PDA

View Full Version : Do you plan On Upgrading or Formatting each time a new Ubuntu Version Comes out?

nowshining
September 18th, 2007, 04:59 AM
I am planning on ordering the Gutsy CD - final once it comes out in case and I only plan on if I ever do updating only to newer kernels and that's it, I plan to Stick with Gutsy. :) so what's your plans?

misfitpierce
September 18th, 2007, 05:03 AM
I plan on on upgrading if it auto upgrades newest kernel and everything? Does it?

If not then a full fresh install for me.

ExSuSEusr
September 18th, 2007, 05:05 AM
I'm pretty content with my current set up. Don't really *have* a need to upgrade to Gutsy at the moment.

I'll stick with Feisty for a while... Maybe put Gutsy on the laptop.

FuturePilot
September 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I'm going to try and upgrade my laptop. Not my desktop though, it's so hacked up right now with Pidgin and Compiz Fusion and the tons of 3rd party repos I have. It's pretty much guaranteed to break. But my laptop is pretty neat. Only 1 3rd party repo for Exaile. I hope it goes OK.

This is my first time attempting an upgrade. Up until now I've only done fresh installs. But I just got Feisty on my laptop after finding a workaround for my freezing problem. And I have everything just how I want it, so I really don't feel like reinstalling everything again. So I'm excited.:guitar:

pluviosity
September 18th, 2007, 05:12 AM
I am going to just install Gutsy overtop of Feisty. I have a home partition, which makes life easier ;)

nowshining
September 18th, 2007, 05:12 AM
wow that needs to be fixed doesn't it - it posts the posts beforeo one finalizes a poll..

Spike-X
September 18th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I'm happy to reinstall every time a new version comes out. Six months is a good interval for a bit of 'spring cleaning', I reckon.

aysiu
September 18th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I voted Other.

On my desktop, I'm probably going to do a dist-upgrade. On my laptop, I'm probably going to do a reinstall, but the "back-up" is just that I have a separate /home partition.

justin whitaker
September 18th, 2007, 05:25 AM
I am usually on the bleeding edge: I am using Gutsy now, so when it is released, I will be up to date. I do not recommend this path for others, I just find it fun. :)

mocoloco
September 18th, 2007, 05:30 AM
No re-install here, I've been upgrading since Dapper, and never had any problems. Actually it surprises me I' haven't broken anything to the point of needing a re-install since I tinker so much :).

ErusGuleilmus
September 18th, 2007, 05:31 AM
Always a fresh install

nonewmsgs
September 18th, 2007, 05:32 AM
each version has soo many improvements that i will surely upgrade everytime.

im even considering putting gutsy on my one computer right now to see if maybe my weird intermittant sound thing will fix itself.

Caffeine_Junky
September 18th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I voted to do a fresh install of Gutsy when it go's Final. Untill then I will just keep running the install I have now (T5 kept up to date).

I have a Multi-Boot setup ~ XP | debian etch (minimal KDE install) | Feisty | Gutsy (T5).

lol ..I have all bases coverd you could say :P

SpiritIsReality
September 18th, 2007, 05:50 AM
howdy
fresh install to the whole network!!

free linux books online
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=484846

trails

santy_kushwaha
September 18th, 2007, 05:53 AM
i dont think of formatting everything when the new version came out bcoz then i lost all the saved data so i rather prefer to do upgrading using the cd which is more faster than using the update one

misfitpierce
September 18th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Will upgrade auto update to new kernel and all?

DarkOx
September 18th, 2007, 05:58 AM
I've decided to draw a line in the sand with Feisty -- I won't upgrade my computer until KDE 4 comes out and is reasonably stable. As it is, I've got Fusion/AWN/Screenlets all installed and working well. I've improved font rendering, I've got my multimedia keys working, it's all done. Heck, Virtualbox is even giving me seamless integration now.

The thought of doing that all again (if more efficiently since I now know what I'm doing) is just... tiring. So I'll wait, probably until Kubuntu with KDE4 + 1 and then upgrade.

jrusso2
September 18th, 2007, 06:04 AM
I had feisty installed on a test box but I decided to keep edgy as feisty was so buggy.

I will see how gutsy is and decide if I am going to reinstall.

Dimitriid
September 18th, 2007, 06:08 AM
I havent given much though about it. I might do dist-upgrade but there are many things I need to do as prep work.

First I run nvidia driver on Envy so I need to take that out and put the restricted driver in instead. Then I made a bunch of changes to my grub file to enable some things on CLI ( namely higher resolution ).

On my laptop I have to find a way to backup the broadcom wireless firmware in case it does not transfers over. I also gotta look up some settings I changed cause the system locks up when login off ( have to make it kill X each time somewhere ). Then I need to back up /home on both systems.

Then I might risk the dist-upgrade. As you see is quite a bit of work.

Tux Aubrey
September 18th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I said "other" - I have been upgrading since Dapper - usually at the beta stage. I have recently messed up my main computer with new hardware so that it boots really slowly and have lost access to my DVD drive. I'll do a clean install of the final Gutsy in the hope that it fixes it. I'll also take the opportunity to re-partition my drives to give /home a separate partition.

I'll probably just dist-upgrade my two laptops as they both run Edgy really well.

I have another old machine that gets a new OS every week or so anyway. It will probably get the Gutsy alternate install eventually and I'll create a minimal fluxbox install.

I asked my two sons what they will do. One will upgrade his current Edgy box and the other just gave me the finger and told me I was a geek (he's a Windows user who should really think about leaving home) :)

r4ik
September 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM
As always a fresh install.

James7
September 18th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I am tempted to upgrade by the easiest means. If that doesn't work, I'll reinstall, using gutsy. :D

misfitpierce
September 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Updating with new kernel... If something fails then fresh install. Hope update will just update kernel and all and get rid of unneeded things.

Footissimo
September 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I hate it when a new version of Ubuntu comes along - each time I say that I'll stick with the current version for until the next one..and each time I last about a month before the curiousity gets me...but anyhoo, I always backup / reinstall. I have tried upgrading before, but it's just got very messy and broken =(