PDA

View Full Version : I need help in buying a new laptop

kinngg
September 18th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Hi, i want to get a new laptop which is not too expensive and also can work well with Ubuntu, any suggestions? Please give me the model and brand if possible

Crashmaxx
September 18th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Dell sells laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed now. That would certainly be my first choice. I have an old Dell 600m myself, pretty good machine, and very few problems with linux for being made for XP.

misfitpierce
September 18th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Yup for laptop hit

http://dell.com/open

1420 Inspiron with core2duo (centrino mobile with core2 inside)

Nice laptops

bmannering
September 18th, 2007, 04:46 AM
look up system 76 they also have laptops with preinstalled ubuntu. I actually just ordered mine and should be here within the next couple days.

RussianVodka
September 18th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Don't touch dell. They used to make good products while Michael Dell was still the CEO, now the new guy is cutting down on quality to make profit. I ordered an Ubuntu laptop from them in June, and it has a faulty screen. I'm contemplating sending it back to them for repairs.

Also, I work in tech support at my Uni, which has a contract with Dell. While Michael Dell was still CEO, about one in every 200-300 computers wouldn't work. Now it's about one in every 40.

Sure, the chances of you being that one out of 40 to get a faulty laptop are slim, but is it really a chance you're willing to take?

misfitpierce
September 18th, 2007, 04:54 AM
Negative... My friend ordered her's in june and it runs magnificently. In fact im going to order myself a DELL laptop. They are greatly priced and setup instantly with ubuntu. Don't mind ppl that have a factory problem. It happens. But from what I see my friends laptop is still running smooth with the hardware she ordered.

and for the person above me.... That chance goes with any company. Enjoy :)

atbnet
September 18th, 2007, 04:54 AM
I'd get a Dell with linux pre-installed. I've owned two Dell laptops without any real hassle. One had a hard drive die, but that happens.

Dimitriid
September 18th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Ubuntu Dell seems fine for most, but for me the price was just not competitive enough. In the end I went with Acer which packs an AMD x2 processor, 1gb RAM, 160gb hdd, double layer dvd combo drive and a nice 15.4 screen for $500 bucks I think.

Ubuntu went well on it with a few expected glitches ( restricted ATI driver its really bad but that will improve a lot a month or so ) ( another glitch was the broadcom wireless adapter which required special firmware, though that might work better out of the box under Linux Mint ) but overall a pretty good system with very solid almost out of the box experience for Ubuntu.