and way overpriced, then the timings will come down and it'll be fairly priced, just like DDR2.

PmDematagoda
September 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM
But you haven't actually used it have you?:)

But I agree with you about pricings, which will definitely reduce after some time.

Miguel
September 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM
From what I've read, at default speeds DDR3 is just expensive memory, because DDR2's latency and timings (I never thought I'd say this, when DDR2 vs DDR was exactly the same) give it an even footing. However, it scales better with overclocking, so if you are into overclocking, DDR3 @ 1600MHz will give you a slight edge. Of course, 2 Gb DDR3@1600 MHz seems as expensive as a mid-range core 2 duo.

a12ctic
September 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM
But you haven't actually used it have you?:)

But I agree with you about pricings, which will definitely reduce after some time.

Its not opinion, its fact. It doens't matter weather or not I've tried it yet.

PmDematagoda
September 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM
From what I've read, at default speeds DDR3 is just expensive memory, because DDR2's latency and timings (I never thought I'd say this, when DDR2 vs DDR was exactly the same) give it an even footing. However, it scales better with overclocking, so if you are into overclocking, DDR3 @ 1600MHz will give you a slight edge. Of course, 2 Gb DDR3@1600 MHz seems as expensive as a mid-range core 2 duo.

550 $ is very expensive, too expensive actually:(, seems more worth it to spend the money on a nice Quad-core with the works.

sp0onman
September 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
meh ddr3 isnt gonna be worth it for a while, till prices are down and it can out perform ddr2. its nothing to get excited about. i beleive some p35 and the new p38 mobo's can use it.

nowshining
September 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I suppose you've heard this before me, but Kingston has released DDR3 RAM, with the Hyper-X memory modules having a speed of 1375 Mhz:lolflag:, which is astronomical compared to the 533 Mhz RAM on my P4 mainboard.

Anyway, if anyone has used DDR3 RAM, I would really like to hear their views on the performance of the new RAM modules.

By the way could anyone tell me what types of mainboards use DDR3 RAM modules?

If anyone want's the link:-

http://www.kingston.com/hyperx/products/khx_ddr3.asp

Heck yours is faster than mine I think I think my DDR not 2 is at 333 - I may be wrong - i now wonder if there is a way to tell in linux..

jethro10
September 18th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Heck yours is faster than mine I think I think my DDR not 2 is at 333 - I may be wrong - i now wonder if there is a way to tell in linux..

Your PC bios boot screen should tell you, mine does.

My Development/test PC at wrk is also 333 :(

But, hey, it works!
J

PmDematagoda
September 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM

That's really strange as mine is DDR as well, not 2 and believe it or not my DDR seems to run XP faster than the DDR2 on my mom's laptop, though it may be because of Norton AV:p and the fact that the laptop has 512Mb RAM as opposed to the 1Gb RAM on the desktop with Kaspersky AV.;)