PDA

View Full Version : The open source challenge: how to replace Windows completely with Ubuntu

karellen
September 17th, 2007, 08:47 AM
very in-depth analysis. and it ends with a - even if expected - positive conclusion. it would make a good read for beginners who want to try Ubuntu
http://apcmag.com/6574/replace_windows_with_linux_part_1_installing_and_u pdating_ubuntu
warning: long read :)

newbie2
September 17th, 2007, 04:56 PM
We've thoroughly tested these methods and taken screenshots of every step.
http://apcmag.com/node/5162/

easyease
September 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM
forget that crap, in one sentence.....port windows games to linux..

Rupertronco
September 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM
forget that crap, in one sentence.....port windows games to linux..

Add to that list: AutoCAD, Adobe's full Creative Suite and we're in business.

(I love gimp, but i've used photoshop for nearly a decade and it's hard to break that)

p_quarles
September 17th, 2007, 05:28 PM
The article tries to claim that the help forums are "not a solution." I'd just like to point out that all of his complaints save for one (encrypted DVD playback) are spelled out in step-by-step, command-line-free detail in the help browser that's included with Ubuntu.

Personally, I think this is like going to a big city you've never been to, and becoming angry when you get lost, because "I shouldn't need a map. This city should just work."

karellen
September 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM
well at least it's not bashing ubuntu without giving it enough credit

p_quarles
September 17th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I agree, the review was mostly very fair and accurate. It was just that last section that ticked me off. The author apparently didn't realize that you could actually click on that big question mark near the top-left of the screen.

Of course, the included manual could be a lot better, and the navigator is pretty lousy, but you don't have to go to the forums to figure out how to play MP3s. Just sayin'.

derekr44
September 17th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Three steps:

1. Insert CD
2. Wipe Drive
3. Install Ubuntu

Done :popcorn:

bluglue
September 22nd, 2007, 04:22 AM
I like how the author states that he is "a habitual upgrader" using Windows and the software from dominating companys that is pretty much nessasary to be able to be able to have any use from your computer you don't get a choice in that!