PDA

View Full Version : openBlog.ws: Ubuntu Introduction for Non-Nerds

Puppy fam
September 18th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I'm of the belief that there's a fundamental problem with how Ubuntu is being promoted. Virtually every Ubuntu-spreading campaign either assumes a level of technical proficiency only found in a small percentage of the population, or purposefully excludes non-nerds. I've tried my hand at creating a website specifically catering to this demographic: it's called openBlog.ws (http://www.openBlog.ws)

OK. I hear the sound of at least a dozen angry newbie-haters out there preparing on unleashing an angry tirade about how they long for the good 'ole days when the only people who could use linux were programmers skilled in at least two languages and how all these annoying newbies asking their stupid questions are driving them to the point of looking for a large cliff overlooking the ocean from which they could jump to find the sweet release only death can bring. Don't tell me you weren't thinking it. Anyway, don't worry, I try my best to paint Ubuntu in an utterly realistic light; no rosy, sun-shine-and-lolly-pop lies. That's the best I can do for you. Sorry, If all goes well, you'll probably have to put up with a few more dumb newbie questions. Give me your address and I'll send y'all a box of tissues.

If you find the site acceptable, please, use it! Give your friends who might be interested in Ubuntu the link for the Ubuntu article index: openBlog.ws/ubuntu (http://www.openBlog.ws/ubuntu)

I really hope that the site will be of use to the Ubuntu community in spreading Ubuntu. If I ever get a decent flow of traffic, I plan on putting a few small Adsense blocks on the site to support it. If that goes well, I may be able to spend the kind of time I'd like to on the site... Maybe write up explanations for several other open-source programs.

openBlog.ws is a work in-progress. I'd appreciate any input you have: from grammar corrections to technical issues with the articles or the site. It's all good.

I look forward to hearing any suggestions you have. Tell me how I can make the site more useful... I can't guarantee I'll have time to implement all suggestions right away, but I can tell you that I'll seriously consider all input.

Thanks!

Kingsley
September 18th, 2007, 01:27 AM
OK. I hear the sound of at least a dozen angry newbie-haters out there preparing on unleashing an angry tirade about how they long for the good 'ole days when the only people who could use linux were programmers skilled in at least two languages and how all these annoying newbies asking their stupid questions are driving them to the point of looking for a large cliff overlooking the ocean from which they could jump to find the sweet release only death can bring.
Lmfao. I'll visit your blog just because you're hilarious.

K.Mandla
September 18th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Virtually every Ubuntu-spreading campaign either assumes a level of technical proficiency only found in a small percentage of the population, or purposefully excludes non-nerds. ...
You should talk to the marketing team (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam), if you feel that way. I'm sure they'd be interested in suggestions.

OK. I hear the sound of at least a dozen angry newbie-haters out there preparing on unleashing an angry tirade about how they long for the good 'ole days when the only people who could use linux were programmers skilled in at least two languages and how all these annoying newbies asking their stupid questions are driving them to the point of looking for a large cliff overlooking the ocean from which they could jump to find the sweet release only death can bring. Don't tell me you weren't thinking it. ...
On another Linux site I might have been thinking it, but here I find it's generally the opposite. Most people go out of their way to be helpful to newcomers. Occasionally bad feelings arise, but those are the exception, not the rule.

We are all newbies, in one way or another. If there's a newbie-hater anywhere on UF, let the staff know so we can unleash the banhammer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banhammer). ;) (Oh we does love the banhammer. ...)

I've tried my hand at creating a website specifically catering to this demographic: it's called openBlog.ws
Great, I've added it to my blogroll. It looks good; I'll be watching it. :)

qpieus
September 18th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Nice job there, it looks good and reads well. I liked the ubuntu articles, they explained things nicely for people who are just learning about it.

Puppy fam
September 18th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the comments! I'm glad to know that the site is on the right track. And, yes, you're right, K.Mandla, I've also found this forum very welcoming to newbies... With the exception of a small, sometimes vocal, minority.

Thanks for the link, K.Mandla.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to promote the site? Is it ready for StumbleUpon? Are there any other linux sites that would be good for me to submit openBlog.ws for a link?

mostwanted
September 18th, 2007, 01:06 PM
.ws - is that a Welsh domain or what?

Puppy fam
September 18th, 2007, 01:27 PM
If I remember correctly, it used to be for Samoa, but due to a lack of interest now is available to all... Officially now it stands for Web Site,